Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Really fantastic broom - I know it exists

Posted by GWlolo (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 10:09

Hoping someone here can help me find it. Several years ago, we rented a vacation home that had a broom that was fantastic. Picked up the finest dust and crumb in a single sweep. It was not plastic or plant fiber.. It seemed to be some sort of a hair. It had a nice hardwood handle. I even gushed about it to the home owners and asked them. They said it was from Germany. I had forgotten all about it until last night when DH and I were making a list of supplies for the house and he happened to remember the broom. Does anyone have any clues?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really fantastic broom - I know it exists

I thought your post was funny, so I just googled "German brooms" and there are a lot! There's a youtube video with the title "Schmutz Haken - The best broom you'll ever own". Let us know if you figure it out.

o

Our family is German and we grew up with a broom just like you describe. I have never seen one since, but I can at least confirm that such a thing does exist! I'd be keen to know what it is. I can ask my Mom to see if she knows.

o

Try googling "horsehair broom". Is that what it was?

o

Writersblock --> that maybe it. It looks like something we used. There seem to be a few different kinds. I hope we have someone who will chime in and say which kind is best for kitchen use.

o

How about:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Laundress-Horse-hair-broom/dp/B000OR42EE/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1376957699&sr=1-1&keywords=horsehair+broom+the+laundress

o

I have just been wondering the same thing! We have a banged up old nylon bristle broom, upon which I will blame my consistently crumby (not crummy) floors. Do I purchase one of these uber-brooms and have no further excuse for the shoddy housekeeping? Of course, there are always the small children to point the finger at...:D

o

My inlaws had a fantastic broom, they had purchased it when they were living abroad- I wonder if it was German?
I recently went through a broom quest but didn't get a wonder broom. I did get a electric stick broom- the ergorapido. It was recommended on a GW thread. I really like it. I keep it plugged in, in the pantry and it is easy for me to tell a kid to run it around the kitchen. It grabs the crumbs, dust, leaves, dog hair that the day has wrought.

o

I don't have a German broom, but I do love some really cool kitchen gadgets that I got while living in Germany. My all time favorite is the double peeler! Whips thru a bag of carrots in no time.

o

I don't think the Schmutz Hagen is the one you are searching for as it has a steel retractable handle. I am looking for a good broom as well so I will be following this post.

o

I'll be following this as well, and how about a broom pan that has a lip so thin everything can be broomed in, I find the pans with the rubber lip don't allow all the crumbs to go in in one swoop.

o

This thread inspired me to finally get a new broom. I opted for this one on amazon. Cheap with good reviews, including one from a German reviewer who loved it (Germans apparently having the gold standard in brooms - who knew??)

Here is a link that might be useful: Broom

o

Lolo, Nessentials dot com has the broom you are looking for. It is German made horse hair broom. After reading about it I decided on the split horse hair. The head and handle are sold separately.

o

editing double post

This post was edited by mitchdesj on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 7:49

o

There are some beautiful handmade brooms on etsy. I don't know if they are great brooms or not though I would think maybe they are. And they are beautiful which is a plus when you are doing a chore like sweeping.

o

Nessentials - I am checking that out!

o

I still buy straw brooms from hardware or grocery stores. I try them out in the store: they must be tight, light, long but even, and have one slightly longer pointed end for getting into corners. I never get them wet. It just wrecks the straw. The handle should be fixed on tightly including that top blue plastic part: preferably it should hang on a closet door in one of those metal snaps and not fall down.

I fully get what you're saying about the lip of the dust pan. In my recent remodel, my old, great size metal pan with perfect lip was one of the remodel casualties-some worker agreed it was perfect for the job.

Slightly O/T, but Miele vacuum heads use to be horse hair, and now are nylon bristles. Gone are the day of efficient one pass sweeping. I weep (okay, sigh or sw**r) every time I pull out my vacuum and have at it, longing for the good old days.

o

Whoa. I need this broom from that nessentials site. What a fabulous idea.

And what's with all the German kids sweeping? That seems like a really good idea.... now, where to find some German kids....

Here is a link that might be useful: dusting broom

o

They start them young in the ''Kindergarten''.. see the brooms for 1-3 yr olds :)

o

Hi -

I'm wondering if anyone has ordered and received the broom from that nessentials website? I'd love to hear your review of it! We need a really good broom for our three-story of hardwood floors! Thanks!

Alexa

o

Hi Alexa,

I ordered one. Don't have it yet. Will post a review when I get it.

o

I am totally interested in the feedback on the nessentials broom as well. I have been eyeing it. My broom just broke and I need to replace it. So tired of the brooms you get at the stores here.

o

I was surprised also to hear that Germany produces the gold standard in brooms. But then I remember back to my summer in Europe in college. Out of every city we went to, Munich was *by far* the cleanest city. Someone told me that the German people sweep their steps, sidewalk, and even the curb in front of their house (every day?). So it makes sense they would need good brooms !

o

We have used the Rubbermaid dustpans for many, many years. The lip is thin enough that everything will broom into. They will last for years. I can find them only at Ace Hardware now. You can order the 6-pack I have linked below or Ace Hardware will order only one for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubbermaid Dustpan

o
Microfiber mop

For my hardwood floors, I use the O-Cedar microfiber flip mop. I got it from Sam's with an extra cover for $14.48. It's very lightweight, the head swivels & flips in any direction that you need, you can even lay it flat and go all the way up under furniture.

The head cover is machine washable. But we will also lay down the handle and just vacuum the dust up off of the head. They now also have "dual action" covers which are blue & white striped on one side and blue mop head fibers on the other side.

The reviews on Walmart & Sams have people using it for walls and showers and other places as well. I liked it so much, I went back and bought another for our rental house (LOTS of sand to sweep up there!). You do still have to sweep/dustpan up the pile you make.

