Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

there are NO n*o*n*es.....

User
12 years ago

I was reading plllog's thread on the lighting fixtures. It is so weird as several of the discussions are missing n*o*n*e. I think this was pointed out recently. It still isn't fixed. So you need to reword your responses :) c

Comments (30)

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

Maybe GW has decided that we could use a little positive slant these days? Too much carping about the economy; too much political backbiting; too many complaints that people were asking the same questions without using search; heck, too many complaints that GW's search feature sucks.

So maybe be Royal Order of the TPTB, no further negativity will be published. None of that! Er, that is n*o*n*e*
    of that, forever more!

No. Never. Nyet. Nunca. Nada. Nein. N-n-n-n-n-o-n-e of that, forever more.

There, I feel better already! Good, if still slightly soggy, morning to you all from upstate NY.

L

PS: the N***-word appears to appear in my preview message. Any IT people care to comment whether there's some programming thing afoot maybe n+one does somehting wonky?

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I have noticed it for several days. At first, I thought I was careless but came to notice a few examples where they were missing from others' posts and a test try of my own. Maybe GW was hacked. I wonder if there are any other verboten words....of the non-curse variety, that is....

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

I've made note of the problem in in several of my posts for the past couple of weeks, but perhaps your thread will bring it to the forefront for IT. The word has been deleted since at least 8/16. If it's capitalized it appears. Lowercase None "none" gets zapped.

I had planned to start a thread about it this week. Any idea which forum might attract the GW IT dept attention most? If anyone decides to post another thread elsewhere to get this problem fixed, maybe call out to IT directly in the title as they may overlook this post as they've overlooked my previous mentions.

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

I gotta try this. none there, did it show up? Do they chunk out the single word or delete the whole post?

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

Well, that answers that. They hack it out. Interesting. In my post above it was between this and there, just after the period. I guess they're having none of it.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I very much suspect it's some slightly-less-than-competent IT person in charge of tweaking the software, and under the category of "banned words to be automatically deleted", they actually entered the word "none" rather than leaving it empty. :-)

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Yep, they surely entered the word None, using lower case. !

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Quick....someone come up with a poem or passage in which if the word n-o-n-e was present it wouldn't be funny, but the absence of said word makes it LOL. I'm too tired to do it.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haha....you guys are none other than funny!!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

it was right before "other". Had a post back when I was doing my bike ride. I used the name of a popular beer...Fat Bas**rd. I couldn't get it to post till I took out the B word. I think Liriodendron is on to something. I think they got super observant during " THE " discussion of a certain Blog and they want us to me more positive now. So here goes...I positively can't use the lower case of NONE !! :)

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Really, does it seem likely that a VIP, in this case someone in charge of what appears in posts, is engaging in social engineering, i.e. "be nice, children," and chose the word None to focus on? Seems pretty unlikely to me. Actually, I'd put the likelihood of that right up there with little green men landing in front of the White House today.

On the other hand, I'm really curious to know what *would* cause this. Hope someone tells us eventually.

P.S. I haven't noticed folks being unpleasant recently. Generally this site is full of really helpful people who go out of their way to be nice. There is always the odd post by someone who's having a cranky day or whatever, but that's hardly the norm. I do admit to having gone off at that cabinet retailer who was always advertising here a while back, but that was a one-off. Really.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

We've been playing with it a bit at The Test Forum since last Saturday...and it has been reported to GW.

by playing with some code, none 'can' be made to appear in the middle. I got the code from the page source of the page linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: of the above

• Buehl
    12 years ago

I hadn't noticed...hmmmm. I hope I haven't used None in any posts lately...eliminating it just might change the meaning of what I've said!

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Bottom line...if you want to use the word "NONE" in a sentence, you need to capitalize at least one letter!

NONE
    None
    nOne
    noNe
    nonE
    none

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

suzanne: you missed the " blog" topic. It has been removed as has the one before it. It was cantankerous and off off off topic...you are better off to have missed it :) Now back to the conspiracy theory..I think they are after us all. c

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Well, that's just silly. Why on earth would that word be a problem? I can see why Bas**rd would be deleted but None?

trailrunner, haven't tried that beer but friends of ours gave my hubby a beer called Raging B***h. Makes ya wonder how much the brewers had drunk - or what kind of day they had had - when they named their beers.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lisa...have DH try Naked Pig...let's see if THAT gets through LOL. Haven't seen Raging....will keep an eye out. c

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Goofy. WIth all the problems we've had off and on with the forum software, and with all the things it DOESN'T do, it gets rid of words like n0ne? So weird.

But now I understand the sentence in Pal's response to Plllog's post in which he tried to say he didn't really like any of the lamps. I knew what he meant, but couldn't figure out why a whole word was missing.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Try typing nonononenene. (That is n o n o n e n e, without the spaces.) GW removes the central "nononene," and then leaves the surrounding one behind!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OH this is SO much more fun than the " critique" and " political statements" of some of the other erstwhile threads :) I was trying to discern the meaning of pal's statement too when I saw the problem.

N&O&N&E shall be stopped ! We shall persevere...N%O%N%E shall be stopped. c

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

nononene of my "nononenes" have disappeared. Does this make me a no-account? A nobody?

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

nonesense I say.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

haha Angie...you are immune ! We shall send our posts to you and you do the honors. c

• ae2ga
    12 years ago

what if i wanted to say that none of the appliances i ordered arrived on time, and none of the workers are available on the new day, and i can't have a kitchen in which none of the appliances are there.

• ae2ga
    12 years ago

that makes no sense NONE at all

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

miraculously they are all back this morning. I checked this post and badabing... there they were. I think it was the KGB. :)

Now maybe they will cut another innocuous word like maybe.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my goodnesssss... I think it was the GWB ..LOL....whatever their is no stopping us now....we know how to get to " them"....none can stop us. c

• natal
    12 years ago

GWB ... not touching that one.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

I can't believe the "none's" are back. This is strange. And, of course, now none of our posts make any sense! (Or, in my case, is that nononene of them? ;-)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

natal ?? I meant Garden Web Boys ....I guess it could be my fave bridge in The City...the George Washington Bridge...what did you think I meant ?

Angie you are a HOOT !! nononene....I love it. c