Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Anyone ever cover their marble with saran wrap for a party?

Posted by beekeeperswife (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 9:54

As you may recall, my Super White is etching like nobody's business. And it seems to happen when we have company because I can't be everywhere at all times. So, this brings me to an idea...

When we have our Open House/House Warming party, I'm considering covering the counters with a very tight fitting saran wrap. Probably use the wide roll from Costco, fit it tightly and you won't really notice it. I thought it might not be that different than when you throw a table cloth on a wood table to protect it. I don't want to throw a table cloth on my island, because people will want to look at the stone anyway.

So, has anyone ever done this? What do you think?

(We had company this past weekend. Only 2 adults, and even with my coaster distributing skills, there are a lot of new etch marks--I think the slamming down of the pickle jar by one of the guests on it must have caused some splashes that I missed).

*sigh*

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone ever cover their marble with saran wrap for a party?

What do I think? Oh dear, I'm sorry, but I think this is one of those you've gone 'round the bend moments. People will think you are nuts if you cover your counter with saran wrap and indeed they might have a point! I understand how you are feeling. You have just put in these lovely, lovely counters and now they are getting ruined. I think you should 1) investigate a different sealer (I know, sealers are for stains, not etching, but I would go through the threads here and try a new one out and 2) investigate how (if) the surface can eventually be rehoned or resurfaced and then go to town and fix it later.

No matter what you decide, lots of deep breaths help -- I promise! Best of luck, Lilly

o

No, but I'm sure it will be fine if you do. It will probably coordinate with the plastic covers on the upholstered furniture and lampshades. And if you can get those little elastic bootie things custom made in clear plastic wrap, then you'll have a theme going. Your guests will feel that they are a proactive part of the solution rather than the problem.

If I were a different sort of person, I would have hit submit right there, but I can't do that, even though those were the very first thoughts that came to mind. I don't want to sound as if I'm chiding you, although I am. Gently. I don't want to hurt your feelings, but if you're going to enjoy your kitchen, your guests, your life, you need to accept the etches. Buff, reseal, do whatever you can to to repair them, but finally accept that it's going to happen. I have marble--I know what I'm talkin' about.

o

I'm so sorry you're having these issues in your 2nd beautiful kitchen bee. I know how much thought you put into it and pride you found in the outcome. That said; I could not live having to do that. I'd prob re-hone and reseal if it got that bad. Or... just accept the etching as a part of life. And if my personality just would not allow me to accept it; I'd eventually chalk it up to a very expensive lesson learned and replace the counters with something else.

o

I'm so disappointed for you. I would be pretty upset if I were in your shoes. (And it scares me that I'm getting marble in the baths if you are having this much trouble with the Super White. I will have exceedingly hard water but am putting in a soft water system so fingers crossed.)

If you like to entertain it seems like this may be the time to just bite the bullet and realize it is going to etch. You don't want to have to worry all the time about your counters getting etched. I would think others will sense your dis-ease over them getting anything on the counter. I have to admit I would never put anything down on a wood surface but wouldn't think twice about setting a glass down on marble or quartz or any countertop in a kitchen. Maybe you need to do the "smash tomatoes on it and rub them all over" method to just etch it up and have that behind you. Can you have it resurfaced or rehoned as lilly suggests?

As for your idea - I'd be afraid it would make things either slick or sticky and the wrap would pull... causing people to wonder what on earth you've done and/or spill things and possibly make matters worse! As hard as this advice would be for me to follow - I say sit back, relax, enjoy your party and your friends, and let the patina begin. =(

o

Here's a crazy idea... there was a thread about window film the other day (yesterday?). Could you put a clear window film on it as a semi-permanent fix? I wonder if that could work. Just a thought... :)

o

Hi Bee-
Sorry you're having issues with a stone you thought would get you out of the issues that marble has. It must be so frustrating.

I agree with lillyvt, mamagoose, and remodelfla. I don't think you're crazy b/c I could see myself posting the exact same question.... but I think you should enjoy the counters as much as possible. They can't look nearly as beautiful with Saran Wrap on them and everyone will LOVE them and not even notice the etches I'm sure!

People love rubbing their hands over stone and the feel of Saran Wrap won't be nearly as decadent.

o

so, you aren't loving this idea?

Ok. No food or beverages at the party.

kidding

I will make sure though that I do serve the food and drinks elsewhere to help keep the guests from lingering around the island.

I wish it was just the sealer, but I don't think it is. Although, you never know. I wonder if the bullet-proof-15 year-sealer from Daltile/Dupont/Microban would be better. If it could just delay the stuff from getting to the stone so quickly, I'd be happy. I will do some checking.

But, I will tell you,when I was making gyros and had to roll the meat up in saran wrap and I had a big piece on the counter, it did NOT look bad! And, if I DO cover the furniture in plastic, then maybe nobody will notice...excellent idea.

o

My DH thinks you should etch the whole thing and have an even etch. But, you should talk to a stone person first.

o

Bee--I too am sorry that you are having these issues, as I too remember how excited you were for these countertops. I don't see anything wrong with covering it in saran wrap until you've found a permanent solution. You can explain it to your guests or not, that is up to you.

o

sorry to hear you are having this issue. don't think saran wrap is an acceptable option but have another idea. for entertaining you could put out a custom butcher block on the island that allows you to put out food yet you could still see a bit of the stone. see link below, you could cut to any size you wish and lay it on top for events such as these. i butcher block running the lengh with food displayed on it could be good.

i bought a large custom butcher block for my marble counters, i love it! pic below.

Photobucket

lumber liquidators butcher block, you could cut boards to length as desired
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/lft-Maple-Butcher-Block-Countertop-Williamsburg-Butcher-Block-Co.-MABB12/10012578

o

"And, if I DO cover the furniture in plastic, then maybe nobody will notice...excellent idea."

I love how you can roll with the comments!

o

Sorry about your issues with your counters! I took a hiatus from gardenweb when I was having countertop troubles of my own so must have missed your grand reveal! Any links that you can provide so I can take a peek?

I have a feeling that no matter how much you carefully place the food, people will gravitate to the island. For some reason, that is just the way it is. I sense that you are a gracious hostess and want your guests to enjoy themselves and not see the stress that you are fighting to hold back every time somebody sets their wine glass down. I like the idea of the custom butcher block, but still worry that people will go around it to set directly on the counter unless you order one so large as to cover the entire thing.

o

What about a runner down the middle of the island that has the same colours as your area rug. You could put the appetizers or drinks on that. It might help to contain some of the problems. But saran wrap - no. What would happen if it latched on to someone's dress and they walked off with it attached to them - that would be ....

"my Super White is etching like nobody's business" And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I don't have marble. I know myself and I don't have the personality for it.

o

You can do what you want, but dearheart, this etching is gonna happen and you knew it.

Mamagoose took the words right out of my fingers. I also think the booties are better than the carpet plastic wrap.

There are few things more uncomfortable than being a guest and having the host running around right behind you wiping everything, lifting up glasses to say, "I'll just slide this coaster under here. Don't mind me" picking up not-finished dishes, etc. I can't imagine being afraid to put my elbow down to lean and chat!

You're having a house warming. Can you let them warm it up and just see what life is going to throw you and your marble, anyway?

I think you're probably too considerate a hostess to wrap your home in plastic.

o

"...booties are better than the carpet plastic wrap."

CEF you misunderstood...the booties were for when everyone starts dancing on the tables. Beekeeperswife, you did say you were having a party. ;)

o

I would think a sheet of plexiglass would be a better choice--kind of like a clear cutting board.

Saran wrap...I think crazy lady. Cutting board---utility.

o

Perhaps it is too soon for a party? Maybe you need to wait a bit. You have to be ready...

My DH isn't ready to cook Chinese food on the new cooktop because of the splatters even though that is a lot of why he wanted that cooktop.

o

We had friends who saran wrapped pretty much their whole kitchen for a party. Well, it was a Cinco de Mayo BYOB (Bring Your Own Blender) Margarita party in a rented apartment so they were trying to save their deposit. IIRC it worked well though after a number of hours of consumption, the also-wrapped floor got rather slippery from blender mishaps.

So, maybe have a margarita/blender theme to your Open House, which maybe saran wrapping would um, "blend" in?

Such a bummer about the etching on your quartzite!

cheers

o

i feel for you because i likely will be in this same position in a few months and it seems we have a similar personality. :(

i saw an episode of "Selling New York" where Emeril Lagasse's NYC penthouse apartment was featured as a property for sale. He had a gorgeous kitchen with a beautiful marble-topped island that had a large piece of glass cut to fit over it perfectly. The marble beneath looked pristine (it was white) and he mentioned he cooks frequently in that kitchen. Perhaps he wanted the look of the marble, but not the fragility of it. Can you get a piece of glass cut to fit over your marble island and put it on there for these such occasions? Just a thought.

