Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frmrsdghtr_gw

Super budget $6000 DIY Ikea kitchen

frmrsdghtr
9 years ago

Thanks to a couple of great ideas on here we have a lovely kitchen that did not break the bank. Obviously it is not high-end but neither is the house :). This was 100% diy. We are not super crazy about the quality of the ikea wood butcherblock counters. They are cheaply made and even though they were oiled extensively still cracked. I'm thinking this is why they are no longer available? Too many complaints. Also getting our entire ikea order was a 2 month process. It would certainly be frustrating if you were on a time crunch. Otherwise we are super happy with the function of the cabs and love how the space has been lightened up.

After - before staging and being lived in :)

Comments (48)

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Very nice, it looks great. Thanks for the heads up on the counters, was thinking of using them for my laundry room.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wow, it certainly looks lovely! I keep on scrolling between before and after. What a difference! It looks so much bigger and brighter.

Which butcherblocks are these?

• jrueter
    9 years ago

Wow! What a great transformation. It is a shame about the counters, because your kitchen looks amazing.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Absolutely awesome job! It looks GREAT!

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Looks great! Especially love the backsplash and built in hutch!

• brightm
    9 years ago

I keep scrolling back and forth too. It looks awesome. Did you move and recess the fridge? I love the backsplash and that the pendant ties in the counters, floors and trim on the appliances.

• chinchette
    9 years ago

Wow! Great transformation! You must be very happy!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

It's an amazing transformation. I love all your color choices. It looks like you spent way more than you actually did. When people come to GW for backsplash advice, they should be shown yours. Everything looks great together.

Too bad the butcher block isn't the quality you expected. Is it something you can live with or would you consider replacing it in the future?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Very, very nice! Love what you did with the frig, and enclosing the stairwell. Love the color of the floor too! The counters look nice; have you complained to Ikea about the cracking? They are warrantied, aren't they?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

what a difference. like a different planet. just one thing, the glass shade over the sink--the color looks so different from the rest of the space. is that because sunlight was hitting it? you have all "cool" shades with greyish tiles, steel, etc, and then the "warm" color of the shade is a bit of a different thing with all the "cool".

• bpath
    9 years ago

It is just lovely! I especially like the shallow counter by the stairs (since this seems to be a major entry point from the garage, it's a handy launch pad for lunches and notes as folks head out in the morning as well as a needed landing pad for the fridge and plating from the stove), the farmhouse sink and faucet, the paint that totally transformed the drab panelling and closet into farmhouse wainscot and vintage cabinet, the floor, and that backslash is to die for!

I hope the countertops are something you can keep, they add a cozy touch:)

Now THAT is using a budget well! Well done!

• ilovemytrees
    9 years ago

Your kitchen looks gorgeous! Wow!

I am so happy for you!

I never thought of Ikea for cabinets. We need to replace ours too, which is why I clicked on your post.

You did an amazing, AMAZING job!

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful. I would be quite proud of the work that has been done, because it shows quality workmanship. Like others, I have scrolled back and forth through the pictures. It's almost unbelievable that the pictures are showing the same room.

What color is your room painted? Also, did you do anything special to your paneling before you painted it and what type of paint did you use on it?

Enjoy the results of your hard work!

• frmrsdghtr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, we moved the fridge from beside the stove and recessed it inside an old closet. So much better this way! I suppose we could complain about the cracking - the cracks are deep in the corner of the counter and haven't gotten worse. They cracked about 1 month after installation. I will probably just live with them since I'd rather not deal with the hassle.
    Hoovb - I totally agree - I think I broke the cool/warm rule. But I love yellow. The end. :) Nothing else really spoke to me and it's my house, which means my rules :)

• ardcp
    9 years ago

that came out amazing! i can't believe it is the same house, very well done!

• Remko1234
    9 years ago

This is an amazing transformation! And a budget of $6000 impresses me even more:)

• teacats
    9 years ago

Looks fantastic!!!

Wonderful kitchen -- all of your hard work has certainly paid off -- just a fantastic transformation!! :)

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Will you explain a bit on your closet turned fridge recess?
    I have a back to back closet space, that currently holds the "entry" coat closet on the front and the pantry on the back. The sides are in my kitchen and living room. We would love to move the fridge to inside that space.

I am amazed and pleased at the look of your kitchen and it warms my budget and diy heart.
    What a wonderful example for those of us that want to go that route!

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I love how you kept the kitchen open to the stairwell but replaced the stairway railing with cabs and counter. The refurbished china cabinet looks so much better. I completely missed it in the before photos; it was so drab looking.

Very nicely done!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Wow, an absolutely great transformation! This gives me hope for a kitchen reno I need to do, but didn't think I could afford. Could you share some details, eg, floor, tile, etc.? Which ikea cabs? They don't look like the white ones I've seen in the past.

Wow!

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

Wow, what a huge difference! As others have said, it doesn't look like the same room. You must be really enjoying it!

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Wow, that is AMAZING the change, and the budget in which you got a beautiful, light & airy kitchen! What a terrific job. I remember when you first posted about your kitchen, seeing your pics. I had no idea what a drastic change would happen in that space. It totally transforms the entire feel of the space, from a dreary, dark, aged, dingy feeling, to a very cheerful mood. Thanks for showing us, and congrats on a job very well done! I think it's very important for folks who don't have $100K budgets to see projects like yours, just how powerful a change can still be had within the reach of folks with more modest budgets. I hope you enjoy it for years to come!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! So much lighter and brighter!