Edited to add pics

This post was edited by angela12345 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 6:54

o

I received my horsehair broom from ness entails yesterday. It really is a great broom (should be for the price). I am glad that I got it as it's definitely the best broom I have ever had but the handle is a bit longer than I need. If I decide to give it a spin on Halloween there will be plenty of room for my cat. Lol.

o

I've been looking for this elusive broom for 16months now. Dutch Wood has one, and when they would show up, I would ask if I could use it to sweep up the hardwood floors in the house (this was during construction of the house). They would just laugh, and say "sure" and hand it over. I have not been able to find a broom like this.

Of course, did I ever ask them where it was from? No.

I will check all the above info out!

So excited about a broom. I must be crazy.

o

Which model are you guys getting? Are you also getting one of their dustpans? I wouldn't mind getting a couple of little German kids to actually wield the brooms. I'd even buy them their own children's brooms.

Recently I cleaned up my garage. Lots of dust. It was a real sneeze-fest. I found using a handbrush into a dustpan was amazing. I just need one of those on a long handle so I don't have to stoop as much.

o

Bee, I was excited too and was anxious to get home to try it out. I am extremely pleased with it.

Linelle, I got the split horsehair model as the site indicated that split horsehair was the best one surface-wise. It amazes me that a quick sweep picks up all the dirt in the grooves between the planks in my hardwood. Hope you and Bee enjoy your brooms as much as I do mine.

o

Hi Holly -

Would you mind posting the link to which one you got? I'm considering this funky one that wraps around b/c we have three floors of hardwood floors in a 1917 colonial (plus three women and two dogs!) We have a lot of "corner" dust build up - somehow magically it appears everyday. But I'd be intrigued to know which exact broom and handle you got (the handles sort of confuse me?)

As an aside, I might also have to get that adorable little table sweeper - did you see that? It's shaped like a porcupine with the bristles on the back?!!?

Here is a link that might be useful: (Crazy) Dusting Broom Vienna Style

o

Sorry, it's a hedgehog. I mean... are you kidding, crazy German sweepers... that's adorable!

Maybe I can get my kids to clean all their crumbs off the table after every meal with this hedgehog!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedgehog table sweeper

o

Horsehair broom. William-Sonoma has them. It's a once-in-a-lifetime purchase for sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Horsehair Broom

o

Well, I ordered this one from Amazon just for fun after this thread started. It's not horsehair, rather it's a synthetic split end. And it was only 16 bucks.

But...

Just did a quick go around the kitchen floor and it really works great. I didn't have to go back over any area a second time and I've been cooking in there all day today.

I could see actually sweeping up after dinner with this thing!

I'd say 16 bucks was well worth it. Beats any broom I've had in my life thus far.

Thanks for starting this thread... now I have a good broom and i didn't even know I wanted one!

Here is a link that might be useful: Harper broom

o

OK, I ordered the Italian Horsehair broom from William-Sonoma (known on their website as the Tri-color Broom.)

I'm not sure it's a keeper...?

First, the bristles tends to really flop to the sides, thus putting the structure of the broom bristle area close to hitting the ground.

Second, the length of the broom is such that the sides of the structure are exactly the same as the bristles. It has little bumpers on it b/c they know you're going to hit things with it. When I tried to sweep under my toe kick, the edge of the broom hit the cabinet or toekick every time.

I ordered the Gondaletta broom from WS as well and am excited to use that around the toe kick - looks like a great solution? Unfortunately, only the HANDLE arrived in the box with no broom top. Grrrr...

And, finally, I ordered the swivel broom from WS for under our "cabinet vanity" in our powder room and other tricky places. Well, it only swivels left or right of the pole, not forward or back (so you can't swivel it down and pull it towards you.) And, the dustpan that comes with it has big gaps on the side between the rubber lip and the plastic. Not helpful.

SO...How are those of you liking your German brooms? May have to go that route...?

(With no pressure down, just resting on floor)

Silly dustpan:

o

kitten1313 and deedles, looks like you guys bought the same broom. I like the price and the shape. The one akcorcoran got (that s/he's not that crazy about) seems a bit more broom than I'm looking for. I want a broom I can control.

o

linelle: I like it. Great broom, great price.

o

• Posted by GWlolo 9b/ Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 19:41

Ok.. My nessentials package arrived and here is my feedback

I really really like the split horsehair broom. I have no carpet and only tile and hardwood in my indoor-outdoor California house with 5 entres to the house and the broom does a great job! Not having to go over twice for the same area makes this worthy in my eyes. Hoping this will last and pay for itself:) And can I say that it makes using a broom feel nice :) I thought you guys might like to see how the split horsehair looks. Pardon the iPhone pics but can see how it picks up really fine dust. It basically has a thick head of hair. It seems to be manufactured by A German company called "Reines Rosshaar". Did a nice job of gathering the fine dust to the vacpan to get sucked up.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I also got the cute hedgehog crumb sweeper. Seemed to be a fitting animal motif for my gardenweb kitchen :) BTW, this is available in Crate &Barrel as well.

DH also got the horsehair duster as the old wood ceilings in our home seem to attract a lot of spiders. This is made by a company called Redecker and is basically a wood base horsehair duster with a lightweight aluminum handle. The jury is still out on this as the handle just seems to be jammed into a hole in the wood base.

This post was edited by GWlolo on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 19:45

o

Yep, Deedles and I got the same one. As much as I need a good broom, I couldn't stomach shelling out a lot of money for such an un-fun thing. I hate cleaning!

I think the one I got works great, now I just need a killer dustpan.

o

Such a great thread! I need to buy a new broom after my old broom has become grimy from the remodel dust etc.

Now I need to decide on the nessentials one vs the one deedles got from amazon. Decisions, decisions ;)

o

I just gotta chime in...I wasn't even looking for a broom but seeing the subject, well, I couldn't resist looking. Now, I want one. At least one, maybe two.

I have hardwood floors, no carpets and several cats. Including a couple with a lot of fluff. No matter how much I brush or "fur-min-ate", there's always puffs of fluff all over, and I always seem to have quite a bit of scattered litter. Or, I should say, there always seems to be quite a bit of scattered litter, as I don't do any of the scattering.