Good luck. :)

o

Threeapples may have hit on the best solution--would the same type of glass as your dining table be too heavy/awkward to use as a temporary cover for the island?

o

That sounds great! (the glass)

Just wanted to point out that Bee chose SuperWhite and not marble I believe partly b/c she thought it wouldn't etch, etc like marble does.... so I think this is different from someone choosing marble who knows perfectly well what is in store.

o

I have to comment on this...

I remember the first time I went to a friend's new house for a dinner party. She was so anxious about everything and basically followed us around all night, wiping things down, etc. After dinner, she spent an hour in the kitchen deep cleaning (of course we all helped clear the table and do the dishes). The whole night my husband and I were so afraid to move for fear we might damage something. We were was ready to leave by 8:30pm. Needless to say, we're not looking forward to the next invitation...

o

However it happened, Bee, for heavens' sake embrace the stuff. For your own sake, no special covers to be hauled in, no running for coasters, no hustling visitors away as if it were a prize dinosaur skeleton on display. No babysitting a work table.

I didn't know about the tomatoes technique, but I'd be heading for the farmers' market right now and see what it would do for me. Or maybe you might save them for when the party moves onto the island? If your group's as boring as mine, though, how about just inviting them to take the lemon slices from their drinks and create their own abstract art?

Or, if you're not ready to move from the denial stage to acceptance yet, have you considered waxing it for the party?

o

Bee, I'm sorry but if I attended a party where the hostess covered the counters in plastic (or whatever) it would be the first thing I mentioned to my wife on the ride home.

The second thing would be the sanity of the hostess.

Be one with the marble and accept it's properties. It loves you just as you are.

Oooommmmmmmmmmmm.

Doc

o

More etching!

You apparently selected a living finish. The faster it gets living, the nicer it'll be.

Or apply a pasty wax really thick on it. So thick that wine beads up and pickles bounce off. But that's no fun. Embrace the evolution of your counter.

o

I was also thinking about Emeril's kitchen. I was drooling over his Smallbone kitchen on that episode. His island is either Super White or marble and has a thick piece of glass on top. It made me reconsider getting the blue and white marble I love rather than quartzite.

There is a video at this link that shows the island.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emeril

o

Mamagoose, you're right. I forgot about the dancing...
High heels on coffee tables can be downright gouging!

Bee, didn't you get the island because people gravitated towards your kitchen in the 1st place? That "e" word: Entertaining?

I like the look of loved, well-used marble. I can't imagine it being perfect. Well, perfect is in the eye, and I like the antique look.

Have the party in the back yard or at someone else's house and show a video tour?

o

What blue and white marble Kaysd?? I want to see it!

Bee - no plastic. I've had one BBQ since our marble was installed and sure enough, there's an etch. I've found that the drink rings disappear - some take a month or so. But this one etch is an etch. You can't really feel it dry, but wipe with a dishrag, and the rag holds up on the etch - it doesn't glide over. It's for real an etch and it's not leaving. Having said that, no one else notices it. I know exactly where it is, but I still have to bend and look in the light to see it. Enjoy your guests, stress over the etches afterwards, then just get used to them!

o

Bee - is your sealant water or silicone based? Some people have reported better protection with silicone based sealants.

I'm in the no saran wrap camp, sorry you're going through this.

o

If you cover your countertops with Saran Wrap can I please, please come? I want to see your guest's facial expressions :-)

In all seriousness though, didn't you go with the Super White over Marble to avoid this? Maybe a few more coats of sealant will help a little? The glass top for the party sounds like the best solution, although where would you store that and how heavy will it be? Or would you leave it on all of the time? I also like the idea of just going with it and making it part of the party by letting everyone rub lemons all over it :-)

o

Deb, the marble I love is Namibia Sky:

o

I think I'd try hard to just let it go and expect the counters to get a lived in look. That said, I totally understand what a bummer it is when a guest messes up new stuff (I'm looking at you, Dad)

Here's a cheap and cheerful idea you might try if you really want a little extra protection for your island. This may not be your style, but it could be super fun. Get a large roll of heavy duty craft paper. Cut pieces to cover your island, using 2-3 layers. If you plan to serve food on the island, place it on top layer of paper and write the names of the dishes to identify them for your guests. You can get fancy or silly with the penmanship and decorate with little drawings, stamps, stencils or whatever. If you aren't serving from there, put flowers on it and then a little jar or vase of fun pencils (Dollar Tree usually has cheap, colorful pencils). Set your wine glass there, write your name nearby and draw and arrow to your glass. People will hopefully get the idea and do the same with their glasses. To dress it up, you could add a fancy runner for the middle for contrast or do one in burlap for a rustic look. There are tons of possibilities and it could look really festive while protecting that island a little.

o

I'm back. Day of area rug shopping. No luck, btw.

Christine-you said "You can do what you want, but dearheart, this etching is gonna happen and you knew it.", and I should let you know that I did not know that my Super White would etch. It didn't etch during the testing phase. We tested it before we moved into this house. Turns out the water here is incredibly hard and it is just ruining the counter.

As for the suggestion to etch it all, I just can't. I really do love the shine of this stone.

And I could easily live with the blotchy etches, because they just blend in as gray marks. However, it's the various rings from glasses. (Still not sure how that is continuing to happen since if it is a glass, can, bottle, etc, it goes on a tray or a coaster.) And then the pickle juice splat. Seriously, you can see the main spot and all the little splash marks around it.

This is why I didn't go with marble. But if I had gone with marble, I would have gone with honed.

I'll pull out one of my old entertaining tricks to keep people out of the kitchen (to a certain extent)....I'll put the bar in the living room, and the food in the dining room. And then there will be the new deck, margarita machine out there!

Maybe some caution tape? "Do Not Cross" yellow tape running across the kitchen, that might make me look less like a nut job than plastic wrap.

I will check on the sealer to find out if it is a water based product.

Thanks for helping me keep my chin up. And I really do embrace this. I know my dh and I are probably the only ones who see the spots (and rings, grrr). They are not rough to the touch.

I do like the glass idea, but this counter is too big for that to work.

Bee

o

You need the heat shrink wrap that they use on gift baskets. And boats, only that is white. You want clear. Tape it under the edge, and heat shrink it down. It is very slick and shiny, and will not stick to your guests.

If you can't beat 'um, join 'um!!

Nancy

o

Bee - you're cracking me up! Do not use Sarah wrap; it doesn't have enough stick, You have to use that stuff from the hardware stone - the sticky plastic that is used to cover carpets during renovation. Smooth it down really carefully, and tada! Or plywood/osb - there's still time to sand it, maybe even a coat of stain before the party.

o

Bee---is it just the water that's etching the SW? It doesn't sound like just the water if you mentioned pickles with their acidity. For some reason I thought you were getting a whole house water softener. Maybe I am mistaken.

Frankly, this sucks to be happening. I remember all your comments on marble. How you wanted it, but were afraid of the etching. It's especially odd that your sample didn't etch. I'm trying to narrow down the variables. Was your sample a chunk from your actual slabs?

BTW, sealers do NOT prevent etching.

I've had a couple smallish (20 people) parties here in the new kitchen. The marble peninsula where I set up food buffets has new etches after every party. Why didn't I think the yummy Citrus Sald with Mint Sugar wouldn't splash onto the counters and etch? Not sure, but I don't care. DH pointed them out, and I merely shrugged and walked away with my glass of red wine sangria. :) The difference is that I *knew* my marble would etch. You had no such expectations.

((I'm in the no plastic camp also.))

o

You are not going to keep people out of that beautiful kitchen. And they are not only going to look at your counters but rub their hands all over them, if they see them.

I like the idea theredhouse has. Get white paper. Have several already cut so if it gets wet just pull it off and replace. In fact I'm going to remember that for when our kitchen is done and my DD has her friends over sitting at the island.

o

Remember that you can refinish the surface if it gets etched too unevenly. When our honed Danby was installed the honing job was terrible. There were swipe marks all over (they had obviously used acid rather than sanders) and it had a rough surface. My DH used an orbital sander with fiber net pads and resurfaced the whole thing to a gorgeous uniform honed finish. Since then we have gotten a few etches here and there but I am all about wabu sabe. Everything in my kitchen has "patina." And I like knowing we can bring it back to the way it was, if we ever want to.

o

ok, it's not Saran Wrap, its "Food Wrap". This stuff is really great. I used to work for Goodyear who also makes (or maybe I should say "made" since I don't know if they still have the business) Vitawrap. It's what is sold to butcher shops, grocery stores, etc. The really clingy stuff. Costco sells a version of it. And it is crystal clear, sticks to the counter. I am actually playing with it right now. If I could get a piece 4' wide, I'd be in business. The seams are what will give it away. It actually feels cool to the touch, doesn't move when I touch it. No worries, I will NOT use it for the party. But I thought I'd share....