• amck2
    9 years ago

I love the transformation and, like others, can't believe you made such changes DIY keeping to a modest budget.

Would you share the color you used for paint over the wainscoting near your built-in cabinet. Thanks, and congrats!

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Congratulations on a job well done from a fellow IKEA DIYer! It's beautiful. I love the transformation and especially the wise use of space moving the fridge and range to give you more usable space. I think you made great choices. I love the pop of color the pendant brings and agree with cal_quail that it ties everything together. More details, please!

• lam702
    9 years ago

Wow! Very impressive, doesn't look like the same space at all! I especially love that backsplash. Such a bright, cheery kitchen! Great job!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

You really hit the jackpot with your makeover! I also had to scroll back and forth to convince myself it was the same space. Missed the china cabinet completely. You have a beautiful kitchen for way less $$$$ than a lot of people spend. Kudos!

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

It is obvious you took time planning the changes, and then you executed them so well! Such a dramatic difference. What a lovely workspace it is now. Yes, please give details. Could you also show a closer view of the backsplash, please?

• frmrsdghtr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The trim and wainscoting is BM Simply White and the wall color is (I think) BM Edgecomb Gray. I'm not sure if I will keep it that color long term but it is my go-to color anytime nothing else is jumping out at me. It's a fantastic greige - that can go warm or cool IMO. I attached a link for the backsplash. It was a bit painstaking to get them lined up well, but I love the product. Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash

• frmrsdghtr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS. Thanks for all the encouragement. I've been reading this forum long enough that I know there are a ton of other choices that would have made this kitchen amazing, but a budget is a budget and I stuck to it :).

• spanky_md
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love the marble (?) backsplash with the white cabs and wood counters. Lovely!

I have beech butcherblock counters from IKEA. I haven't noticed any splitting in mine yet but yeah, they aren't super high quality. Mine needed to be belt sanded to remove the uneveness of strips of wood that shrank at slightly uneven rates.

I would just fill the cracks with something if I were you. If they were around the sink it would be more worrisome but they're not, right? There are different kinds of wood filler available. You might be limited in what you can use since you oiled the wood and that will keep some types from adhering well.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I remember when you posted for help a while back. I can't believe it's the same kitchen. It looks great. I noticed the pendant right away (yellow and oranges are my favorite colors). The pendant goes well with the butcher block. I love your half wall with cabinets by the stairs. The recessed fridge really helped to open up the room and you must be enjoying the extra space at the stove. Very pretty backsplash! Did you refinish the built in hutch or replace the doors? Excellent job.

• navychic
    9 years ago

Love it! Does $6000 include appliances? Please let me know where you got appliances to stay on budget! Ikea?

• vdinli
    9 years ago

Oh my-such a lovely transformation at a fabulous price. Love the backsplash and the inset china cabinet. I bet you don't miss the old kitchen at all. Such a shame about the countertop-you should definetely check with IKEA about the warranty-especially, if you can show them pictures and that your cabinets were level. BTW, Edgecomb Gray and Simply White are my go to colors too! Enjoy your new space!

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

So light and bright and beautiful. Congratulations on your fabulous kitchen!!!!

• williamsem
    9 years ago

Wow, that looks wonderful! I remember when you were designing this too, and I think you took all the feedback and made your space much more functional. That's an amazing transformation, especially on that budget, and you do great work DIY. Congrats!

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Love the backsplash, floors, sink, pulls - it is all fabulous and still would be at many times the budget. Congratulations! I hope you enjoy many wonderful meals and moments.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Congratulations! It looks great. I too remember your most recent thread on this project -- you've really taken the budget and make it work spectacularly well.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Frmrsdghtr, The updated kitchen looks so bright and happy and amazing for only $6,000! You were able to keep to a budget and now have a kitchen that you love and are happy with that functions better also! Congratulations! I would talk to Ikea about the countertops in having them covered under their warranty.

This post was edited by lynn2006 on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 23:30

• nmjen
    9 years ago

Wow! What an amazing transformation--from dark, drab and scary, to light, bright and beautiful! Great work!

• threegraces
    9 years ago

Amazing job, especially on such a tight budget - which you would never know from looking at it. Congrats on a great remodel.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Oh my, oh my, oh my .... that's lovely. Very put together and elegant.

Good layout, great color selections, well-picked touch of "bling" in the backsplash.

• SaraKat
    9 years ago

Amazing transformation, what a difference! Gorgeous.

• Kristin2014
    9 years ago

That looks great! What kind of floors are those? I love the color.

• frmrsdghtr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are from Home Depot but I can't seem to find them online. Laminate with some texture - so far so good. I love the look and feel.

• Mick Mick
    9 years ago

I remember when you posted your before. I never would have guessed such a wonderful, light-filled after.

Enjoy!

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

Fantastic job with a small budget. It should give all those people who are dragging their heels and living with gross kitchens some inspiration to not suffer any more!! Just go to IKEA and improve your lives :)

P.S. I know I simplified this hugely, but it does seem like magic what you did!

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

What an amazing transformation!!! It is very impressive that you were able to do all that with your budget, especially since you added a lot of different structural elements! I'm sure you will enjoy getting to use your new kitchen :-)