Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When did you fill your cabinets?

Posted by cal_quail (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 10:15

DH and I are very much in disagreement about this. I think we need to fill slowly as time/work allows, knowing some things will move (as other things get put away) and some things will have to move out and in again (as workers still have things to do).

I was not a 'plan-it-all-out-while-designing-the-kitchen' person.

We have (almost) no one working in the kitchen until floors go in next Tuesday. (Electrician might show up to do a couple things, hopefully someone will install the vent hood and water line to the fridge in there somewhere).

We're missing some pantry shelves, so I see not putting any food away now. But I'd like to get pots & pans, mixing bowls, glasses etc. put away. I couldn't resist and have been putting away small appliances (Had to try the Susan).

What did you do? All at once when reno was totally complete? In planned out bits and pieces? In random bits and pieces?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When did you fill your cabinets?

I knew exactly what I wanted in some drawers and shelves, but in most of them I just stuffed things in sort of grouped together correctly but not necessarily where I wanted them. My main concern was getting stuff clean first, because it had all been packed away for awhile. I ran loads and loads in my new dishwasher and stashed stuff as it came out of there.

I really needed to use the kitchen for a week or two before figuring out where I wanted most of it. I didn't mind emptying out cabinets and reorganizing but it was also fairly easy because I have a lot of counter space and almost all drawer storage.

o

Hate to be the downer here, but until all the trades are done, counters, floors, etc, more dust will be generated by each one (voice of experience), which means you will need to wipe out the new cabinets (again) and clean whatever you have in them. Understand your motivation, but it will make more work in the long run.

o

If "workers still have things to do" than wait until the job is complete.

o

We also waited until dusty messes were no longer happening. When the granite counter tops went on, they also cut bits out of the tops of the cabs to place the support bars - more sawdust. When that was done, things were ready to go. The only thing that happened after dishes were back was tiling the backsplash. That mess doesn't affect what's in the cabs.

o

Ok. Another case of DH is right. :x
Please don't tell him. I'll place stuff that I can't stand not to see how it fits, adjust shelves, take pics, and return stuff to its temporary home.

Thanks.

o

I didn't wait but a minute to fill those cabs! I had a general idea of what was planned to go where during design stage, so I took the opportunity to try it out. I had the cab ppl make adjustments on things like pantry rollouts, etc while they were still doing things like crown molding. Already past most of the dust related activities though. However, I was tired of living out of boxes and the remodel. Filling those cabs did wonders for my psyche. I think the only cabs that had to be emptied and refilled were the top ones during countertop install. I still am using my toaster oven 24/7 and just get to look at a beautiful stove, but that's another story.

o

I just remember schicksal's invisible counter tops. I figure if it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me. ;)

I've definitely avoided the places I KNOW they'll be working, ie: the drawer below the speed oven where they still need to deal with electrical. And I assume the top drawers will need to be emptied, but that will be the case when my inserts get here anyway.

o

Yes schicksal's invisible countertops! That was so descriptive, lol

o

I waited about 15 minutes after cabinets were completely installed!!! I even filled the top drawers and yes, I had to clean them out and everything in them several times before the counters were installed but I didn't care. Cleaning them out several times was easier than the way we were operating in the kitchen throughout the reno. The only cabinet I didn't fill was the sink base. Too much had to be done under there that had to wait until after countertops.

o

I admit, after placing some things and removing them again. We've placed more. I need to do so to figure out what additional shelves and ROTS we need.

We're not putting food in, but we're putting other stuff in except for a few key spots they still have work.

o

I'm still doing it 3 years and counting. Things get constantly rearranged and rethought.

o

I moved into the uppers immediately after installation, and into the lowers once the counter was placed. I couldn't wait to move in!

o

We had kitchen things sprawled over the whole house for 2 weeks, and ate mostly microwave meals. It was driving us crazy. So as soon as the cabinets were installed and topped with plywood, we put away all the dishes and food. I installed the sink and made a temp faucet mount, and used that for a week before the granite came. Then a week after that the cabinet doors were painted and installed. The most frustrating thing is waiting on contractors who keep making excuses for delays. Try to get all decisions made ahead of time, so they never have to delay on your accord.

o

I had invisible counters too, for about a month. I didn't put in plywood tops, or have a sink, but things were put away, shelves were adjusted, drawer inserts made. I saw no reason to wait. Most of the kitchen was stored in boxes in the basement all summer; the few things we kept out were on metal shelves and a card table in the dining room.

o

As my toys and interests change, the drawer and cabinet organization shifts. So in a way, I'm still moving--not in but around.

Like others, I had a general idea of where I planned things and moved into wall cabs after they were installed. I didn't move into the island or perimeter until countertops were in because it was only a couple of days. (lucky me)

Moving in is fun. I hope you have the time to enjoy it. Place things, think about them, change your mind. Analyze and ponder. Play.

o

I think I am going to wait till the counters are in though I am mentally arranging and rearranging stuff all the time. Our temporary kitchen set up is working very well. So I don't want to disrupt that when we won't have a functional sink and DW for another two weeks or so.

o

vinudev, I think you're the first person in the history of GW to say "our temporary kitchen set up is working very well"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here