Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quickly please- give your opinions on kitchen trim choices

Posted by scrappy25 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 10:40

Hi, finalizing my order and wanted help with 2 choices.

1. Curved vs straight valence?
I wanted a straight valence over the kitchen window but now an second guessing my decision since my husband pointed out that the arched valence does reflect the corbels under the cabinets and would work as well. I need the valence to hide the wiring for the under cabinet lighting.
There is one picture each of the proposed curved and straight valences. The kitchen designer set the curved valence slightly back from the front of the cabinets. The straight valence would have one routed narrow runnel in it for decoration as well as the tiny straight molding across the top that continues from the cabinets. It is in plane with the front of the cabinets. The third picture is my existing cabinets (ignore the hood height mockup contraption over the sink) which have the straight molding across the top already . The fluorescent light will be changed to a recessed light. New cabinets will be white painted inset.
 photo photo_zps4c5f0b13.jpg
 photo photo2_zps6d2d0166.jpg
 photo photo1_zps03e53f6a.jpg

2. Beauty molding on bottom of soffit yes or no?

I added a tiny beauty molding to the bottom of the soffit. It adds a few hundred dollars and if it was clearly a plus I will keep it. However I am not sure if it is a plus or minus. I am re-showing the arched valence picture here since it best shows the beauty molding.
 photo photo_zps4c5f0b13.jpg
This next picture is an earlier rendition that shows the soffit without the beauty molding . Crown molding has since been changed to the one in the previous picture. There is no longer glass in the cabinet on the left and this does not yet show any valence in front of the window. BTW window has white trim not sure why it is brown in these renditions.
photo/media/photo3_zpsfe41cc3c.jpg.html" target="_blank"> photo photo3_zpsfe41cc3c.jpg

thanks in advance for your help!

This post was edited by scrappy25 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 10:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quickly please- give your opinions on kitchen trim choices

If you are having an electrician run new wiring for the under cabinet lighting, they should be able to run it separately for the pieces on either side of the window. But if you still need or prefer the valance, then I think the squared off style works well and I would chose the extra trim for the soffit.

Good luck!

o

thanks, for the UCL, I was thinking of having one transformer in the blind upper corner cabinet with connecting wires to the mirrored uppers, hence the valance. If the electrician runs wiring separately, will I need 2 transformers?
thanks for your opinions!

o

We are hiding our transformers in the drop ceiling in our basement below the kitchen. That said, I am not sure how they wired everything and the exact number of transformers they needed for all the UCL. Maybe you could verify with the electrician if that was your only reason for having the valance. You might save money even if you need an extra transformer if you eliminate the cost of the valance (of course I have no idea how much either of those cost!). But if you like the look of the valance then it's a non issue.

o

Valence is $175 so the cost might be a wash once electrical labor for extra wiring and transformer is factored in.

So, choices now:
1. Valence over sink: Curved or straight or none?
2. small beauty trim on bottom of soffit, yes or no?

o

1. Straight valence. Generally I'd say no valence, but in your case I think the valance adds form as well as function. Form in that it helps to draw the eye down to the cabinetry as your focal point. In the pic without a valence, the soffit stands out (because the window disappears so deep into it) and draws the eyes up.

2. I think the beauty molding (but the pic is had to see on my ipad).

Good luck. Looks like you will have one *gorgeous* kitchen whatever you decide!

This post was edited by taggie on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 13:32

o

I like the straight valance. It's less fussy.

What's that thing over the sink in the wood picture?

I look forward to your reveal!

o

I find these pics really hard to discern what you mean(about the trim on the soffit) but I think trim on the lower edge of the soffit draws my eyes to the soffit.

I vote straight trim too, the curved just seems a little too busy combined with the corbels -- but I really really like plain trim, so take that grain of salt with my opinion!

o

CEFreeman, that contraption over the sink is from when I mocked up the hood height for my family , to see if they knocked their heads on a 30.5 inch high 24 inch deep hood (they didn't).

Looks like the consensus is for a straight valence. That was my preference also. Thanks everyone!

Looks like the beauty molding is generally a positive but raee does have a point about it perhaps drawing the eye up. Anyone else on that?

o

I like the straight valance and no beauty molding. I like the look of the straight line of the ceiling molding with the straight line of the soffit reinforced by the straight line of the valance. It makes the soffit look like part of the plan while the molding kind of looks like you're trying to "hide" it. Just my opinion; I happen to like simple straight lines!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here