Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckystar22

Semi-custom modern mid-tier kitchen cabinets?

luckystar22
10 years ago

Help! We are remodeling our 1950's kitchen and would like a very modern look, specifically white, slab, (perhaps thermafoil).

We looked at IKEA but their wall cabinets don't reach to the top.

Most of the forum postings recommend Shiloh, Crystal, Omega, etc. as good mid-tier semi custom cabinets, but their door selection only shows slabs in wood colors or only have shaker doors.

For reference, our inspiration picture is:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchens-eclectic-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~2757096-modern-kitchen-san-francisco

This forum has been so amazing already, I look forward to any suggestions you may have.

Comments (15)

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

I just took on Elmwood, a brand of moderate priced frameless that has a number of options that are worth a look. If a "want" is drawers that don't need hardware( as in the photo), they have some but I'm not sure if about the configuration of those.

I've not had them long so no personal experrience to speak of. I did extensive research looking for a full access at that price, 2 yrs, when my other frameless brand went under. My SonIL has been installing them for a dealer in another state for a few years and has been happy working with them.
    Brookhaven has a door that may suit.

• Kpro123
    10 years ago

Check out Smithport..depending on where you live...By far, the best 'never heard of brand' on the market.
    Full custom @ semi-custom pricing.

• Buehl
    10 years ago

"...a very modern look, specifically white, slab, (perhaps thermafoil)..."

"...but their door selection only shows slabs in wood colors or only have shaker doors..."

First, I doubt you will find thermafoil in the better cabinets - thermafoil is usually used in lower-end cabinets. Be aware that thermafoil can yellow over time.

Second, have you looked at all doors styles and the details of the door styles for the manufacturers? For instance, Omega has Stainless Steel "slab" doors as well as other "slab" styles. They also have "opaque" finishes - e.g. "Pure White".

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

There are hi-end foils: Poggenpohl, Neff... American co's have come out with some to compete there for instance
    since OP asked mid range I left out my hi-end QCCI which has a whole line of foil formerly Saxton now called Opus, ( Omega will price in there especially $tainless doors:-) and Elmwood has them too.
    Surprusedd more frameless owners haven't chimed in, I'm sure there are other choices-?Ultracraft, Dura Supreme..?

This post was edited by jakuvall on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 7:47

• robbcs3
    10 years ago

Ultracraft and Elmwood

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

Would kraftmaid suit your needs? For us they came in about 20% more than ikea for a shaker style door. They do have a thermafoil but I don't know much about it as we went with maple. Good luck.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I just put in Bellmont 1900 series cabinets and they are very nice. They have a number of slab doors to pick from, including white thermafoil.

• bevwinchester
    10 years ago

What in the world is thermafoil? Is it a paint finish?

• Frazestart
    10 years ago

A recent post about frameless cabinets mentioned Dewils. According to their website, they do a variety of woods and thermofoil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dewils

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We are also in the market for modern cabinets. So far we have looked at Pedini and Alno (and IKEA), but haven't gotten prices from anyone. Where does Bellmont 1900 fit?

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Belmont is closer to Ikea than the other two.

• clg7067
    10 years ago

I'm going with Ultracraft in a combination of high gloss white thermofoil and rift cut white oak. They have custom sizes but I never asked about height, it's not an issue for me. Prices are good.

You can get the white look in painted maple.
    Here

Or the high gloss thermofoil. (seen in blue here)
    Here

The Adriatic slab has slightly eased edges, but there are other edge profiles.
    Here

If you want perfectly square, probably the painted wood would be the best choice.

If you go with thermofoil, make sure you get heat shields near the range/ovens. I think it's only affected on the self clean cycle.

I forgot to mention they also have an acrylic Ice White, but it has an edge that is somewhat metalic, therefore interupting the monotone look.

(The better thermofoils will not yellow, so I've learned online.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultracraft

This post was edited by clg7067 on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 12:18

• clg7067
    10 years ago

Here is a big thermofoil discussio on Houzz. You will hear many opinions, good and bad. I'm still going with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: [thermofoil[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/thermofoil-white-cabinets-what-do-you-think-dsvw-vd~267979)

• clg7067
    10 years ago

Check out this White Ultracraft Kitchen on Houzz.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Amin Residence[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/amin-residence-contemporary-kitchen-richmond-phvw-vp~981168)

• kathleencam
    10 years ago

We used Ikea cabinets and we had our contractors add a molding above the boxes so that the cabinets would reach the ceiling. They just used the cabinet end pieces and cut to measure. Definitely worth it. Looks like custom for very little money.