Were there any pictures of cats sweeping? Special brooms for cats? Maybe I can just order some children who come complete with brooms. No wonder I can't get anything accomplished; I must go look at the German brooms.

(And, in this high tech day and age, all this talk about brooms!)

This post was edited by gnancy on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 21:33

o

Kitten, if you find a killer dustpan, please post back!

o

I'm not Kitten but this looks like a killer dustpan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this a killer dustpan or what?

o

lolo, Glad you like your broom too. You got some neat other brooms also. How do you like the dusting broom? I thought about getting one but I wanted to make sure the other broom was worth the money first.

I have never used a broom that is so great at sweeping up with one swipe. I have to admit I hid it from my cleaning lady because I am afraid she won't remember to store it end up. I love using it for everyday quick sweeps.

Between my new broom and my neato I hope it will keep the dust bunnies at bay so Jeannie doesn't have so much sweeping to do!

o

holly-kay, I still can't figure out which one you got. Is there a model number, or a specific name?

o

holly-kay, I still can't figure out which one you got. Is there a model number, or a specific name?

o

Holly-Kay, is this it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Split Horsehair broom

o

holly-kay,
I was wondering if shipping cost an arm and a leg with the long handle? I read their shipping policy, but didn't get much of an idea how much a split horsehair broom and handle might cost, beyond the basic price and $5 handling charge. Might you give me an idea? I thought about getting the metal comb (for cleaning brushes, combs, hairbrushes, and brooms), too, and it's only $5.

o

It seems to be manufactured by A German company called "Reines Rosshaar".

Deedles, that means "pure horsehair". :) I think the company is either Keller or Redecker.

Love the selection of brushes - great link, thanks!

o

Ha Ha! Circus - that was funny :) I did not think to even try google translate.

Holly-Kay - DH does the dusting. He likes the duster. but it takes some getting used to as you are supposed to one use it in one direction pulling it towards you. So after a bit of starting trouble, it goes fast.

o

This is crazy. I haven't even started my remodel yet (and the kitchen will be a couple of months) and what am I looking forward to most? Getting a new broom - LOL!

o

How do I figure out which one is best for my use? (I have a lot of dark wood floors in an open-plan condo --- the living and dining area measures about 40 x 20, and the hall measures about 5' x 25'. That's a lot of dust!)

o

Ooh, that does look like a killer dustpan, gnancy! But I'd have to sweep a whole lot more than I do to justify the $25 price tag ;-)

Think the dustpan walnutcreek mentioned is more in my price range. It looks this is the same one, sold as a single, here at Amazon. Based on the reviews, sounds like it might be made a bit flimsier now--an all too familiar refrain in recent years about so many items.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubbermaid Dustpan

o

Hi Shockey, it wasn't bad. I think a bit over 70 dollars with the shipping. The handle is really long and comes unattached from the head. The one that you posted is indeed the one I bought. I still can't believe I bought a broom that was that expensive but after using it I would do it again. It sweeps like butter, so nice and smooth! Good luck with your new broom!!!

o

I can't believe I keep coming back to this thread. Between the sweeping German kids & Holly-Kay hiding her broom from her cleaning lady, it makes me laugh.
I need a good outside broom to sweep the patio. Any recommendations?

o

Now I need a new broom that I didn't need yesterday. Italian, German, horsehair, boarhair - wow - so many choices. Love this thread so please keep on giving your RL opinions.

Meanwhile, somewhat OT... do you "sweep" your floor, or do you "broom" your floor? I broom, how 'bout everyone else.

o

Romy - when I was looking at the nessentials site, it looked like they have something called a street broom and a garage broom.

And can you believe there is something called a grout brush!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Grout brush!

o

I bet those German grout brushes are really something, but grout brushes are actually easy to find. Now, if they made a kitty claw cleaning brush, well, that's something I could get behind. ; )

Here is a link that might be useful: for example

o

Lynn r---we broom the floor.

o

I don't know the difference between "broom" the floor versus "sweep" the floor. Multiple google searches with no answer. My final search was "what is brooming the floor?" I got multiple definitions that were sexually oriented so..
I have to ask.
GWlolo - will check out the street & garage broom, thanks.
We are bleeding cash with our ever expanding kitchen reno that was supposed to be done the end of May & will now hopefully end in October.
I haven't cooked since February. Is a new expensive broom on my "needs" list? It is now that I know Holly-kay's new broom sweeps like butter.

o

Broom the floor? Say what? In what (part of the) country is that term used?

o

I've never heard "broom the floor" either and am dying to know!

o

I've never heard that expression either -definitely "sweep the floor" in my neck of the woods (both east and west coasts at different times).

o

wow, only on gardenweb can you find the best of everything, including brooms!

i really want that hedgehog!

gwlolo, can you give me the link to the horsehair ceiling duster? do you like this brush? is it good for ceiling fans? i have so much dust accumulating on our fan blades so a light aluminum handle sounds ideal.

o

...Maybe it's a geographical thing, but around here broom is a noun, and sweep is a verb.

o

I'm also looking forward to hearing where "broom" is a verb.

Michoumonster, the nessentials website has tons of stuff I didn't know I needed but nothing cuter than the hedgehog.http://www.nessentials.com/more-brushes/table-sweeper/

Here is GWlolo's duster, http://www.nessentials.com/dusters/duster-horse-hair-120-cm/
but there are many others including some with a shape perfect for ceiling fan blades.

The even have a books duster - but no info on whether it would be good for a kindle or whether you should use their mini laptop brush for that.