Breezy, the water is etching it, especially under the cleanup sink. Too late with that discovery! Lots of drying going on now. We are going to add a water softener, and hopefully that will help. (Currently out of $1,000 bills) But like I said, it's the rings that drive me the craziest. The other blotches just blend in, are smooth to the touch. But the unnatural shape of the ring. My sample was not from my actual slab.

I've sent an email to the fabricator asking if they have a piece of SW that they can put that Daltile/Dupont Sealer on and see if delays cleanup time. That would be the only thing that I could hope for. It's not like a spritz of lemon will instantly etch it. It appears that I have time before it etches to clean up, but it is faster than I originally expected.

oh well, back to look at my plastic wrapped counter...

o

Bee I am having the same concerns about what is going to happen to my counters when we have 20 people here for our wedding this Sunday. I think I am going to set up my buffet area w/ drinks and food elsewhere and then i am going to put things that cannot spill- like candy dishes and a cheese platter, spread out all across the island taking up a lot of the space so that people will not be inclined to put things down on the island since it already HAS things down there and there isn't a lot of space left.

o

Would the marble polish products that are supposed to remove etches in marble work on your stone? I've included a link below, but this isn't the one I've seen before. I can't find that link. I know I'll be doing something like this to my bathroom countertops. I won't like the look of etching either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble Etch Remover

o

Bee I hate to remind you of this, but you did know that acid etched your sample for you posted you test results in a feb 5,2012 thread about super white etching:) You said you were still going to go with it for it had a slower reaction time than marble. For others looking for a marble substitute I tried them all and found the ones that looked most like marble also acted just like marble:(
As an 8 year owner of polished marble counters I promise the beauty of your counters is not lost by the etchings. Others will not see them like you do and if you relax you will love your counters marks and all. If you want to try polishing out a small etch Tin Oxide works well on my marble and may reshine some of your etching too. I had a hard time finding it but finally did at a jewlery supply site. It repolishes the surface spots so they shine more and it can only be used on polished stones. It has diminished many of my etchings and I used it alot in the first two years of owning my marble but now I quite looking at the rings and spots and remembering fun times and love how the stone is aging so I no longer use it.
Good luck and your kitchen is still perfect in my eyes!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee's Super White sample etching

o

Bee and Beagles, I am mainly a lurker so you will not "know" me. Ladies, this is your kitchen so deal with it. I was very much like the two of you until 8/24/07 when my husband had a minor heart attack playing golf in Williamsburg, VA, I was home in CT when it happened, flew down immediately and left his room for 10 minutes only to return to find him DEAD on the floor. No one expected this to happen but it did and it just about killed me.

I'm not stating this for sympathy, etc. but just to get you to realize that these 2 islands that you're so worried about are only possessions, not your family or your friends. Your possessions can be repaired or replaced, whatever, but you cannot bring a deceased person back to life.

So please try and enjoy your life, beagles, your upcoming wedding and bee, your house warming party and try to remember that the two of you are extremely lucky women even with potential etching on your islands.

o

The boat-wrap got me thinking.
You can get large sheets of window insulation 'wrap' (3M) from HD or Lowes. It is clear plastic film. You tape it down at the edges (up underneath the counter), then hit it with a blow dryer. It shrinks skin-tight.

o

roarah, but it etched when I left a lime slice on it overnight. I should get out that sample and look to see what those other lime juice spots looked like, I know I had to "look" for them. I don't think they were that big a deal on the sample. And I remember thinking, I am always cleaning up anyway, so it won't be a big deal, we don't leave stuff on the counters and clean up the next day. But geez, between making a sandwich, eating it, and cleaning up isn't much time....and then to find the pickle juice mark. I'm fine with it really. But it's just the water thing that is crazy. Never even thought about that. And for everyday use, no problem. I'm just more worried about a big party and what will happen. Hey, it is what it is!

beagles--Congrats on the BIG weekend! I'm sure everything will be beautiful for you both!

mskitchen, sorry for your loss. Trust me, and I think I can speak for Breezy, we both know about sudden loss of a loved one and how our worlds can be completely turned upside down without warning. You are 100% correct about it being a possession.

weedmeister, I like the way you think ;-)

Bee

o

Bummer. That stinks. How about a painted oil cloth that you could roll up and put away? Like these?
Photobucket
Your own style, of course.

You could use the plastic and if someone asks if you have wrapped your marble in plastic, blame your husband.

o

I only mentioned that thread so you do not invest in another expensive sealer for I think the etches are due to the nature(calcium) of the light parts of your stone. It looks like marble because some of it is made like marble, but overall, it is stronger and has less talc, thus some areas do not etch at all or as quickly.

I think if you are ok with the few etches now you will be ok with big party etches for the more you have the less you notice them. I can send you the tin oxide I have if you want to try polishing out the etches you have. Since it is safe for marble, which is softer and more prone to scratches, I bet it is fine for your quartzite too. I think your home is perfect and honestly no one else will see the etches like you do and you will in time notice them less and less too I bet. Enjoy you lovely house and all its guests!

o

roarah - so funny. I was following that thread when bee tested etching too, so when I read the above I was a little confused. I was considering super white until I read her results.

Bee, your beautiful kitchen works for you, you don't work for the kitchen. Why not use it, throw caution to the wind, then if you want to, have the stone re-polished every year. Keep in mind, my mother taught me to use the good china whenever it pleased me. Really, what are you saving it for but a party with friends and family?

o

I wouldn't use saran wrap, but you know what I WOULD do? Go to home depot and buy the clear painters' plastic and cut it to a perfect size for it to fit like a table cloth. Then tell everyone "Isn't this the greatest? A CLEAR tablecloth so it protects but you can still see the beautiful stone or wood underneath the table/counter?" Everyone will think you are a genius.

o

You do speak for me, Bee. My Dad's sudden death has changed my attitude about many things that used to make me uptight or worry. In the grand scheme of things, etches on my marble are NOTHING compared to that. Same with a 2y.o. screaming meltdown tantrum in the middle of the grocery store on a sunny August Monday when I pushed little DD's afternoon nap a bit too long. :) I'd take a jack hammer to my marble myself if it brought my Dad back.

The water etching thing is SO weird. I've never heard of that before. I didn't realize water softeners were so expensive. It would be a hard budget choice between completing the furnishings in the house or a water softener. Darn those structural foundational type expenses that take away all the fun money.

o

Etching doesn't bother me, in general, but those rings are definitely annoying because they're so perfect!
I know the cost of a whole house water system since we're doing one - ugh it's expensive! If the definite cause of the etching is the water, can you put one of those under the sink filter systems in so the kitchen water is at least softened?

o

Bee:
I had some etching on marble countertop in our master bath and my Mom has a vintage coffee table with a marble top that was etched. I found this product that works quite well -- Stonecare Pro Etch remover. They may have a different product for your stone or you can ask if the product I used is OK for yours.

You may want to give it a try. It works for my marble.

So sorry about your counters...but I do like the idea of plexiglass as an option for covering the island...

Here is a link that might be useful: stone care

o

Bee,
My personal opinion is that you may find the best outcome by simply being a gracious hostess, irrespective to the countertop material.

Have napkins and coasters available. Have a large enough cutting board at the ready so that that slice of lemon or lime is not resting on the counters. Use nice large plates. Don't use colored napkins (some can bleed when wet.)

And then do a quick wipe of the counter every hour or so...just to keep things tidy.

But the counter; it is just a rock, and if it will etch, then that is part of the rock-ness of it. It is unfortunate of course that your counter is not performing as expected. But it never will. And that doesn't make it worthless. Just not what you expected.

So live in your own home I say.

Cameron: Ferris, my father loves this car more than life itself.
Ferris: A man with priorities so far out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile.
[Ferris caresses the car in admiration]
Cameron: No. No! Apparently, you don't understand!
Ferris: [ignoring Cameron] Wow.
Cameron: Ferris, he never drives it! He just rubs it with a diaper!

o

Get a linen painter's drop cloth or 2 from HD or Lowe's and throw it/them over the island with a cut down plastic painters tarp underneath to protect from any spills. Steam it out so it has a "linen look" and do the job.

