Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you pair bin pulls with flat fronts?

Posted by Hydragea (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 10:09

Hey -
I rather like the look of bin pulls, but I also like the look and ease-of-cleaning (and price!) of flat-fronted cabinets.

So I'm wondering whether you can pair the two, or is this crazy-talk?

Also - Any pics of this combo would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you pair bin pulls with flat fronts?

More and more I'm appreciating slab fronts. I just went to Houzz and searched on "slab front drawers bin pulls" (without the quotes). By about the third photo I found this. Example on left of photo. Looks fine to me.

o

Yes, definitely. We'll be doing that, and we had it in our old home. Basically the exact look pictured above.

o

We'll be putting bin pulls on our flat fronts, too!

o

We think they pair well. Here are some of ours (5 piece on drawer fronts taller than 8", slab on the shorter drawer fronts):

photo HPIM1297.jpg

o

But the white kitchen has shaker cabs. I thought OP wanted all slab fronts.

Below, scroll down to Pal's post.

Here is a link that might be useful: flat fronts bin pulls

o

Pal's post shows slab, but they're inset. In the same post, though, I saw this pic of slab fronts without the reveal (Frameless, I think they're
called?), which is sort of what I was considering:

Photobucket

I don't know about you, but I think it looks rather nice!

Those slab fronts seem to have a slight curve at their edges, and I'm thinking that's why they can accept a bin pull. Seems like if those doors had very square edges, they would require a more modern pull.

o

We're doing pulls on the lowers, flat-front uppers (pull from bottom lip or pop-latch). Pix soon :)

o

Nosoccer, the drawers in the white kitchen have slab fronts; the doors are 5-piece. That's what is typical in real shaker furniture.

We were going for transitional/contemporary in a mid-70's MCM house. After living with them for 20 years, we were tired of slab self-pull (i.e. just a finger notch on the edge of the door or drawer) cabinets.

We chose a simple shaker door on frameless cabinets with a non-fussy clean line bin pull for the drawers and I think it works without fighting with the house.

o

Are 5-piece with raised outer pieces, or is it basically flat?

o

I don't have any pics but we have cup pulls on our flat drawers shaker cabinets in our kitchen and our bathroom. To me it looks perfect.

o

Nosoccermom, I'm not sure if you are asking about my kitchen or the white kitchen. In both cases the doors are 5 piece with the panel recessed like for typical shaker doors. The drawers (in our case the drawers less than 8" high) are slab, i.e. a single flat piece of wood for the front).

In our kitchen, as you can see in the picture, the taller drawers are 5 piece with the same profile as the doors - rails and stiles raised with a recessed flat center.

Here is a more close up picture showing the bin pull on the top rail of one of the tall drawers and a bit of the slab drawer front above with its bin pull:
 photo maple-a.jpg

o

Modern slab DOOR cabinets (NOT shaker doors and slab drawers) is what the OP is talking about. And while the design police might not arrest you for mixing very contemporary with very traditional, they will whisper behind your back.

o

I posted that picture from Houzz upstream. I wasn't paying attention to whether there were 5-piece mixed in with slab. The OP asked if bin pulls could be paired with flat fronts (slab). When I found a pic that showed flat fronts (drawers) I thought there they are and they look dandy. Whether an entire kitchen of slab will support them, I cannot say because I have no clue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here