Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

thoughts on island depth?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi, everyone.

We are going to have a single wall with island setup in our new kitchen. The wall will have all the working things; refrigerator, sink, and range, left to right.

The island is mostly going to just going to be a large surface area with a small prep sink to one side and 5 stools on the nonworking side.

Right now, the island is drawn to be 10'6" long by 3' deep. As I imagine it, that seems kind of skinny to me. I feel like that's not much separation between me slicing and chopping and my kids on the stools. Also, for entertaining it might be nice to have a little more rom to spread out. There's plenty of floorspace to expand. Any thoughts?

thanks!

Comments (7)

• mdm144
    9 years ago

I agree that seems a little skinny. If the idea is that people would be able to sit on one side and you'd have room for prep on on the other, you might want to consider 48" if you have the room.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Kiwigem, I have a kitchen that is much like yours - on the wall side, it goes refrigerator-dw-sink-trash-cooktop-condiments. On the island side, the only appliance is the drawer microwave. The island is 119" long (just short of one full slab length of Ceasarstone, so no seams), and the top is 38" wide (covers 24" cabinets on the kitchen side and 12" cabinets on the dining room side, plus 1" overhang on both sides). We do have two stools tucked in under an overhang on the dining room side. I will say the island is a great size - plenty big - for prep work and baking (and spreading out!), and entertaining (perfect for a buffet), but since you want to have your kids/guests actually sitting there while you prep (I don't), I'd make it a little wider, maybe 46".

I may have taken pictures of the buffet at a party we had last week - I'm not sure I did, but I'll check over the weekend and post some if I did.

• Kooops
    9 years ago

My island is 42" deep- that was the max we could do so as not to impact the traffic flow behind the chairs. It is plenty wide for me to work at while people sit on the other side. If you could go wider it wouldn't hurt, 6 more inches would be nice but I don't find 42" confining.

This was some of my family (disguised in their super hero masks ;-) having BLTs for dinner. We have a dining area as well but almost always eat at the island now. I just get plates ready and push them over.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I do think we'll go 42-48. I guess we'll have to play with the proportion a little. At least this way I'll get to see more of my beautiful white macaubas slab (yeah!).

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like your black island! That's in the running for us, too. Can't decide!

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 16:55

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I agree, 36" may be to be cramped for both prep and eating.
    We have a two level counter with 24" on the lower work side, and 23" on the upper sitting/eating side.
    It's both comfortable and usable.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 17:58

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

We did 42" which was the widest we could do. I love it. Not to big, not to small.