For me, the shrink wrap would be worse than the etching. Also, you might try the Akemi Nano sealer -- most liquids bead up.

mskitchen -- you have it straight. I am so sorry to hear your story.

o

Bee- none of us think twice about covering our beautiful dining room tables with table pads and tablecloths, and frankly many of the islands I see here are worth more than the dining tables. You "can't" cover your island with Saran wrap, as that would detract from your home, but you certainly have the right to protect your island and enjoy your own party. I love the paper art idea- what if you put down table pads or outdoor felt back table cloths as a water barrier and then the white butcher paper on top - ask everyone to write their favorite piece of advice for keeping a happy home. Then, people won't want to ruin the paper and won't put their food down. Or, you could use the waterproof barrier and cover with a beautiful white banquet tablecloth. You have an issue you didn't expect, and you're just doing what's necessary so the problem isn't exacerbated.
As for bulletproof by DuPont, I have the brochure right here- it's waterbased and it specifically excepts etching from its warranty. Also (I think I mentioned this on another post somewhere) our fabricator specifically warned me about hard water and the super white ... I hope a water softener works. And as a final thing ...your house is so gorgeous, and you have a great time showing it off.

o

Dearest sweet Bee...step away from the Saran Wrap.

Perhaps you should just have an etching party? Sort of like a bandaid - you know, get all the pain out of the way at quickly and at once. Every guest is given lemons and they go to town...etch away.

I'm kidding, of course...but, here's the thing...these etches and marks...they are signs of life and love within your home. Embrace them and allow them to remind you of your fortune to share life with family and friends.

This first part of your etching issue is bound to be the worst...but, after a few good parties, your counter should progress to the "patina" area. I know it's not what you imagined in your gorgeous kitchen, but sometimes when life hands you lemons...you just gotta put them all over the counter...oh wait, the saying is "make lemonaid". nevermind. ;-)

o

I just wanted to add that if your water is hard then to put in a water softner. What I would do is by a decorative table runner and lay it across the long side of island without the sink. In the center put a nice vase of flowers. Beside the sink I would use the previous posters suggestion to a large cutting board.

o

If water is truly etching your counter, I say go for broke and wipe it all down. It's a kitchen and the counter will get water on it. I don't understand why it's not already all etched if even just water will do it.

I'm pretty sure my dh would consider locking me up (only half joking!) if I spent that much on a counter and covered it up with something. Of course, he merely tolerates my TKO-ness on the best of days.

I think you should play it all uber-cool and do nothing out of the ordinary. Your guests almost certainly will not notice the etching. If one does (there's always one like that, isn't there?) just respond "Yes, it etches, and over time it will gain a patina that will only enhance its beauty. But like all good things that will take some time." Then offer them an hors d'oeuvre to keep their mouth busy.

If you were okay with plastic, you would have considered a laminate. I am willing to bet your stone, with all its imperfections, makes your heart sing more than a laminate would.

o

I wonder what that hard water is doing to your laundry, your W/D, your plumbing, your hair, and your skin?

I know my potties are orange.

good luck with whatever you do.

o

I don't believe a water softener changes the pH balance of water. It simply replaces calcium, magnesium, etc for salt or potassium. If hard water is leaving marks, it's more likely residue than etching. Softened water also leaves residue but cleaning it up is easier since the residue should just be salt.

If the condensation from glasses is leaving etching, that's obviously unrelated to your water supply. That's water from the air, and a softener isn't going to affect it. I'm now kind of curious what the pH is from water condensate like that, but I would be surprised to hear it's aggressive enough to etch.

As a side note, reverse osmosis water is fairly aggressive (alkaline pH, I believe). My granite is very prone to etching but my RO water has never caused any etching.

o

If it's a party, then you are perfectly available to put a tablecloth on the island to save it. Better yet, make it a theme party, and decorate with something along those lines. Even having everything with a beach theme...or...I dont know.

I wouldnt go overboard...just use a tablecloth. And here's another trick...use a plastic tablecloth underneath the nice tablecloth so any liquid will not go through...

Much cheaper, easier to store..and you will be all set...

no saran wrap...

o

I'm so sorry about the etching. These are the things which make us crazy - all the work involved in the planning and install and then... having to plan again and redo (not to mention the hemorrhaging money part).

I'm in the no saran wrap camp. I like the tomatoes/etching party ideas (keep waiting for pictures on the marble acid wash thread) but don't think you would be able to stand doing this. Suggest you get a quote from your local glass store for some pieces to place on top.

Open house party - sounds lovely. So glad you are at this stage. I'm sure it will be a wonderful success. Let us know what you end up doing and please post pictures of the event/food!

juliekcmo - love movie, great quote.

OT- beaglesdoitbetter - Wedding? Yeah!!! I've been wondering when you would tie the knot.

o

A neighbor of ours gutted their house, and put in a beautiful, custom
all white kitchen, with the most gorgeous marble counters-island and
perimeter-that I've ever seen.

Last month they had a barbecue for about 100 guests. When I
walked into the kitchen and saw the marble covered with plastic
wrap, I totally understood. Didn't think it weird at all. Unfortunate
that they had to do that, but not weird.

Do what you want to protect your investment. If you have to do a
bit of explaining to your guests, so be it. Have your party and be
worry free.

o

Bee, I'm sorry the unexpected is happening to your counter. I'm with the others who suggest simply letting it etch, even hastening the inevitable. Being a gracious, warm host and friend is a million times better than being remembered as someone who maintained a flawless counter at any cost. Life is short.

o

Umm, no.

We only have marble on one of our two islands, so it is a bit easier for us to avoid. Our kids know not to put anything on it ---- there is a lot of counterspace so no need really.

I think you would want guests to see the marble, no? It's so pretty.

Here's what I do for parties. I put as many things as I can on it that will not cause trouble. Breads, cheese and crackers, desserts, a guest book, a raffle basket, candles, anything I can think of that dissuades the unitiated from putting the wrong thing down. Second, I usually have help at a larger gathering (even high school students will do). I assign them to guard the marble and steer folks away from it if they look like they might be about to set something down on it!

Sounds crazy, huh? Not really as it is only one small surface an probably represents only about 25% of our countertop area.

Good luck

o

I went to a wedding shower once where the hostess asked us to take off our shoes if they were anything but flats (and did not offer anything to wear in their place) because her DH didn't want the new hardwood floors damaged by high heels. (So they had chosen floors you couldn't walk on?) I felt like Carrie in a similar situation on "Sex in the City": "But this is an outfit!" Also, that I wished I'd polished my toe nails. Also, that she should have told her husband where she was going to put her high heels.

Not really the same thing, but I'm letting you know how guests feel- and how long they remember - when the host does something that suggests the house is for looking, not using. That said, a tablecloth, runner, strategically-placed cutting boards or placemats, or a custom fitted sheet of plexi - lighter and safer than glass to move - would not seem weird to your guests, and it would protect the surface.

As I've said before, my granite guy recommends a "permanent" sealer called Tekon. That might be something to consider. Also, sayde's talented DH rehoned their marble fairly easily when she wasn't satisfied with how the fabricator had honed it. Is yours honed? Maybe you could redo it periodically.

o

Am I the only person that loves to go into old buildings with old marble counters, sinks etc. I guess what you call etched is what I see as a patina.

o

eandhl, if you think you're the only person, you obviously didn't read this thread! [LOL]

Good luck, Bee!

o

Notice that glass is considered acceptable. But like it or not, anything clear, plastic and protective has certain connotations that it can't live down.

I am right on the verge of putting clear plastic covers on my dining room chairs. I sent the silk fabric off for some super special to-the-trade-only treatment that did absolutely zip. Each dinner party yields a new stain and another round of blotting with baby powder.

You're in a tough spot because the problem area happens to be your counters. I do think other people's houses are indeed for looking, not touching, and am astonished that anyone could disagree. Even though I treat my guests well, they are not the royals and do not have the right to dictate how I spend my money, what materials I use in my own house or what state of decrepitude I am willing to accept, all for a few hours of their own convenience. The exceptions are the things that guests would rightfully expect to use, as in a floor to walk on, upholstery to park their tuchises or, sadly, a countertop to put down their drinks.

Do what you can to protect the counters now, but I think you need a come-to-Jesus moment where you decide what the permanent solution is. It is really, really hard to live with kitchen countertops that remind you of every fleeting error for years to come.

o

I'm glad I'll never get to be a guest in your house, Marcolo :-) Houses are for living, museums are for looking.

o

Another reminder that I made the right choice *for me* by foregoing marble in my kitchen.

And now I will antagonize all the happy marble owners and add: there is a reason that in spite of all the people on the board who insist marble is a perfect counter top, many/most professionals advise against it: it's soft, it etches and it stains. With the caveat that everyone has a different threshold, choosing marble really should be something that one goes in realizing the counters are going to look banged up. Quickly, permanently and without a way to prevent it. Yes, some folks don't mind but I have long thought it does a real disservice that so often in the myriad marble-yes-or-no conversations here, the 'oh just seal it/oh just ignore the etching/oh it gives it character' view seems to win the day.

