Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcsfc

Kitchen layout - Is this okay?

Char
10 years ago

I am planning on remodeling our kitchen. I have been to KD numerous times. This is the current layout. Any opinions? Each square is 6".

Comments (5)

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

Can you zoom that in some? I find myself squinting trying to see the detail.

A 36" counter depth fridge doesn't provide much interior space. How many in your household?

What size oven are you getting? A 27" cabinet may not be wide enough. We fit a 30" double oven in a 30" cabinet in our last house, but had to trim the sides of the frame down to the width of the side panels. That removed a lot of structural support.

What type of corner base cabinet were you looking at? We have a Super Susan and are happy with it.

Is that filler space on either side of the sink and upper corner or are those pullouts?

A 21" trash cabinet seems on the big size. Our is an 18" dual 35qt pullout and that seems plenty big for our family.

For the tray cabinet, you might want to consider a pullout for that. We got one from Rev-a-Shelf and installed it ourselves. It makes access easier.

• tracie.erin
    10 years ago

Where do all the doorways go, and which ones have the most traffic? I might swap the oven and pantry if the right doorway has more traffic than the top one - less chance of

What is the purpose for the counter in the top left corner? Coffee station? Desk? It seems like it could invite a lot of clutter, but better there than in the rest of the kitchen, which is busier, I suppose. But do you really need 48" there? As some have pointed out a 36" CD fridge will not be good for a family household.. if you have a family, children will only grow. Therefore I might consider moving the pantry to the top left corner and making it at 24-30" with 24-18" of counter next to it as well as making the fridge 42-48".

• Char
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The 36" fridge is 23 cu ft. There are only 2 of us as we are empty nesters. I ordered a 27" wall oven so I cannot change that size. The bottom corner cabinet will have a lazy susan. I will have to ask about a super susan. I think they are stronger. The fluted lines are just fluting - not any pullouts. They are used to make the cabinets symmetrical around the hood and window. We like symmetry but my KD does not care. Function over form for her. The top left corner I am planning on using as phone/desktop area. Or better known as clutter area(hopefully drawers will hold most of that). Currently have a small island and that is usually full of hubby clutter. I hope to have him use that upper left area so my island will be clear.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

On the wall oven, you should check the install instructions. The manufacturer may recommend that it go into at least a 30" cabinet. This assumes that you are going with framed cabinets.

For our recent reno, we went with the super susan. In our first house, we really did not like the lazy susan. The pole was in the way of storing items and reduced the size of what you could put in there. Things would also fall from the upper level and jam up the works. Our super susan is much better fit for us. No pole and the each turntable sits on its own shelf.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting a zoomed in version of that drawing. Much easier to read now.

I do like that you are putting your cooktop over a 3 drawer cabinet. We did that for our kitchen and love it. The top drawer is for cooking utensils and the other two drawers are for pots, pans and other cookware. The drawer did need to be reduced in height to make sure there was clearance under the bottom of the cooktop and was reduced in depth to clear the gas regulator.