Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crack in River White Granite

Posted by Clfx2go (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 10:13

Noticed this "crack" in granite 3 days after it was installed which was the first time I looked at it. River White granite. It is rough / raised when you run you hand over it. Can this type of thing be repaired to be imperceptible or should I be insisting on a new slab?

This post was edited by Clfx2go on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 23:43

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crack in River White Granite

It's a crack without a shadow of doubt. Don't let your builder fob you off with any rubbish about that being a vein. If I were you, I'd be asking for new slab.

o

From someone who is far, far from a stone expert, that is so obviously a crack. I would be so insulted that the builder tried to convince me otherwise. Definitely insist on a new slab.

o

That slab was cracked and filled at the factory, I'll bet. There's no way it got to look so contaminated in three days.

I could make it look much nicer and nearly unable to be felt, but inconspicuous is going to be tough and invisible ain't happening.

o

That's really too bad. You do need a new slab. Our slab cracked as they were putting it on, so they had to get us a new one, and worked on a holiday to get it done.

Good luck to you.

o

Recently I looked at a remnant at a stone yard with a crack much like that one, colored the same. The dealer said the crack had been filled/repaired at the quarry. He also would not allow me to purchase the remnant for my sideboard (I did not mind the crack too awfully much) because he said it was, without a doubt, a big weak spot. He said he hopes and expects somebody to come along and take smaller pieces from either side of the crack. I desperately appreciated his honesty and integrity, even though it was "only" remnant and "only" a sideboard top and not even an active kitchen counter.

Don't accept that slab.

o

" because he said it was, without a doubt, a big weak spot."

He is mistaken. Modern adhesives are stronger than stone. I know this from taking seams apart. Even with saw kerf relief below, there's no promise it will break at the seam.

The pictured crack is a nice big fat one too with plenty of adhesive.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 12:41

o

Well that guy turned down an opportunity to sell me a nice big piece of granite, so I am satisfied that i made the right choice. I guess I can't speak for anybody else.

o

Thank you all, you confirmed what I was thinking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here