This post should definitely be required reading for everyone swayed by the pretty pictures in magazines of marble countertops...

o

I do live in my house, weissman. My guests don't.

runninginplace, I wholeheartedly agree with you that many people are browbeaten on this forum into getting marble when it is not the right choice for them. Some people genuinely love the patina and don't care. But if someone repeatedly asks for reassurances that the etches won't show or can be buffed out, it's crystal clear they should choose something else. Yet many try to corner them into getting the marble, falsely saying things like "My marble doesn't etch," as if the rules of chemistry bow to their preferences.

Obviously bee's counters aren't marble, but they still demonstrate that the magazine-worthy shots of polished and pristine white stone come at a risk, no matter what the material.

o

Just wanted to add I went by the Home Depot today for some spray paint. I looked for plexiglass sheets. Eureka! 36" x 48" sheets available. They are crystal clear. I might use 3 of them, and along with some cutting boards it will look fine.

Of course this is assuming we can get the sharp corners rounded so as not to be a hazard. Just what I would need...blood dripping around the house. Oh wait....I already have that (found blood on the woodwork while painting the dining room--nice. Must have been from the guy who walked into the dining room light and cut his head).

So, yes, I am embracing the etches. I just want to make clear that I'm absolutely fine with them. (except those dang rings). I guess it just bugs me that most people know to use a coaster on wood. They just assume that if it's a rock they can do whatever they want to it. Sort of like when we got our 48" ss fridge/freezer in the last house....why was there the great need by big men to lean on it?..with their belts??? ugh Same thing about seeing an interesting wall color, and touching it! Why are you touching my newly painted walls? Sorry, I digress.

I will look into all the products that have been suggested to me. Who knows, maybe something will get the rings out. And really, I do have to lean down, with the window behind the mark to see it. Except at my cleanup faucet. That area is very rough. Lots of water must have stood there before our discovery.

I hope no one was offended by this thread. Obviously it was meant to be fun. And I can honestly say, I never would have thought of the plexiglass idea on my own!

If you come to party, please shoo the other guests from the kitchen, ok?

Bee

o

I'm sorry your super white is etching. I'm sure you'll find a good solution - water softener, different sealer, etc. I know water softeners are expensive, but it's still the first thing I bought. Hard water is horrible!

Your plastic wrap idea reminded me of my dad when I was a kid. He would buy a used car and clean it up so pretty that we weren't allowed to touch it. We would joke that the car was covered with cellophane. After a while, he would tire of having a car that he couldn't haul his 5 kids around in (and really, I wouldn't have let us in there either!) and sell it. There are a lot of cars that I can vaguely remember, but I can't remember actually riding in them.

Personally, I'd have fun at the party and figure out the etch problem later. When my kids break something valuable, I tell them I love them more than the object they broke. It would be like telling your friends you love them more than your kitchen - even if it isn't true ;)

o

I guess it just bugs me that most people know to use a coaster on wood. They just assume that if it's a rock they can do whatever they want to it.

I don't think it's that it's a rock (they might not abuse an antique marble sideboard), so much as that it's a kitchen counter. And I think it's a fair assumption that you should be able to open a jar on it.

Same thing about seeing an interesting wall color, and touching it! Why are you touching my newly painted walls? Sorry

If you can suggest any way to stop people from touching my $@*(*) drapery, I'll be most grateful. Why do you have to touch curtains? Am I asking you to wear them? Are you Scarlett O'Hara?

o

This thread gives me hope that I'm not as OCD as I thought! Thanks!

o

marcolo- Tomorrow is another day...

I like this thread, Bee. I'm don't like that you're having this problem but it's a good thread nonetheless!

o

I'm not OCD so I'm probably one of those who would ooh and ahh and touch your new drapes. I'm very textural...I love to touch...and experience texture. When I first got my P&F Cashmere finish hutch, I couldn't stop touching it. Many times, I would go in to my dining room, just to run my hand across it. I just did my neighbors kitchen in Bubinga wood tops from Craft-art (see pic below)...and they are gorgeous to see and touch.

But anyway...this thread has indeed taught me something....do not touch people's drapes! Promise I won't, unless they're mine.

o

Bee - I was just in an newish Italian restaurant yesterday which had a marble bar where people can sit and eat and watch the chefs. It was covered with ring shaped etches. It looked beautiful and well loved and well used. Maybe you just need more rings.

o

marcolo - where did you get the photo of my grandma's sofa?

o

We have a marble on our 42" x 48" island that borders on being limestone, and were told that it would etch. I'd rather not have gotten it, but DH loved it, so I decided I could live with the etching . . . until it was time for our first potluck. I could see salad dressings etching the heck out of it, so I covered it with a relatively attractive vinyl picnic table cloth, which didn't seem to bother anyone. But we have granite on the perimeter cabinets, so there's no problem there.

The next time I had a potluck I decided to not cover the island, thinking that it would be better to just relax about the etching issue. Now I have a circular ring and a rectangular one from a salad bowl and a 9 x 13" baking dish--not very attractive, so what's the point of having the beautiful marble? Usually the counter tops are covered with serving dishes and plates, etc. when people come over, so they really don't notice it. However, if I had it to do over, I would not get marble.

Anne

o

We have a marble on our 42" x 48" island that borders on being limestone, and were told that it would etch. I'd rather not have gotten it, but DH loved it, so I decided I could live with the etching . . . until it was time for our first potluck. I could see salad dressings etching the heck out of it, so I covered it with a relatively attractive vinyl picnic table cloth, which didn't seem to bother anyone. But we have granite on the perimeter cabinets, so there's no problem there.

The next time I had a potluck I decided to not cover the island, thinking that it would be better to just relax about the etching issue. Now I have a circular ring and a rectangular one from a salad bowl and a 9 x 13" baking dish--not very attractive, so what's the point of having the beautiful marble? Usually the counter tops are covered with serving dishes and plates, etc. when people come over, so they really don't notice it. However, if I had it to do over, I would not get marble.

Anne

o

I'm a lurker with a lousy, tiny kitchen, which even in the best case scenario remodel will never be as nice as some of the butler's pantries that I see in the photos on this site. From that vantage point, it sort of baffles me that anyone would build such a lovely space and then feel compelled to keep guests away or cover the surfaces in shrouds to keep people from using it as it was intended (e.g, place items on a countertop.)

I guess I should feel glad that I will never have this problem - my house and my budget just aren't big enough to have such a beautiful room, or one that is off-limits to errant glassware! - but instead it just seems sad. After all the time, money, and heart and soul that was poured into these renovations, I hope you can find a way to enjoy your new kitchen fully with your family and friends. Good luck with the party!

o

Is holding the party outside an option?

I have laid table cloths or bamboo runners on my island for extra protection and for decoration.

o

well bee, I take it from a number of posts here that you're glad you DON'T have marble - lol!

anyway, I see no reason why you can't entertain, be a good hostess and have a good time with your friends AND have something covering your island (at least for now). What's the problem with that? Do a lot of people have 'friends' who are only friends if they can see your beautiful counter top?

go with the plexi and sand the corners. You can also buy that oil cloth (with felt type underside) by the yard at some fabric shops. check with JoAnn's. That way you could have a running length of it to use. I've used the table clothes myself to cover things while painting. Yrs back I bought it by the yard also and cut it down to line shelves.

I remember people back when I was growing up who had that plastic on their furniture. My sister covers things with huge sheets of plastic after she's dusted to keep it as dust free as possible while she cleans the rest of the house - she's slow at it because she's disabled. She usually only does that when expecting company from out of town. I call it a smart move.

As for following people around slipping a coaster under their glass - my sister has been known to follow me around at her house w/a piece of tape (or tape roller) dehairing me. My hair falls out a lot and she doesn't like it floating around her house. I don't like it here either but can't follow myself around doing that.

btw, we had a similar thread a yr or 2 back. I think it involved a big family holiday dinner.

o

I'm glad you found a solution; why not limit the etchings, specially since you'll have no control over what is set on the counter once the party is underway.
I would leave large trays around on the island.

o

Marcolo, where did you find pictures of my godmother's couch? Every piece of upholstered furniture, including the dining chairs was encased. :-) It was an interesting place to visit as a child.

Bee, I am wondering if the etching from glasses is caused by residue from the dish detergent or rinse aid. It sounds as if this is happening as a reaction to the condensation on the glasses? Something to consider.

I am sorry to hear you are dealing with this, particularly as you chose this material because you did not want to worry about etching marble. We all embrace patina differently.

