Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3" filler dilemma/idea

Posted by cal_quail (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 10:45

I bought the Rev-A-Shelf 3" pull out in anticipation of using it to the right of my sink. I can't, because the wall that's on is masonry and my electrical is surface run to get to the DW, garbage disposal, etc. I was coming up with things to put in it, but I'm not heartbroken to lose it. Cabinets are in. There's a filler wedged in now as a spacer.

Cabinets are frameless, natural cherry. Outsides of cabinets (meaning lining of current hole) is birch (beech?) laminate or whatever (it's the same stuff my wall of cabinets at school is constructed of inside and out).

With the current filler/spacer, it's flush with the front of the cabinet box. I ordered an applique for it to bring it out to door front level. Do I just do that and be done with it?

Everyone says that Rev-A-Shelf stuff has to be installed as your installing cabinets. My installer said he could have still installed it after the fact, since he put the spacer there. But once they finished running the electrical, that was out. I'm sure I could have someone make something. But is it worth it?

I looked at the 'What do you do with your t-towel?' thread and I thought about the idea of the pull out towel thing. I even have bought one that I think will go under the sink. But it's wider than the opening. And I don't think DH would go with something open.

Here's my either brilliant or silly idea that I came up with while typing...paper bags. I haven't figured out where to store paper bags. If I got someone to make me a unit like the rev-a-shelf one, but shallower due to my electrical, it could just be like a very, very narrow drawer to hold paper bags. I saw a pic of someone that had plexiglass sides on one, I can't remember what it held for them or where I saw it. I might have saved it. I'll look for it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please help.

I guess the question is, as we (hopefully) wrap up things with the contractor, how should I have him leave it if I'm unsure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3" filler dilemma/idea

I hear you on paper bag storage - we used to put them under the sink, but they could get unwieldy.

How about a little door on the space? The bags are big enough that you can easily reach inside to grab them or put them in. I don't think you need anything as fancy (or expensive) as a drawer.

o

Can make the applique into a door? It'd be perfect if they could...

o

Cal- how about making it tip out for your bags?

o

Oooh...how would one do that? Probably time to do some searching around on hardware sites.

o

Have you seen the above the fridge door trim with a piano hinge? Link Below. Maybe you can use that on the applique. How thick is the applique and will you be able to screw it into the non-masonry side? I had hoped to use that piano hinge trim above the fridge but it doesn't look like it will be feasible as we need an air gap and I only have an inch of space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Piano hinge on over the fridge trim

o

Cal- I saw someone do it but can't remember who - but the more I think about it- 3" is pretty small and doubt it would work.

o

I don't think the piano hinge would work. At least I can't picture it.

But I do think that a regular hinge could, except I don't know that there would be a way now to get down inside and attach it. Everyone says you have to install the Rev-A-Shelf type things as you're putting the cabinets in since they go between two cabinets. My installer said he'd be mounting it by screwing it from inside the two adjacent cabinets and could do it after the fact. But for hinges, they'd have to be installed in that crevice. Maybe they make some kind of an angled drill and screw driver thing and it could work. That'd be the hold-up. I don't know if the hinge could get attached to the outside of the adjacent cabinet at this point in the game. Otherwise, I think it would work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here