Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outlet covers?

Posted by KarMar00 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 10:49

As my electrician was putting in my outlets I couldn't help but think the white I originally said I wanted is too stark.
Do white covers belong only in white kitchens?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outlet covers?

If this was my kitchen, I would just have the guy put on the cheap plastic white ones. This is such an easy piece to change yourself. There are lots of fun outlet covers, from all colors to wood to different metals to funky designs. Put the white ones on for now and then live with them for a while and if they bother you, get new ones. No point deciding on this design detail now and holding up being done!

They look fine. If you already think they're too stark, get the almond plastic ones instead. What color is the trim in your house?

o

I would also suggest changing to screw less plates and paddle switches vs the toggles. Much cleaner look, and lots of color choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Screw Less switch plates

o

We changed our white outlet covers to screwless stainless and they look so much better.

o

My electrician had several shades of white/cream/almond from which to choose. The switches, outlets, and covers are all the same color.

o

IMO your best bet is to go with almond or ivory outlets, switches and faceplates. Lutron makes them.

o

I had the white ones initially and felt they were too white. I changed to ivory and now they coordinate well with the cabinets, and with the ceramic outlet/switch covers. As someone mentioned above, it was easy to change them out, not expensive either.

I am old fashioned and prefer the look of toggle switches.

o

We bought the oversize textured white steel Tay-Mac covers and spray painted them with a Krylon satin. Screws too. They fit a little more flush (flusher?) than the rigid plastic and don't deform anywhere as easily as the "unbreakable" nylon ones. There are LOTS more colors of paint one can choose from than the limited selection of colors the plate manufacturers decide we want.

You do lose the ability to exactly match outlet/switch color to the plate, but with common switch/outlet color choices of white, ivory, black, gray, and brown, you can get a good look that blends.

o

I just bought and painted wood outlet covers. 5 bucks apiece.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here