I think that the plexi is an excellent party cover, perhaps using the small clear discs between the plexi and counter that are used under glass coverings? The edge can be eased by sanding, no more blood shed ;-)

Good luck to you. I am sure your guests will enjoy your beautiful home, and your warm hospitality. Anyone that fixates on the protective plexi or etching, well.. they have their own special set of issues, don't they.

o

I miss sticking to the plastic covered seats in the summer at my aunt's house. Good times.

I know when my SIL comes this weekend she's going to touch my drapes. Any suggestions? Should I look into those wide plastic rolls at Costco that bee mentioned? Could I hack one of those invisible dog fences and electrify them? If everyone prefers the plexi, maybe I could encase them?

o

I know when my SIL comes this weekend she's going to touch my drapes. Any suggestions?

Immediately after she does, perhaps you could walk over and caress the sleeve of her dress/blouse/jacket and coo "Oooh, this fabric is sooo inviting! I just love how it feels. You don't mind, do you?"

o

Marcolo, tell her there is a spider problem and they seem to be all over the drapes lately.
I have to say I have great family and friends. Other than placing possible etching glasses on my counter, which is where they would seemingly belong, they usually never cause any more damage to things in my home then we do via just living in it. And many of the guest we host are under five:)!

o

marcolo, make a set of curtains from this, and hang in front of your nice curtains. This is the 24" wide width, it will be lovely.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: film

o

Do they make clear ball fringe? That would be nice.

My own family make perfect guests. No one touches anything. I think my parents must've convinced us that all home furnishings were radioactive.

It's those people. Plus neighbors and whatnot.

I'm also amazed that no one ever offers to pay for anything they break. I'd never shake down a guest for a broken glass because that just happens. But if your overwhelming curiosity compels you to actually pick up a potted plant and turn it upside down looking for a label on the bottom--with predictable results--you better offer to pony up.

o

I, think you should just whap the caution tape around the island and tell your guest that the last people that went near your island are missing. Lol I was in Minneapolis, this summer for my brother in laws funeral. His son has over a two million dollar home and had everyone over after the service. They had the most beautiful things, his wife, was so down to earth and not worrying about her home but was just making people feel at home. Sure you do not want your things damage but the most important thing is just relaxed and enjoy the time with your guest.

o

I, think you should just whap the caution tape around the island and tell your guest that the last people that went near your island are missing. Lol I was in Minneapolis, this summer for my brother in laws funeral. His son has over a two million dollar home and had everyone over after the service. They had the most beautiful things, his wife, was so down to earth and not worrying about her home but was just making people feel at home. Sure you do not want your things damage but the most important thing is just relaxed and enjoy the time with your guest.

o

Bee, re: water softener. Look on Craigslist. I bought ours on CL, it was a $5000 2yr old system and we paid $850. It is fabulous!!!

Lots of people move in to town, move out of house to apt., and they sell them pretty cheap.

Just an idea I wanted to throw out there. We needed one badly, but the one I wanted was the one my daughter uses and couldn't afford it at the time. I was shocked at how many were actually on CL. I got the same unit as hers at 1/5 the cost! She was mad. lol

Good luck!

o

I have the perfect solution. Take some of those furniture sticky pads, (that you put on the leg of a chair so it doesn't scrape the hardwood) peel off the stickers and place them on the bottom of your plates. They come in all sizes.

If they work for your glasses too - fine. If they don't, get some inexpensive cork-like coasters and cut them to conform to the bottom of the glass. Then 'lightly' glue them to the bottom of your glasses. You could make a joke of the whole thing, folks would feel comfortable in your kitchen and home, and your countertop would remain intact!

o

So sorry, Bee. I can relate. I am trying so hard to just be relaxed when family and friends come over to see our new and improved space. But it's hard to let go. And yes, I get the whole thing about how important the people are, not the stuff. But when you care so much and put so much into your space, it's like my baby, at least at first. I will let go, but it's going to take some time. I am aghast at how many friends let their little children run around with food. Double gasp! When I'm at my house or someone else's house, my children must sit while they eat, and I wipe their hands and mouths with baby wipes immediately after eating. I think there are two camps of people, and if the uber relaxed folks would be a little more respectful of other people's stuff, perhaps the uptight folks could relax more ;-) By the way, I am totally fine if someone spills a drink by mistake. That's different.
We had the neighborhood over for a patio party a week after finishing construction. About 40 people including two dozen little munchkins. A thunderstorm sent us all inside just as the pizza arrived. I had to take a deep breath, smile, and pretend it was all good in our 1800 square foot home. Tough one. Loved having everyone over, but wasn't ready to have them all inside at the same time. I just sent all the little children into our playroom to eat the pizza, criss cross apple sauce. What a mess, but it was fun, and I was proud of myself for faking it (at least I think I faked it!). However, I admit that as soon as everyone went back outside in the post-storm sunshine, I frantically cleaned up as best I could without trying to seem like I was doing just that ;-)
Oh, and we have terribly hard water too and can't wait until we can get a water softener. Aside from budget, we need to look at the standard ones vs the new salt-free ones (anyone have an opinion?) All I know is I'm afraid of the hard water with the Rohl faucets. The water is certainly leaving ugly surface residue on my PA soapstone counters. Grrr.

o

Actually, there are plenty of people who come into my house that I care less about than my drapery.

o

Bee - a little late to the party - LOL - I so remember people covering up furniture, etc to avoid damage -
I can feel for you - when I had my first group of peeps over - and the kitchen isn't even finished - I thought everything was under control - what could go wrong...

Well, I went out as someone was cutting up the pie for dessert - they were using my new Wolf induction cooktop for a cutting board....

AHHHH

I politely move the pie to the countertop area!!!

Fortunately, the cooktop survived!!!

I would purchase some nice placemats and place them around the marble - with just enough space to see the marble but not to put things down....

I was following the thread on my iphone - but probably missed a few comments., so hope not too redundant...

Work - just gets in my way..

o

I have the perfect solution. Take some of those furniture sticky pads, (that you put on the leg of a chair so it doesn't scrape the hardwood) peel off the stickers and place them on the bottom of your plates. They come in all sizes.

If they work for your glasses too - fine. If they don't, get some inexpensive cork-like coasters and cut them to conform to the bottom of the glass. Then 'lightly' glue them to the bottom of your glasses. You could make a joke of the whole thing, folks would feel comfortable in your kitchen and home, and your countertop would remain intact!

o

oops - missed the d in moved - sorry

o

they were using my new Wolf induction cooktop for a cutting board....

Reminds me of this clip:

Here is a link that might be useful: new cutting board

o

That's a big problem with induction. If someone tried to use your Capital Culinarian as a cutting board, you could just turn on all four 23,000 BTU burners at once. Simple, effective, and permanent.

Maybe I could rig up an acetylene with a motion detector in front of my drapes?

I am also looking for a way to stop people touching my throw pillows. My couch has two functioning pillows and two clearly meant just for show. A few people have the brains not to sit on them but we have made it a practice to say, "Let me get all those pillows out of your way so you can be comfortable" and moving them aside. Most people get it. However, there is the occasional rare bird who tries to pull the pillow away from us so they can, wait for it, roll it up and stuff it under their armpits.

This is where I think some kind of fast-acting chemical coating might be the answer.

o

This is REALLY such a thought provoking post!! I couldn't help but read it w/103 comments from the very owners of some of my personal best kitchen inspirations.

Our homes manifest and represent such a profound display of the constructs of our individual psyches, it is no wonder that the range of comments are so interesting: deal w/it, dont worry be happy (even if your investment gets ruined), be grateful, you knew what you were in for, living is what is important- etc, etc.

I read each comment over a few times, scratching my head, trying to see which philosophy I best aligned with before coming to the realization that I share a combination of most of the feelings that everyone posted.

Bee, I am just sorry that you have to be confronted with this dilemma !! From reading your many posts about kitchens AND LIFE - you sound like a compassionate, warm person who enjoys her home, and LIKES to entertain there but who is also a perfectionist. Your beautiful homes attest to this fact.

So what you need to concentrate on is finding the right balance so that YOU feel comfortable enough about having guests around the counters and do not feel the angst from either covering them or not covering them !

I do like the look of what babuska_cat did with the butcher block, and I like the idea of a clear thru plexi material on top. The only thing that scares me - is what if something spilled on top and was able to seep underneath these materials? That could be a bigger disaster to your counters because it would probably sweat, etc, So whatever you decide to put down would have to totally cover all surfaces of your counter and be secure.

I am sure we will all be looking forward to want you decided and how you felt after the party. I know it will be lovely whatever you decide. (I sure admire the person who commented about having to have the pizza party inside w/all the kids after the weather turned bad...I dont know if I could pull off being so gracious!!)

