Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anldsmom2

Converting a Wood range hood cover to a cabinet

anldsmom
9 years ago

After 10 yrs of living with golden oak and chipped 80's blue formica, I am finally getting to remodel my kitchen. I am seriously short on cabinet space right now and have kitchen items overspilling into other storage areas in the house. One way I would like to try to add more cupboard space is by installing a horizontally rear vented, under cabinet range hood beneath a functional cabinet. The entrance to the kitchen makes the range area the focal point of the kitchen and I really love the simple wood mantel look. We are going with Shiloh cabinetry and they have this hood, which I love the look of, but it isn't meant to be a functional cupboard, although the doors do open to access the blower. Would it be possible to retrofit something like this with a wood bottom so that it could become a functional cabinet? The other thought was to order a regular cupboard and having the bottom area custom made by my GC/Installer, but I worry that will end up being more easily botched. (Although I have a lot of confidence in his skills.)

The I've easily found undercabinet hoods that are less than the 10.5" tall the underside of the hood cabinet is supposed to be, which can be made in 22" and 24" depths. A standard 30" wide hood wouldn't fit inside a 30" wide cabinet, so it'd have to be narrower. I'd like at least 300 cfm, but haven't found that in a narrower unit. But maybe 200 cfm would be fine, if I get what I want aesthetically.

I know my kd should be figuring this out, but he seems stymied by the idea. (Really like him otherwise.)

PS This is my first post, but I've spent years reading and learning so much from the experts here! Thank you for helping me!

Here is a link that might be useful: 5.5 high x 17.5 deep by 24 wide 200 cfm range hood

Comments (2)