Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Positive reveal - how much?

sixkeys
9 years ago

The one thing I forgot to research! I tried a search on GW, but I'm having trouble and of course I need to figure this out right away.

This is a whole house remodel, so I need to decide bathroom sinks, kitchen sinks, and laundry sink.

How much reveal do you have and are you happy with it? Would you vary it by room? (I was thinking less reveal in the bathrooms for some unknown reason)

Thank you!

Comments (14)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Do you have an oval porcelain sink in the bathroom? I was told they are never perfectly oval so the only choice is to have a slight overhang. So that's one decision you might not have to make.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I have a zero or even a negative reveal on all my sinks - honestly I prefer that to a positive reveal. That little lip just seems to collect gunk. With a negative reveal you can just wipe stuff of the counter straight into the sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: UM Sink Reveals

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Most of the sinks are rectangular, except for the basement bathroom which has an oval sink.

I've read about pros and cons of negative/positive reveal and I know I want a positive reveal in the kitchen.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I went with 1/16 inch in the kitchen. Have never noticed anything resembling "gunk" getting hung up on it, and in any case, it's easy enough to rinse or wipe. I'd be more concerned about any gunk that might be hiding under a negative reveal.

There have been quite a few thread here discussing the pros and cons of various reveals. A google search mentioning gardenweb should help you find them.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I think my kitchen sink reveal is 1/8". I much prefer a positive reveal to a negative reveal (aesthetically, plus I'd rather have that little bit exposed for cleaning rather than hidden), however, because of the shape of the top of my bathroom sinks (Kohler Archer), I had to have a slightly negative reveal and it looks great.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

I have whatever the Blanco template was - it is minimal but sufficient to hold a cutting board, which is perfect imo.

• sjerin
    9 years ago

I was told by M Teixeira at the time they were installing (soapstone) that I could not have a positive reveal. I don't know the real reason for this but I was a little annoyed. Sure enough, I hate knowing that mildew-y gunk collects, just a little bit in that space and it's VERY hard to clean.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"I was told by M Teixeira at the time they were installing (soapstone) that I could not have a positive reveal. I don't know the real reason for this but I was a little annoyed."

Do you think it is something that is specified by the sink manufacturer? I always wonder if it's because the guys just don't want to take the extra effort on making the cut-out perfect. I would think it would be easier to hide imperfections regarding the shape when using a negative reveal, which could be a good thing.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

"I always wonder if it's because the guys just don't want to take the extra effort on making the cut-out perfect."
    I think you are right jellytoast, my fabricator was pushing for a negative reveal on my soapstone/silgranite, but I held strong with my 1/8" positive request (per the Blanco template and specs.) I get no particular gunk at the joint, but as others have said, I'd rather see any gunk and clean it, than not know it's there.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 18:27

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

...however, with regards to an oval bath sink and Caesarstone top, I let that same fabricator have his way with a negative reveal to hide the imperfect rim of the bowl...

• sjerin
    9 years ago

Yes, I do think it's more difficult to cut out a positive reveal and I wish I had specified this in the contract, so I wouldn't have had to argue with the guy.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Gorgeous countertop, sink AND reveal, breezy!

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Mine is small, but I was very specific about positive reveal, for the very reason others have mentioned. Take a look under a negative reveal sink (in your office bathroom, or in a hotel bathroom, etc.) - it's very gross. I want to be able to see and clean.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County