Anyway, for now, I keep thinking about that darn SW ! and other alternative material choices!! I am no where near picking out finishes at all - havent even considered a plan yet. But have been on this forum for about the past 5 months and listen and learn from all of you. To tell you the truth, I wasnt even sure what etching was until I read further in the post. But boy, will I ever be aware now.

TY Bee, and EVERYONE who expressed their thought about this. I am forever learning something from this forum.

o

Fellow Super White owner here. I live in a city with just about the softest water imaginable (something like 1.0 grains of hardness per something or other), however, and I've had no problems with the SW etching from tap water. It will etch, though, as Bee has found, with acids that are left on it. I did want to reassure people considering SW that, in our experience, it's much more durable than regular marble--particularly if you have soft water, like we do. Etching is not instantaneous, even with lemon or lime juice. It takes a few minutes before it happens. After a few months living with it, we have no etches around our sink from the water, and only a couple of minor blotches from other things. We also get tiny, very faint scratches,w which are developing into a gentle patina now. (Is that happening for you too, Bee? I think our SW is slightly older.)

Bee, perhaps repolishing would be helpful once you get a water softener? We figure that if it bothers us a lot in a year or two, we'll have someone come repolish it, but as of right now, it's fine for us (but we don't have the hard water problem).

I have contemplated waxing it as someone suggested. We did that when our old formica countertops were getting worn out, and liquids did bead up on it. If I try it, I will report back!

Has anyone used one of the etch remover products linked above? Perhaps one of those would be helpful for Bee and the rest of us!

o

Time heals all. Or most, at least.

Our counter (huge calcatta, >100 s.f.) is now over 5 years old. It is etched everywhere, lots and lots of distinctive rings, smudges, spatters, blobs, etc. I love it more now than ever. I spent the requisite 4 weeks after installation obsessing over etches, to the point of getting cleaning instructions translated into Portuguese for our housekeepers. Didn't work. We cook a lot, had teenaged kids, and the etching developed quickly.

Now, though, it's so heavily etched that it doesn't attract attention, the way that first cup bottom ring does when it happens. Otherwise it's perfect--never a stain despite only sealing twice in five years, no chipping, cracking, and for me, infinitely more warm and attractive than granite.

And, the etching remains visible only to those who know how to look for it. When we entertain, no one notices unless they have marble too (and know me well enough to comment).

So, to runninginplace, I don't think the vast majority of marble owners here on GW were "misled" into choosing marble. We knew what we were getting, and we love what we have. Just look at the paucity of "I hate my marble" threads here as an example. Bee's situation is different--she did NOT come into this expecting etching and thus I understand. But I don't believe there are a lot of us marble owners who would trade even after 10,000 etches.

o

I prefer my works of art on the wall rather than casting them in the role of pseudo kitchen counters or pillows. :) If something cannot be used as intended, then it fails it's primary mission. I'm afraid I'd have to remove that granite in favor of something else, even a picture of stone (laminate), if I couldn't actually use it as a counter and I'd frame that textile rather than putting it on a pillow.

No help I know, but I'd let that counter etch naturally, and if I couldn't stand it in a couple of years when the budget recovered, they'd be replaced with something that I wouldn't have to worry about becoming damaged with ordinary use.

o

Oh my goodness there were so many posts about this and I could not read them all.

I saw the mention of glass and some thought this was a good idea. My thought, a large piece of glass will be so heavy to move should you want to take it off of put it on and someone will put a glass down quickly and it will shatter. How about a large piece of plexiglass instead? You could get some cut at a home store or maybe a glass shop and just lift it up ( lighter than glass for sure) when you need to protect your counters. Maybe you can just do one end of the island? Such as the end nearer to the living area?
I am sorry about the etching and realize that you did not expect it. Got to get that water softener in quickly!

Best of luck and enjoy your housewarming party!!!!

o

I have a lot of marble in my kitchen; the flooring and most of the perimeter countertops. I love it and it is holding up well. There is no staining. There most definitely is etching. But it is only bothersome to me in one area, opposite the refrigerator. I had not planned to use it there but caved for esthetic reasons following a design change. I knew it would be a problem because it is a landing spot. I did not use marble on the island for that reason. Although it is true that no one seems to notice (I haven't had a single comment) the etching there is, to me, quite ugly and the transition to patina cannot come soon enough. So I share and sympathize with your feelings, Bee, and while I do have some reservations about the plastic wrap, I do agree that you should take steps to protect your beautiful countertops. It is you who will have to suffer the aftermath every day if you do not.

o

LOL Marcolo, ......stuffing pillows under your armpits. Every hostess lives for that..HAHAHAHA P.S. Love that pic of the "sealed in" sofa...because it's such a lovely sofa to preserve, hee hee. I remember a movie where this impeccably dressed and coiffed wife had everything in the house encased in plastic and even had runners of plastic on the carpet. If you ever stepped off the runner of plastic on your way somewhere else in the house she would wag her finger at you reminding you to STAY ON THE PLASTIC!!! It was so funny, so stereotypical of how they were trying to portray the wife so the unfaithful husband would seem justified ...of course.

o

I just had a brainstorm. Why not borrow Marcolo's drapes to cover your counters during the party. You'd protect your counters and the drapes would develop a lovely patina :-)

o

I don't think hard water causes etching. My understanding is the same as Chef's: hardness is calcium in the water and it doesn't change the PH of the water. Roughness where hard water has sat is more likely to be due to the calcium being deposited from the water as it evaporated. That can happen on any stone or any other counter material (but the deposit is whitish so it's most visible on dark ones). The problem is that removers for the scale that builds up from hard water are acidic so they could cause etching.

Several people have suggested buffing or marble polish products to get rid of etches. If the stone is quartzite mixed with something calcium based, that might not work like it does for marble. Marble is very soft compared to granite and quartzite. Quartzite is harder than granite. If the composition of the etched stone is partly something calcium based and partly quartzite, the quartzite content might resist buffing or polishing.

An attempt at acid washing might also not produce good results because of the mixed content. If one had a big remnant, one might try it there first.

o

At one point I put this up by my door.

I eventually took it down, but my guests also took the point.

o

Marcolo, I have a sign waiting to be hung in the garage..

Unattended children will be give an espresso and a free kitten.

As far as my water etching it and those who say it can't....well, it is! Especially in the area under the cleanup faucet, where it was getting wet and we weren't drying it. It is rough to the touch and no shine at all. When I asked the fabricator she told me a friend of hers had hard water, same thing happened, she got the softener and that stopped happening. So, I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but it is for sure due to something from my water.

I like the idea of using Marcolo's drapes. Marcolo, pm me and I'll send you my address....lol

o

I am sure your kitchen/countertops are still AMAZING (to die for)!!!

My story is no where near your situation but I remember my horror to this day.
When we moved into our first home (felt very grown up and excited), we didn't have any money left for a nice livingroom set. So we lived with an empty livingroom for over 3 years (we had a furnished familyroom).
So after months of savings and searching, we found a beautiful Ethan Allen set that DH and I could both agree on.
A week later was our annual BBQ, where I watched a little girl SMEAR Doritos chips orange cheese sticky from her hand onto my beautiful new upholstered side chair, on her way to the deck.
I KNEW KNEW KNEW I should have plastic wrap the livingroom set, but I was so excited about finally have nice grown up (non-college) furniture.
~7 Years later and my livingroom set is still beautiful - a bit worn but still I love it (what cheese mark?)

--> Help with a question:
Does really hard water both etch AND stain marble?

I am prepared for the etching, but staining? Even with frequent good sealing (w/ either 511 or the 15year warranty Dupont sealing)?
I have really hard water and am not planning (not in the budget) to get a soft water system.

Thank you,
Amanda

o

In a raking light is the dull area around the faucet raised or not? If it's raised, it could be mineral deposits from the hard water. I get that in my bathroom. It is rough to the touch and dull white. I use vinegar to remove it - not an option for you, however.

o

I know our moderately hard water will leave rings/marks on our granite if allowed to sit or dry on it. When that happens, I buff the "marks" with a piece of 000 or 0000 steel wool (I keep a piece handy for this purpose, and re-use the same piece for some time, so don't recall which degree of coarseness is in "rotation" at the moment).

Granted, these marks on our stone aren't etches, but it might be worth giving the steel wool a try to see if they remove water deposits from your SW.

o

With hard water you should be seeing some build-up on your glasses (white cloudy). When we lived in Ithaca the water was sooo hard. I had a baby then and every week I had to soak all the glasses and baby bottles in hot water with white vinegar to remove the build-up. Are you getting any build-up on your glassware?

o

I intentionally did my countertop in unsealed copper. I knew what was coming, but, I pampered it anyway. Then I set a glass of ice water on the counter and walked off talking on the phone.
When I came back, there was A RING!! And wipe off, it did not.
That's all it took. That 1st spot.
Now, Every few days I spray a different cleaner on it, drip a different substance on it, spill a little something on it....Just to see what happens next.