And here is their link for "brushing up your knowledge"

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushing up your knowledge

o

Kksmama, very funny about the Kindle :-)

o

Before finding GW I led a boring life. Imagine a life without the basic necessities. I didn't even know I needed a horsehair broom. I didn't know I could broom the floor. I didn't know that there was an ABB club, and though I have yearned for nicer sheets I didn't know that there was a quest for crisp sheets under way. I had never heard of a Vitamix let alone yearned for one. You all have expanded my horizons and emptied my pockets but I am having a blast!

o

My Swiss German friends broom the floor.

o

I'm in CT and in all honesty don't know why I say "broom" the floor as opposed to "sweep" for it is exactly the same thing. Perhaps, when the kiddies were teens (now mid 20's) it was easier to say broom the floor than "go get the broom and sweep the floor", as if the concept of doing both was too difficult for them to comprehend - lol. But then again, I am of German heritage. Nevertheless, now I really want an expensive broom to broom, or sweep, or whatever, the floor! There are many I like, maybe I'll "broom" more often. Ha!

o

I have a great dustpan that clips onto the broom handle. This isn't the exact one I have but looks like a good one.

Here is a link that might be useful: clip-on dustpan

o

I feel so primitive with my vacuum cleaner.

Y'all crack me up. :)

o

Gosh! I did not mean to start another lust thread.. Remember the towel pig!

o

Hollie-kay - you cracked me up - one of those laugh out loud laughs, which if anyone heard it and I tried to explain it, they would not follow the humor at all. We are a different breed now aren't we.

My vacuum just burned out. I am going to search that one, because if I remember correctly, that was one of those 150 post ones. Brooms have so much more personality, and we have only just begun to learn. I am losing it!!!

o

Trust me, no lust coming from here. Bought a lovely WS broom years ago and it never leaves the closet. Miele vac eclipsed it long ago. Only our garage floor sees a broom.

o

OK, team broom-obsessors-like-me!

I posted above about my impressions (and return) of the Williams-Sonoma brooms.

Well, the Gondaletta broom arrived today - the crazy one that wraps up and around the sides of the broom so you can go under toe kicks and up to shoe and kick molding... and I LOVE it!

I whipped that baby around under all my cabinets in 3 minutes and grabbed up dust and stuff that the angled brushes had apparently missed. And, we have a 1917 colonial so EVERY wall has Acadia White kick and shoe molding that now I can sweep without scuffing up the paint.

Definitely a keeper!

Now, I still need a good dustpan for hardwood floors (everyone loves the metal but it's going to ding up our floors. My girls - who are 9 and 11 and actually DO sweep - or broom! - the kitchen, would scratch the floor on the first day. No doubt!)

Just thought I'd share!

P.S. I think this is the same one as was on Nessentials but feel like it was more than it is at WS on that website? You can also use online coupons for WS for discounts or free shipping. They don't sell it in the stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gondaletta Broom

o

akcorcoran-that looks good to me! Do you think the bristles scratch the HW finish? they say they're made from Hog Hair. Does it pick up dirt/hair when you push it well enough?

I like it especially for those toe kick crannies and the price is good.

o

akcorcoran, I was curious about dustpans after reading your post, so I looked on Amazon, searching "dustpan". In Home & Kitchen, limiting it to Amazon.com as seller and Free Super Saver Shipping, got 107 hits, with 62 dustpans. Thirty-three of those were rated at least four stars. Just looking on the first page, I can see some might be dustpan and brush sets, but maybe you can find a dustpan that will tickle your fancy. (Now, I want not only a horsehair broom AND a gondaletta, but a dustpan,too.)

o

Add me to the list who realized I need a new broom, I just ordered the Gondaletta....it's suppose to come on September 20th....I also realized thru this thread that I use my cordless electric broom as a dust pan, it doesn't do the best jobs on hardwood floors but it sure works great as a dust pan, and I don't have to bend (I do have back problems).

o

I have been ignoring this post for a while. I mean, really, a broom? But it has grown so long I figured there must be something going on here. And I find immigrant child labor, various un-PETA-like uses of animal hairs, and odd labor relations.

I am still famous in my house for not recognizing my own vacuum cleaner (I bought a shiny new thing, the next time I saw it was years later I suppose), not knowing where to put the trash out, or even where to find a broom (my kids, not German, do know). I used to have an excuse (career) but now it is just an aversion to doing my own cleaning. I'd sooner hock my French stove then give up my cleaning lady ...

But all that said, how can one not covet a real broom, that is almost pretty? Maybe I can get it from Santa.

o

SparklingWater, the bristles are not any harder than a standard indoor broom - but definitely a little firmer than the other one I got at WS that just flopped over.

(I hadn't noticed the hog hair reference - but hey, if I use it to keep my house from becoming a pig sty, I guess that's appropriate. Ha! Ba-dum-dum!)

It sweeps really well on the normal flooring and actually swept all the dust into the dustpan, better than my old broom did. I was surprised by that because the bristles seems a little farther apart, but instead of the usual sweep once into dustpan, adjust and reangle, sweep again into dustpan, adjust and change angle, sweep again, I only dust-panned once. (Now I'm making "dustpan" a verb. Oh boy.)

I am most happy though about how well it does under toe kicks and around our kick and shoe molding. Wow, what a difference. Far better than just an angled broom.

Now gnancy, thanks for the tip on dustpans. The one thing I like about the one that goes with our hand brush (just Libman, I think) it is has teeth on the dustpan to grab dust off the broom. Our three stories of hardwood floors (with city living, four girls and two dogs) collect a lot of dust, so that dustpan pulls it right off the broom. Bummer is the Gondaletta is a little big for that dustpan.

I should mention that I have a 16" utility cabinet and really appreciate that the Gondaletta can fit in it. Some of the other brooms got really big!

Still have the Harper one that was mentioned above coming from Amazon. And, I have a worse dilemma with a bluestone mudroom that I may seek help for - that needs like a circus push broom to clean it! :-)

o

mtnrdredux, I seriously consider myself to be a terrible housekeeper - I'm just not interested, and can always find something better to do than wipe down counters, mop floors and scrub bathtubs. But even I recognize that once in awhile, in between cleaning lady-days, I have to sweep the floor (thus i will buy myself a new broom, as soon as the remodeling in done and we move in) :-)

o

I think you are right --- a kitchen floor should probably be swept daily. Hmm, maybe i can add it to the kids chores list. Builds character and all that!

o

You know, the new kitchen just MAKES you want to keep it clean! Listen, I hate to clean and I'm not very good at it. Very inefficient and easily overwhelmed. So bad at it, in fact, that my OCD mother-in-law (who lives in our neighborhood) gave us the "Twelve Days of Cleaning" for Christmas and comes to do a top-to-bottom clean once a month b/c she doesn't think I do a good enough job. That used to bother me, but now I just agree - she cleans better!

