Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another range hood height question.

Posted by ChristyMcK (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 10:15

Our Vent-a-hood is a 21" deep 9" tall hood recommended it be 24-27" above the cooktop. It is 600-900cfm (it claims it's 600 is work 900 cfm) with dual blowers. Our range is a Lacanche with the highest burner being 18k. Total BTU capacity is 64k. My husband is 6'3" and I'm 5'6".

27" seems low. I realize the higher you go the more you lose in capture but what's the highest you would go given these specs?

My main concern is my husband hitting his head when cooking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another range hood height question.

following! I'm 5'10" and want my hood to be functional, but I also worry about having it in my way while cooking.

o

I recommend visiting as many showrooms and real homes as possible with a tape measure. You will get a feel for how high you want the hood to be. Having a hood wider than the cooktop helps with capture.

o

We had a similar dilemma. Looking at showrooms didn't work for us because our space is small and showroom space large. If possible, mark up wall above range area to check out height differences. We waited until cabs were in to get a realistic feel.

o

Our range is 39" wide and hood is 42" wide. It's a little off center because it's a retrofit with existing cabinetry. Perhaps a piece of cardboard sticking out 21" placed at different heights might be helpful - thanks for the idea!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here