Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
front_gw

Support for peninsular overhang

front
9 years ago

What type of support is required for a peninsula overhang?I went with a 15" overhang. The guy that did the template said anything over 10" needs some type of support (hidden plates or corbels). I went with the hidden plates.

The installers came out today and didn't have the plates/cleats for the overhang. They said they are on back order. They then proceeded to tell me that I really don't need any support, since most of the countertop is on the cabinet. The supports are only required for bar top. I have a feeling they are just trying to rush the job, so they do not have to come back to install the peninsula on another day. I would rather be safe than sorry. They say it won't tip due to the weight, but I'm worried about it cracking from someone sitting on it or pushing off of it when they stand.

What are your thoughts?

Comments (3)

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

If it is stone you are playing Russian roulette with a 15" unsupported overhang. Stone has natural fissures and weak spots that can give way when someone leans on it or even at times, under it's own weight. It needs support!!

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

From a site called Fabricators Unlimited:

Overhangs for 2cm Granite that exceed 6 inches will require additional support structures

For an overhang more than 6" use a proper support system such as solid substrates, legs, brackets, corbels, or columns.
    Overhangs for 3 cm Granite that exceed 10 inches will require additional support structures:

For an overhang more than 10" use a proper support system such as solid substrates, legs, brackets, corbels, or columns.

From the Marble Institute of America (the go-to reference for granite installations):

In designs where the countertop is cantilevered or overhanging the supports, the cantilever shall be limited to 6" (150 mm) for 3âÂÂ4" (20 mm) thick countertops and 10â (250 mm) for 11âÂÂ4" (30 mm) countertops, but in no case may the cantilevered portion represent more than 1/3 of the width of the countertop.

That one says the same as the first quote, just in more complicated language. Don't let these guys install without supports! If the overhang broke for lack of supports someone could be seriously injured.

• front
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks

I forgot to mention that it is 3cm granite.