BUT, there is nothing more satisfying now to me to be turning off the lights in the kitchen to a spanky clean room. Granite countertops all wiped down and shiny. Sinks empty and clean (all dishes in our much beloved Miele which will be running.) Floor swept so no grit from little people (or big messy husbands. It has definitely awakened something in me that didn't exist before!

Same applies to our new bathrooms - maybe it's a by-product of granite and marble?!

Now if the contractors would just FINISH so they don't bring all the dirt and mud and dust in our house, that would be helpful! :-)

P.S. Sweeping I don't mind and have given it as a "everyone pitches in" chore to my 9 and 11 yr old girls. Now, the one I hate that we really were smart to pawn off, is emptying the dishwasher! That is a chore for my older daughter if it's full and she's here. Ha - that was a stroke of genius, I think!

o

We do sweep kitchen floors daily.. With a galley kitchen, we have to. It does not take that long and I am thankful for the GW tip to install the vacpan near the eating area.. Mr.Horsey takes the dust bunnies and crumbs to the hungry monster who sucks it up!

We got the dustpan and the brush. The metal dustpan has a nice angle to the handle so it seems easier to hold it to sweep into it. The longer handle seems easier on the back. There a plastic edge on it so I could use it on hardwood floors without worrying about the dings and nicks. The hand brush is useful. I did the top shelves and around the door and window molding and was amazed at the amount of construction grit that still came out... This after we paid a arm and a most of the toes to a company that specializes in deep cleaning after construction. The company's name - Precision Cleaning.

o

The funny thing is, of all the chores one can choose, I never minded sweeping and vacuuming because the results are so "tangible". Even when I was a kid, I would vacuum the living room before my mom came home from work, without being asked (But I don't wash dishes, and I neither load nor unload the dishwasher :-) )

o

This is so funny because some of these posts sound like what I could have written--I'm not much of a housekeeper, I don't sweep very often, I get overwhelmed, etc. But, after getting in on this thread, I now want a fancy-schmancy split horsehair broom and a white porcelain enamel dustpan to go with it. Make it two dustpans! And, throw in one of them Gondoletta things, too.

You see, I'm about to have my kitchen remodeled, and as you mentioned, akcorcoran, I'm hoping that it will turn me around and make me want to be a better housekeeper and be better about keeping the floors (and everything else) cleaned up. Especially scattered cat litter.

Now, I want to mention this because akcorcoran mentioned using teeth on a dustpan to get stuff out of the broom. I called Nessentials a few days ago to ask some questions, and spoke to a very nice lady. One of the things that interested me was the comb and brush cleaner. Kind of a wire comb to get stuff out of your broom (and/or comb and/or brush). She said they were wonderful, so I'm adding that to my order. They're pretty cheap; only $5.

And, another dustpan I ran across--the Quirky® Broom Groomer Dustpan, FYI.

Here is a link that might be useful: the Quirky® Broom Groomer Dustpan

o

I'm making room in my new laundry closet or pantry for all these absolutely necessary cleaning supplies :-)

o

Speaking of Nessentials, you know I used to actually have one of these. Now I just buy pre-washed, pre-sliced mushrooms:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mushroom brush

o

How do I decide among the Room Broom Full Horsehair, the Room Broom Split Horsehair, and the Gondoletta -- and if I pick the Gondoletta, how do I decide between hog hair (Williams Sonoma) and horse hair (Nessentials)?

I have dark brown stained oak hardwood floors.

o

The way I decided on the Gondoletta was it was fifty bucks cheaper. But, if cost is no object...why not buy both? ; )

o

Anybody looking for an excuse to buy a new broom:
Broom Lore
A new house (change that to kitchen) needs a new broom.
If a wife sweeps a circle around her husband, it will keep him eternally true to her.
It is bad luck to loan your broom to anyone, even a friend.
This post is costing me money.
My broom list (lust) so far:
1. Split horsehair (mane & tail) that sweeps like butter
2. Gondaletta Hog Hair Broom for my toekicks & baseboards
3. Horsehair handbrush with dustpan
4. Comb & brush cleaner
Probably will have to throw in the adorable hedgehog. The white porcelain enamel dustpan also sounds interesting/pretty. Do I need a pretty dustpan?

o

Ha! Romy, you're post made me laugh out loud and when I said to my quizzical looking hubby, "It's my friends on GardenWeb posting more about fantastic brooms..." he said, "You are all insane." and left the room shaking his head! After which I yelled, "Yeah, but our kitchen floors will be darn clean!" Hee, Hee!

This post was edited by akcorcoran on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 18:20

o

romy718, I want to help. The first place I saw the white enamel dustpan, it had been on sale, but was sold out. So, I've been searching for it. I finally found it at The Brooklyn Kitchen on sale for $18; unfortunately, shipping is rather high--at least to my address, but considering the expensive dustpan is on sale, it all comes out in the wash. ( I couldn't help saying that.) This one has a rubber lip. I'm trying to decide if that's good or bad, but I've seen more than one reference to this dustpan that says it's dishwasher safe. I suppose because it's porcelain enamel. Also, the end of the title of this dustpan has "DBS". I might be dense but I have no idea what that means. Can someone enlighten me?

