Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
backsplash thicker than window sill

Posted by abbey_cny (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 10:01

I just learned something about my full granite backsplash due to go in next week, and I wondered if anyone else had run into the same problem. The gentleman was just here from the tile store taking the measurements, and he tells me that the back splash is going to be a bit thicker than my window sill. My window sill is slate. The sill must be narrower than normal? since any pictures I have seen of full granite backsplashes the granite always appears to be either just as wide as the sill or a bit less. Is the granite being a bit wider going to look strange? Hopefully I am worrying about nothing but was curious if anyone else ran across this problem.
Thanks!

Abbey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: backsplash thicker than window sill

I'm finishing a project Monday where a customer has waited for special order 2CM product for this application. I don't think 3CM should be used on the wall, which is what I assume what you have? 3CM = 1 3/16" 2CM = 3/4" approx.

o

I have 3 cm on the wall. My sill does extend a little past the backsplash, but the trim around the window didn't. I panicked, but my fabricator just beveled the edge of the BS that abutted the trim so that it came down to the right level. It looks just fine - you wouldn't even notice it. I would think they could bevel under the sill, as well.

o

thanks for the info. Yes it is 3CM. The fabricator didn't seem to think it would be a problem, I will talk to them again about this.

Abbey

o

I am not sure if this is helpful at all - but we definitely had some issues with the slab BS, sills, chunky window trim, and clearance for faucets. We ended up having the trim die into the BS with no lower trim and a different type of sill. I was worried about how it would look but ended being pretty sleek and is definitely east to clean.

window trim with faucets

o

I appreciate the info. My window set up is a bit unusual I think. Originally all the windows were metal casements (from 1950). Not practical in central NY! So I had them replaced with vinyl windows, but because they were originally metal there was no trim around them. The replacement windows were set into the opening, and quarter round was put in to finish it off a bit, but that is it. No trim on the sides or bottom. The sill is slate and I won't be changing that, so I am a bit worried how it is all going to work out, but I am trying to have faith in my fabricators. So far everything I have panicked about in this remodel has turned out just fine so I am hoping this will too.

Abbey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here