Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash Solution Please!!

Posted by marnopolis (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 10:10

Hi everyone,

We recently relocated our over-the-range microwave and had a cabinet range hood built.

The 3x6 tumbled backsplash tile samples just arrived and they are much whiter than the existing tiles, as you can see from the photo.

The stone place where the backsplash was purchased years ago is now closed and these sample tiles we have are the same name - Tumbled Pearl - but I know natural stone can vary a lot. It's also possible that the grout, which I found there is some on the tile fronts, may have yellowed over the years and it's possible I could polish them and it would make them whiter.

We could do an accent over the range but I definitely want a clean look and not another color, especially since the space is only 30" wide.

I like herringbone tile, what if we found it in the a similar color and placed it in the space over the range? We could buy the 3x6's (that I have samples of) and do a herringbone pattern in that space.

Please give me your ideas!

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash Solution Please!!

You could consider painted glass backsplash for the whole area above the range. The caveat being that the current tiles above the range need to be cut out neatly to avoid jagged ends.

http://www.houzz.com/painted-glass-backsplash

o

Beautiful hood. IMO, close always looks like a miss. You could keep looking for a matching stone, dont try to match by name. Take one of your tiles with you. You could also remove the tile in the stove backsplash space and reinstall it intermixed with something new in a pattern, use it to frame a new insert, or just go with all of a new, not necessarily high contrast, tile or even a stainless sheet.

o

With your fridge, stove, and DW visible in the pic, you're talking about a small area of backsplash. I'd just replace it with something new.

o

You could do a stainless steel just behind the range, maybe even with a shelf, like this:

o

Or you could put a cap on the existing tile and just paint above it to match the cabs.

o

You could also put a shelf there, maybe 6 or 8 inches deep, and paint above it.

o

I would just paint it and if the difference bothers you, put a decorative platter of some sort. Or put in a glass or stainless steel shelf at the partition. Beautiful Hood!

o

I will soon be having the same problem. We are doing stainless behind our range. I think it would look nice in your case, or even just a shelf like others suggested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here