Here is a link that might be useful: White porcelain enamel dustpan

o

Thanks Gnancy. No clue about DBS, but if it wasn't for the darn rubber lip, (per the product description) you could bake, roast & cook with it. Anybody who thinks this subject doesn't belong on the Kitchen Forum has now been proven wrong.

o

Oh no! now I have this image of Thanksgiving and somebody running out of ovenware. There are people in the kitchen bustling about, last minute dishes being prepared, and somebody has finished making a pan of dressing. When the helper asks for another pan, the hostess says, "It's the white one in there," directing them to the broom closet, Innocently, they open the door, assuming it's the pantry...Hilarity ensues.

o

A curry comb (for grooming horses) could also work for cleaning horse hair brooms. Seriously. Used these at a camp I worked at 30 years ago. They might be cheaper than one from a 'speciality' house.

Did anyone order from The Laundress? It is 40 bucks less than the German one.

o

An enamel dustpan!! Another thing I didn't know that I needed that I do need.

This thread is costing me money, too!

Restoration Hardware has a black version without the rubber lip but it's 30.00 right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: reiss dustpan

o

Here is mine. This is a very well known broom here in Iceland. Every home here has atleast one. This one I have had for about five years. The company that makes them from some artificial hair is a company run and owned by the blind here.I have had a broom made from horse hair . Those of you that buy a horse hair broom need to know that it takes a vile for you to break it in. The hair softens a little with time.

This post was edited by ice1 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 5:10

o

OMG. I've turned into a broom & cleaning tool connoisseur!

Today I made a special trip to Bed, Bath & Beyond to look at their department, and some of the OXO dustpans. They have quite a selection of Casabella products, so I rushed home to check the website to make sure I saw everything. While these aren't the top notch brooms, etc., that have been mentioned, many look really interesting and useful. And, not so expensive. Some are very colorful, too.

When I got home and checked my email, there was one from WS saying my Gondoletta had shipped, and on the side of the email there was a column headed, "Customers who bought this also bought:" and some items were shown. Now, I want one of those items, too, a Lambswool Floor Duster.

If things don't work out, I'll have a good set of tools to start my own cleaning service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lambswool Floor Duster

o

another broom, anyone?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pencil with a miniature broom head eraser

o

Holy cow, I just read my emails and was LOL with all the new comments on our wonderful brooms. You all know we are slightly bonkers don't you?

Who would have thought that the search for the perfect broom could possibly drum up this much interest.

LoLo I just have to get the neat dust pan, but then again a white enamel one or a turkey pan blue enamel dust pan could be quite the statement and the company that makes it was started in the 1500's? Now that IS amazing. I now covet the Gondeletta also and I don't even clean. I also now feel justified in hiding my broom from the cleaning lady as I discovered that lending your broom to anyone brings bad luck.

Mtn. I agree. I have such an aversion to cleaning that I keep my business going just to keep my cleaning lady. Of course, when I just can't do it anymore I am keeping her. I would rather give up DH than my CL!

o

Whenever I feel bad about how much my cleaning lady costs, I figure out how many hours I work to pay for her. It is always worth it! And I would work just to pay not to have to clean my house.
I worked part time off and on when my kids were little. Also had a small B & B operation. I always thought of as paying for my babysitting money so i could take a class and not go nuts from boredom. Loved my babies, but the conversation was soooo limited!

o

thanks everyone, i just ordered my cobweb/ceilng fan broom from nessentials. i am excited to get it as there is a thick visible layer of dust on my ceiling fans from all the construction..
as an aside, if anyone wants to try a budget friendly horsehair broom, i found a cheap horsehair broom on amazon for only $20 bucks. it seems to work fine, the head is small though. DH also told me OSH sells a horsehair broom that was only $25 that is larger than the one I got.

o

One thing I learned was that horse hair broom can vary based on if it is tail hair or mane hair or split hair. The split hair will pick up the finest dust but will break down a couple years sooner than the regular horse hair broom. The mane hair is softer than the tail hair but both need some breaking down to become more effective. Cost wise, split hair is most expensive followed by mane and then tail.

o

I don't sweep enough for a broom to break down, so I'll go with the split horsehair :-)

o

I, too, had seen this thread stick around for much longer than seemed possible but always ignored it. But when I just saw it again and noticed that it was up over 100 posts or so, I figured that something fun was going on in here. I never in a million years would have guessed that the "fun" truly was about brooms!!! I figured the topic had taken a turn for the tangential and there was other fun going on. You all have cracked me up!

My only question is does Nessentials stand for N(on)essentials or N(ew)essentials?

My family is going to wonder why Santa is bringing me a broom. The kids will probably think I was on the naughty list. But since we move into our new house in January, I guess Santa will understand why I need it!

o

So I'm saving a few bucks by going to pick up a case of flooring I need in Sarasota rather than having it shipped here. And guess where Nessentials is located? Yup. Am I really going to spend my savings on brooms? Or will I also be stopping at the factory outlets, including Lindt Chocolate? I think we all know.

o

If a group of gardenwebbers want to go in on a bulk purchase there's St. Nick's (check floor sweeps). I swear I wasn't looking for this. I was getting rid of some bookmarks as my kitchen slowly gets closer to completion and one of the bookmarks was to a cabinet outfit that sells these.
I'll admit I didn't notice it when I first bookmarked it, but now of course it jumped out.

Here is a link that might be useful: St. Nicks

o

Wow, this thread keeps going! Just to weigh in, I love my Harper broom from Amazon. Best 15 bucks I've spent in a long time.

I do covet the enamel dustpan, too. Haven't pulled the trigger on one of those, yet.

o

kksmama- my guess is brooms.
Deedles - thanks for the link to the Riess dustpan, adding it to the list.

o

Kksmama - you could come back & give us a Nessentials trip report! Full horse hair, split horsehair? Which dustpan brush?
If you go, could you check out the street & garage brooms? I need a good broom for my garage & patio.

o

Costco used to sell the Harper...no longer, googled them, and out of business :( loved those brooms... soft and durable

o

Wow ! Who knew brooms were such a hot topic!?!? Only on GW!

I was saving up for a Romba since my new wood floors show Corgi hair daily; now I have to save up for German engineering in the broom department!