That's all I need. That 1st scratch, That 1st chip, That 1st smudge, stain, spot, spill. Then I can use it as it was intended.
I sure wish somebody would dribble a lil something on my couch. It sure looks compfortable. I'd sure like to sit on it sometime.
I lost several lbs waiting on the All-Clad to get a good scuff or scratch on them.

A house warming party, to me, is a perfect opportunity to knock the new off of a house and turn it into a home. With an added bonus of being able to blame somebody else for it.

o

where I watched a little girl SMEAR Doritos chips orange cheese sticky from her hand onto my beautiful new upholstered side chair

That's what pools are for. Big enough for the whole family, plus a few cinderblocks.

I was chatting with a neighbor out front last week, and we invited her in for a glass of wine. She had never sat in our living room before, as it turns out. I think she had a good time, but she kept raising and lowering her glass so nervously she started to look like Hyacinth Bucket's nervous neighbor Elizabeth. That's what I like to see in a guest. Fear.

o

Marcolo, I literally LOL'd at the fearful guest comment. Love the Hyacinth reference. Wonder how many got that one ?

o

HAHAHA!!!! I love Hyacinth!!!

o

Lol, Marcolo you are too funny! I remember a few horrible experiences as a young mother when having other young mothers to my house. My kids were never allowed to eat in the family room. They ate at the kitchen table or counter while sitting on a chair or in a high chair. I actually stopped inviting one gal over because she came with a tote of messy snacks for her tot's. When she left, I had hardened on gunk on the TV, she let them smear crap all over the glass doors, leather furniture, rug And she let them touch the stereo equipment. Why, just because you yourself have kids do others assume you do not mind if they make a food pig troth of your living space? If you have to feed your kids 24/7 please sit them at the table or maybe just pop a few dry cheerio's in their mouth.

o

marcolo- You are too much! Love the fear comment! I have something to add to your "list": no pocketbooks on the counter!

o

Promise not to brush against my walls. They�ve recently been redecorated up to and beyond British standards. Now, wipe your shoes. ... On second thought, you�d better remove them. You�ll be perfectly alright. You�ll be standing on Grade One Axminster.

o

2LittleFishies - ohno! the pocketbook/purse thing is my pet peeve. a relative does that and sets it next to the buffet. ugh.

Bee - did you have your housewarming yet? What did you decide to do?

o

niblickchick, are you a golfer? I couldn't resist asking when I saw the niblick in your name. I love to golf!! Wish I had more time to get out there.

o

oh, yes, Mrs. Bucket..

A very unruly neighbor boy used to live across the street. His parents seldom corrected his behavior. One day he was getting ready to jump from my front steps into my flowers below. I kept telling him I did NOT want him to do that. His mother said nothing. Finally I said "if you jump in my flowers I am going to break both your legs". His mother FINALLY spoke up and told him I didn't want him to do that.

o

VERY late to this party...but...

I thought we were supposed to call it "patina?" ;^)

Hope the plexiglass works. (No time to read entire thread.) If not...I kept my surgical site dry through many a shower with Glad Press 'n Seal (tm) that stuff is MAGIC.

melanie

o

Hi,I'm a frequent lurker but rarely post to this forum, but I need to add my two cents.
First, as a guest in someone's home it would never occur to me that I would need to use a coaster to put a drink down on the kitchen counters.
Second, as for having plexiglass cut and corners rounded, try a local glass company. Like the ones that fix windshields. We had plexiglass cut to fit the back of some dollhouses that we made, and it worked perfectly.
And lastly, I have a friend who is a quilter and she told me that the Amish quilters often put an imperfect piece in their quilts. They call it a humility square. A reminder that nothing is perfect. Maybe you could think of the etching as your humility square in your otherwise perfect kitchen.

o

I, too, am very late to this party... Haven't been on the site much since our reno wrapped up and life with 2 little ones took over.
My initial thoughts included a bad joke I once heard...

A man walks into his psychiatrist's office, naked, but completely Saran-wrapped... His doctor says, "I can clearly see you're nuts!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist. That was what came to mind when I read that you were thinking of Saran wrapping your SW!

Oh, Bee... So sorry to hear about the etches. I think that you'll learn to live with them and even embrace all the lovely imperfections with time. The kitchen is just too new at this stage to let it roll off your back. While I havent had any etches with my SW yet, there are small, light stains that I keep finding despite sealing! They arent noticeable except at certain angles in certain lighting. I'm not sure if it's from our hard water (yes, we have a water softener in plans) or from oils... But, partly due to the craziness of my everyday life, I've just moved on. I've always wanted a functional kitchen first, then an inviting kitchen second. Plus, I realize that I'll never be the sole person who uses the space (tho I've mentally given a crazy lecture to my babysitter about how to use and clean my new kitchen)...
I'm certain your kitchen and SW is gorgeous and that you'll be the only one who notices these "blemishes"! The plexiglass is a nice idea... Do share how it turns out if you go ahead with it!

o

OMG this thread is scary. I saw its inception but haven't looked for, oh, 12 minutes and look what happened: oh my, 130+ postings?

I just came on to chortle over dragonfly's joke.

Marcolo - I picture you as the guy in "Up". I continue to insist in my mind's eye that you are not as big a crank in real life as you make out here. I mean, if you were, you wouldn't be talking about it so freely. right?

...and don't answer that please. I know you'll just maintain you are and I will continue to believe otherwise. sorry.

o
Going European?

Bee, I'm sure you know this already, but some time back someone posted pictures of their etched countertops and pictures of really historic, "vintage" countertops. The contention was that old-time kitchens in Europe (Italy? I think there may have been some site-specificity claimed) had these sorts of marble countertops and they were all deeply etched and that was just fine; it was the way of things.

Any chance of just channeling your inner European and going with it? Just pretending - no, believing - that you intended for all this etching all along. Recast the party as your first full-tilt effort at moving the kitchen along in its development from infancy to full-fledged, mature, etched beauty?

Just wondering... sounds like there's no way this is gonna happen, but .... well, and if it comes to pass that you do really need to change out the countertops, then why not just let loose right now and see if, small chance though it may be, the etched gloriousness can be construed to work in your mind? If you do wind up changing them, then you've nothing to lose by letting loose on the throttle now. Bring out the high heels and red wine!

o

DH's family can never forget Aunt Jackie.......she had blue and green shag carpet, and EVERY time someone got up to get something, she got her leaf rake and raked out the footprints!!!

Cracks me up!!

At my house we give children espresso and a PONY!!

Nancy

o

I rented my home to students when I went abroad last year. I had just redone my countertops--soapstone--and was nervous about that, so I invested about $80. in clear plastic cutting boards and asked the girls to keep them on the counters at all times as they cooked, etc. They did--no scratches on the counter tops at all! Why not do this?

o

Update...as my September calendar is filling up, the date of the par-tay has probably been pushed out to October. Early October, we need to still be able to use the deck....

I think I will go forward with the plexiglass idea. I think it's a real winner. I will also try to make it that the other rooms are more appealing to be in (locate the liquor and food elsewhere) and therefore eliminate the possibility for any shenanigans on the island.

Plus, I do believe that one of the "activities" at the party will be having everyone help out to remove the rock fireplace that the builder royally screwed up during installation. (They get one more opportunity to remove it themselves when I submit my 90 day list). If the opportunity to swing a sledgehammer doesn't keep the guests out of the kitchen, then nothing will.

o

I don't know about that rock and sledge hammer activity. That sounds very dangerous, especially mixed with booze.

o

Not to mention high heels.

o

Haven't checked the forum in a few days. Got a real chuckle from
Marcolo's Hyacinth reference.

Thankfully, I've no Onslows among my relatives. Hoping none of
you do, either!

o

you do, either!

o

you do, either!

o

Sorry for the multiple posts. Not quite sure what happened there.

o

o

o

o

Glad you think it will work. :) Have a fun party!

o

LOL! Sorry I'm late, but this thread is hilarious :)

If you plan to live in your house...design it for living. If you entertain, design it for entertaining. If you live alone and never have anyone over, no kids, no pets, etc...then you can have a show home. But take lots of pictures, because it's the only way anyone will ever see it. Just my two cents.

o

To protect my marble, my husband bought me a few beautiful cutting boards. They look nice out and encourages my family and guests to place item on them and not the counters.

o

Bee - hang in there - BTW - flying in through Harrisburg at the end of the mont to visit DM

o

Bee - hang in there - BTW - flying in through Harrisburg at the end of the mont to visit DM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here