Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cambro5

HELP! My granite smells funny.....

cambro5
15 years ago

Accidentally posted to Home Decorating forum.... sorry if this is repetitive....

I was cleaning my kitchen this morning and realized something smelled off. I checked towels, sponges, etc., and they were fine. Then I sniffed my stove top - a flat one - and it smelled a little strange. Then I sniffed my granite and it also smelled strange. Yes, I looked like a crazy person! It's not all my granite, just the areas around my sink and stove that get the most use. Am I not Cleaning it right?? I use a granite daily spray with papertowels and/or microfiber cloths and it certainly seems clean to me. Anybody ever experience this? Any solutions? I know there is some poultice you can use for stains, maybe I should try that? BTW, my granite is uba tuba so not exceptionally porous... HELP!

Comments (22)

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

Check the dishrag/sponge that you last used to wipe it down. Chances are it was musty.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I would also check the granite spray you are using. Is that the smell you are picking up? I can't imagine why but maybe something in has turned bad.

• sam_b
    15 years ago

In reading the two prior responses, it might be a good idea to describe the odour you're smelling. My first thought was the same as lightlystarched..... a musty odour transferred from the cloth, but perhaps that's not the kind of smell you're talking about and eandhl is on the right track. I don't know where you live, but here in Ontario, Canada, we've had a ton of rain this summer. I've noticed that our dishcloths are getting musty smelling within a day or two, maybe due to added moisture in the air. I also think I've developed some weird acute sensitivity to that smell recently. Good luck!

• weissman
    15 years ago

It's the radon oozing from your granite. Run for your life!

Sorry I couldn't resist :-)

• patti823
    15 years ago

What kind of smell is it? I have Ubatuba and have never noticed any type of smell. How long have you had the granite? If it's relatively new and the smell is by the stove and sink, could it be from the epoxy they used? Hope you get to the bottom of this!

• patti823
    15 years ago

I have used the Granite Gold on my Ubatuba and didn't notice any type of smell. I did switch to the Method brand (did you try at Target, that's where I got mine) because of so many recommendations here and I love the smell!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Well no worries...Radon smells like cinnamon :oP

(Wiseman started it)!!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I know you said you checked your towels, etc. But, our dish cloths get a "sour" smell after one or two days of use (don't know why) so we use them one day & then throw them into the dirty laundry. (I do bleach them...that seems to be the only way to get rid of the odor. Bacteria maybe?) Anyway, anything we wipe down w/a cloth that smells takes on that odor. For hard/non porous surfaces, I can just wipe down again w/a hot, very soapy (clean) cloth to get rid of the odor.

Is it possible you had also used a cloth that had that odor but had since put it in the laundry?

[With porous materials, however, it's a different story. We had an instance where my DD got sick & w/o thinking I used a cloth from the previous day to wipe down the sofa (faux leather!). That sofa smelled for months afterward...I tried everything! It did eventually go away...but like I said, it took months! New FR furniture is on the list after new carpet and paint!]

• Buehl
    15 years ago

IglooChic & Weissman...stop that!

:-)

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Try about 10% rubbing alcohol to 80% water. Spritz some on the counter and wipe good with a paper towel. See if the smell goes away.

• cambro5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will try the rubbing alcohol -thanks for the tip, I think I'm afraid to use anything not labeled 'for granite'!! I don't think it is the cloths or anything because not ALL the granite smells funny, just the area around my stove and next to my sink. In other words, the areas that get the most use... I'm definitely going to Target and getting the other brand!

As far as radon is concerned, I figure I'm somewhat covered as we have a radon removal system in the house already....of course, it's in the basement... the counters definitely don't smell like cinnamon...that might be nice!

buehl, I know about smelly sofas, that's next on my house fixer upper list!!! FR sofa is old and gross!!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

For 5 yrs I used the Alcohol/water combo to clean my granite with no problems. I am not saying use it daily just see if it eliminates the smell.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

weissman! You beat me to it! I was racing to post a radon warning until I saw your post dogonit. That'a a word isn't it?

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I expect no less from weissman and Igloo!! they are both wisea**es LOL
    breezy- yes but its doggonit! 2 gs!! :)

• egyptianqueen
    12 years ago

Im having the same problem and I also checked my towels, sponge and dishcloths and then found it to be the granite COUNTERTOP. ITS ACTUALLY SMELLS OF FISH. And permeates through out the entire kitchen..even my daughter noticed it when she came over.the smell is that strong ( AND NO I dont cook fish). I WAS FLOORED!!!

but I used the alcohol and water even before I saw it here and it helped a lot..(found it on the web)
    was my granite suppose to be sealed?? if so, no one told me about that, only to seal the tile behind the counter

• jensen_jim065
    8 years ago

New granite installed it does smell funky, going to try the alcohol & water - hope it works.

• Steven Werner
    6 years ago

I have a different type of granite and mine smells like cat piss around the edge where the sink was cut. You are not alone.

• rcmp01
    6 years ago

I have learned that Granite countertops start to smell after awhile. They need to be resealed. There is a mildew smell that you will start to notice after they are washed or get wet.

• Christine Basile
    4 years ago

Mine also smells! In particular, it smells around the flat top. I see the alcohol and water suggestions so I will certainly try that but should I reseal? The countertops are about 3 years old.

• mstarmi
    4 years ago

my brand new granite countertops have drawers under them and when I open the drawers now I smell a sort of earthy, musty smell. When I put my hand on the material above the drawers, it's just plain old granite - no wood in between. I had old granite that was there and no smell. The new granite definitely makes the drawers underneath it smell Is there a remedy for that? What if they installed "moldy" granite? How would one know?

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

In the 10 years since the post began, the silicone has probably cured by now and stopped smelling.