Perhaps the clever Germans have engineered a broom that doggies can push?

o

Great minds think alike--I've been wondering if one was made for kitties.

This post was edited by gnancy on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 9:17

o

I did skim through all the posts, but would appreciate if someone could confirm which broom and source was deemed "the winner" for daily sweeping in a typical home w/ wood floors. And did I understand correctly that you order the broom head & the handle separately? I am ready & willing to spring for a tool that is best for a job I do at least once every day! Thanks!

o

Thought I would weigh in on the German brooms!
In Germany most people live in apartment buildings. With lots of stairs and terrazo floors. Germans are a tidy bunch, so, each week one apartment is assigned the job of Kehrwoche, or cleaning the hallways and entrance ways and steps. (in southern Germany anyway) They even have adorable little wooden signs that hang on your doorknob so you know when it is your turn!

All that brooming and mopping requires good German-made supplies. All the better if they come in small sizes so your kids can help!

I now regret not bringing a broom back with me, but I have used this Vileda duster for the past 15 years! It is going strong! Swivels and lays flat so it gets under furniture. I love this thing! The head goes into the washing machine and it also comes with a thin mopping head.

o

Found it. Placed my order. People at Nessentials must be scratching their heads wondering about the flurry of new broom customers.

o

People at Nessentials must be scratching their heads wondering about the flurry of new broom customers

I was thinking the same thing! Which one did you get?

o

BTW, I'm getting my own for me, but I'm also going to get one for my son and DIL as a house gift! (new condo (to them), with hardwood floors). Boy, will they be surprised to get a broom!

o

I had *every* intention of getting a broom and duster, conducting field research, and chatting up the Nessentials folks on behalf of GW. Got a great parking spot right in front of the store. And saw this:

photo nessentials_zpsc35b67ae.jpg
So while we might be impressed by German cleanliness and engineering, what I really wanna copy is their work week!

o

I just wanted to report my Gondoletta arrived today and I've already given it a whirl. It really got ahold of all the cat hair puffs! (A couple of the cats were really interested--followed it around, but one seemed scared of it.) I'm ready for the big leagues now--the split horsehair one from Nessentials...and a few incidentals. Already had my order prepared.

o

sjhockeyfan, I ordered the split horsehair version, the varnished handle and the wire brush cleaner. Total w/ shipping was $72. I wanted the dustpan & brush combo, but resisted - for now. Expensive broom, but the cost-per-use makes it a reasonable purchase for me, if it works well. I dread sweeping w/ my current (lousy) broom and it's a pain to drag out the vac for those little clean-ups. I can't wait for delivery!

o

What's the wire brush clearer - is that for cleaning the broom itself?

o

Looks like I will be looking into these brooms! I posted on the other broom post about making my own broom using my own source of horse hair. Ten horses in the field. Could be a pretty nice broom! LOL

Karen

o

LOL! DH thinks I have awakened the OCD monster by starting this thread :)

o

LoLo, you sure have started a fire storm. It amazes me that I had never known about horse hair for a broom. It really is a great product! BTW, Nessentials should be paying you commission for starting this thread!

o

Ok, you guys have me interested now.

I have hardwood floors and I also have an overabundance of black lab hair, cat hair, and dust. Which broom is best for me???

o

Another one late to the party. I thought - seriously how interesting can it be to talk about brooms - turns out not only interesting but fun also.

I bought a new broom when my kitchen was finished and with cats and hardwood floors a good broom was essential.My broom is a cheap one from Canadian Tire with nylon (I assume) bristles but they have the split-ends and they are the best thing for picking up cat hairs.

I need a new one and the split-hair one from Nessentials is a definite contender. I hate vacuuming but have always loved to sweep. I like seeing all the little bits of dirt and fur which is something you don't see when vacuuming.

o

Gnancy my Gondaletta came yesterday too, It is a hair and dust magnet! Just wondering if your ordering more floor brooms from Nessentials,,,,,I was thinking my Gondaletta was all I needed for floors....used on my ceiling fans too and great for central air grate in my hallway, so much easier than vacume....and better!!!!

o

ilene-84, I know--I already used it again today. It seems like a dust mop only better! In answer to your question, yes, it seems I've got the fever, and now I think, no, I NEED the split horsehair broom and wire comb from Nessentials. I was about to place my order when I saw your post. And, I'm not one to buy on impulse. I'm not sure if I'm glad or sorry I saw this thread. (I would never spend that much on a handbag, which I think is funny in itself.)

o

Gnancy I think I have the fever too....was thinking of getting either the horse hair or harper broom from amazon, but I do need that wire comb.....it's all so confusing, and to think last week I thought my old broom, vacume, and Bona cleaned my floors well.

o

GNancy, LoLO, and Ilene, Do you think the Gondaletta would do a good job of cleaning my crystal chandy, or would it be too big?

o

Khallock, I have two dogs and a sweet kitty. The split horsehair brrom from Nessentials is awesome. I will be ordering the Gondaletta and probably a dust pan. I never particularly cared for sweeping or brooming the floor but that darn new hh broom actually makes it fun. Sweeps like buttah!

o

So why would one need both the Gondoletta and the split horsehair broom? Wouldn't the Gondoletta serve all purposes?

o

kksmama - thanks so much for the field research effort. I hope the Nessentials detour didn't keep you from getting some Lindt chocolate.
I, too, enjoy sweeping but pretty much only sweep outside. I don't even own an "inside" broom and now I can hardly wait to get all this stuff & start sweeping my new floors (currently covered with cardboard).

o

Holly-Kay I would be afraid of using Gondaletta on my crystall chandelier.....but what about using a hedgehog ( meant for tabletops) ?? I know my old feather duster didnt work well.

sjhockeyfan's I plan on using it more before I decide if another broom is needed, problem may be I'm not use to its shape...verdict is still out.

Now a question that for sure doesn't belong in kitchens, but does in brooms....does anyone have a broom good for weekly dusting of upholstered furniture (couches and chairs), I'm always looking for an easier way of doing what I don't enjoy...cleaning!!

o

It was total fail from a shopping standpoint, Romy. No time for chocolate! I took the kids with me (hoping to get them sweeping lessons), hit up Trader Joe's for lunch (not enough prepared food choices for children), and then spent the rest of the day at the fabulous Ringling estate. So it was a culturally enriching day, and I have many reasons to go back to Sarasota soon. Getting a broom might not be #1, but it is on there!

o

Holly-Kay --> They have a goats hair duster for delicate sufaces like the chandy.. But I think any of the dusters should work. I may dust the chandy first and then the other places

o

They have a bunch of the Redecker brushes at Crate & Barrel (including the oh-so-cute hedgehog). I just bought the duster below -- it's goat's hair, and is so soft I couldn't stop stroking it in the store! I got it for dusting LEGOs. I would totally use this on my crystal chandelier. Plus it's $10 cheaper at C&B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round goat's hair duster

o

OK, after three days of DEEP cleaning - read: my Mother was coming to visit - the Gondaletta broom has gotten a serious workout in our house.

Here's my report.

The Gondaletta was awesome in sweeping under toekicks and around the sideboard - really did a nice job and made that easy peasy. No dust bunnies remained. We started calling it the "magic broom" b/c it was handy in so many places.

I don't have a horsehair broom to compare in terms of getting the dust out of the cracks of the hardwood floors? I used it for regular sweeping but don't necessarily know if it got everything from the cracks of the hardwood floor. It did really get everything down to a very fine dust.

It is a little unweildy to then try to use it to get stuff in the dustpan. So, I went to using a hand brush to then sweep it into the dustpan. The swoopy sides of the Gonda started hitting the dustpan and wouldn't give me a tight push in there.

I did find that it was a tiny bit tougher to get really tight to a corner - versus a sharp angle broom. The bristles get all around there, but it takes a few tries to be sure you've really hit the deepest angle of the corner (b/c the side bristles sort of hit first.) I have the Harper too and that doesn't have an angle either so it couldn't help.

Does the horsehair one you all ordered from Nessentials have an angle, can't remember? That would be a nice partner to the Gondaletta.

The only drawback I've found is that it sort of keeps a layer of fine dust in and around the broom body. It has sort of a spread out bristle pattern. After a while, it would release the dust as I was sweeping dust, so sort of defeated the purpose.

I had to go outside and give it a whack or two to get that all out. That's fine if I was in the kitchen, but when using on the top floor of our three-story colonial, it was a little irksome. I sort of put a plastic bag around it and gave it a few knocks to clear the dust. Not sure I could avoid it but just thought I'd share with the other BSIs (Broom Scene Investigators.)

One unexpected bonus - because of the shape, you can actually also turn it into a push broom. I found myself in a few spots where that really came in handy - and it gave me a little more leverage to sweep with gusto!

I have a dustpan with teeth on it (just Libman) but I think I need the wire broom cleaning brush for the Gonda b/c it's structure makes it so that it can keep the dustbunnies up in there.

I had all the rugs cleaned in my home in a post-reno push, then the upholstery cleaned, so it basically required me to move all the furniture in all the major rooms. Lots of dust and sweeping.I used the Gondaletta, the Harper and then a Libman hand brush and feel like we accomplished a lot. Some of the construction dust in hardwood cracks just takes old fashioned water and scrubbing - that's a sad fact, but hopefully, sweeping will help maintain my current (and surely temporary) pristine environment! :-)

And, I still want a hedgehog. :)

P.S. Gazooks! I just looked and realized our broom discussion has 139 posts! Hee, Hee!

This post was edited by akcorcoran on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 18:26

o

Can I throw another hat, er, broom into the ring? I ran across this under "Dusters" on Nessentials today and was intrigued. It's called a cabinet broom, but I don't see any other details. There's something about the shape that makes me want to laugh. It reminds me of something, but I can't think of what. Anyone care to comment? (Please do)

o

It reminds me of something, but I can't think of what.

A "wheel-o"? (depends how old you are whether you'll know what that is, but here's a picture).

o

It reminds me of something, but I can't think of what.

A "wheel-o"? (depends how old you are whether you'll know what that is, but here's a picture).

o

P.S. 2 While perusing Nessentials and all the brooms that I strangely want now, I saw this Cabinet brush. How in the earth do you think you use that? Is that for inside, outside, up top???

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Broom

o

Oh my gosh, gnancy - that is SO funny - look what I just posted! I meant to post it right after my other one but have forgotten to hit "Submit message."

This is scary - maybe brooms are parasitic to the brain?!

By the way, I was talking with my mom who has now arrived and showing off my Gondaletta broom and said, "I was on this forum... Did you know that Germany.?" and she said without a beat, "is the cleaning capital of the world?!!! YES!" Apparently, it's ingrained in their culture! She said she could have served a formal dinner off the floor of her German father's closet - he was that focused on keeping it clean!

:-)

o

I don't know about parasitic, akcorcoran, but I think it's addicting. I keep checking for the next post.

I can't figure out that Cabinet broom either. Maybe it comes with instructions? Or, maybe it isn't really used for anything and they just threw it in there to confound us.

o

My daughter is 8 turning 9 has been watching our broom experiments at home. She poked around the nessentials site that was open on the ipad and has asked daddy for her very own child broom for birthday so that she can do some chores. I didn't know whether to laugh with glee or be appalled. DH promised her 50 cents for every time she sweeps the front entry and courtyard.

o

Why pay? Tell her she can have a "cleaning internship"!

o

Ahhh that goat hair duster looks to be just the ticket for cleaning my chandy.

o

My split horsehair broom arrived! I ordered a couple of other little items, including the one shown. I don't know what I was expecting it to be, but one thing I was expecting was tiny. Can't wait to use it, though. (I hope it doesn't get lost, will have to figure out something.)

o

That is SO cute! What is it used for? The cuteness factor is nearly enough without being useful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here