Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swisscook

Do You Love Your D SHAPED Sink?

swisscook
12 years ago

Or do you NOT love it? We're about to decide. DH seems to prefer it; and oddly enough in both the Elkay Brand and the Franke Brand D shaped undermount is less $$.

Any other brands people like? I saw one on GW called NANTUCKET, but cannot find it anywhere around here...Thanks, friends.

Comments (22)

• friedajune
    12 years ago

I myself am not a fan of the D-shape. IMHO it is not as efficient a use of space as a rectangular shape. The curve of the "D" cuts into the interior space of the sink, versus a rectangle which does not. Your roasting pans and cookie sheets will be able to fit into a rectangular sink easily.

Buehl and I have disagreed on this topic for YEARS, LOL! She may chime in. I am willing to concede that if your D-shape sink is as large as hers, i.e. in a 36" base cabinet, the D-shape works well. But smaller than that, I prefer a rectangle.

• lawjedi
    12 years ago

I had a D sink at my old house - I liked it much, much better than my old-fashioned, shallow, too small double sink.

I don't know how it would compare to a large single. I do like the aesthetics of the D sink with the faucet to the side.

I remember the Nantucket sink you mentioned - copied it and put it in my folder for future reference. Not sure if I'll end up with a D sink again or not, but I did like the clean lines of the Nantucket a lot!

hth

Here is a link that might be useful: Nantucket Sink at CSN lighting

• friedajune
    12 years ago

BTW, you should check other brands than Franke and Elkay. Those two charge a premium for their names, but their sinks are not better than other less expensive sinks, and may be thinner gauge. Typically the Frankes are 18 gauge stainless steel. Do a search on this forum for Kraus sinks (16 gauge) and Ticor sinks (16 gauge). Much more bang for the buck. You could save hundreds of dollars.

• DreamItCanBe
    12 years ago

I LOVE my Kraus KUB - 10 D shaped sink. Check it out on-line, I got mine on the "O" store and it included the bottom grate, drain, and soap dispenser. I also got the Krauss pull down faucet in a bundle for a great price. It is 16 gauge and much nicer than the pricier brands I had seen at the local kitchen showcases for lots more money. I had a double sink, but love being to put any pans, commercial size cookie sheets, etc. flat into the sink. I looked at the rectangular sinks, but they were not as deep (front to back) and I am glad I made my choice. Good luck!

• katsmah
    12 years ago

I have an Elkay D-bowl sink and like it. Mine is a smaller model - ELUH2118 23 1/2 X 21, yet I've never had an issue fitting in any of my pots and pans. There is enough room around the back for faucet, water filter and soap dispenser, and with the rear drain I was able to get enough room under my sink for a pullout trash can. I purchased mine on Amazon last year for $225.

Here is a link that might be useful: elkay sink

• shannonplus2
    12 years ago

Swisscook - can you let us know more about the sinks you are considering - i.e. the size, whether they are 2-bowl or 1-bowl? Both of those factors play into this choice, and it is hard to advise you when we don't have that info. Have you chosen your faucet yet? If it's a bridge-style for example, you wouldn't want a D-shape. If you want a 2-bowl sink, then you want to place the faucet in the center. If that's so, then you'd likely not want a faucet with a single side-handle with a D-shape sink; the D-shaped sink may be too deep front-to-back to have much room for a side-handle faucet installed center, depends on your setup.

My personal preference is a rectangle. I just like the appearance more than the D, simple as that. I like having my faucet dead center; it's just not my taste to have a faucet on one side. Others prefer the faucet on the side, so you should decide which you like. Also, if you have both left-handed and right-handed people in your family, you may want a sink where the faucet can be placed in the center, rather than on the side.

• ww340
    12 years ago

I have had the Franke D for several years in second kitchen. I loved that I could wash my refrigerator drawers in the sink.

We ordered the ticor S405D (double with a D)for our new kitchen, as my husband does the dishes and prefers a double sink.

Katsmah - I really like your granite, could you tell me the name?

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Hi akchicago! Yes, we do disagree, but that's actually good...this way people get different opinions!

I will say that if it's too small, I agree it might be an issue, but if it's over 20" wide, I think it will be fine. I have a double-bowl and the large bowl is "D" shaped...it's 21.5" wide (same sink as WhiteRiverSooner) and all my cookie trays, pots & pans (plus handles), refrigerator shelves & bins (except the 36" wide deli bin), and Vent-A-Hood insert fit in that bowl.

One of the things I like about a "D" shape is that you can put the faucet (and SD, etc.) on the curved corner so it's not quite so far back. This is especially useful when the sink is in front of a window with a sill or on an island or peninsula with a raised counter behind it. In these situations, the window sill, counter edge, or even the backsplash of any sink facing a "wall", can often take away from the space available for the faucet and cause issues w/the faucet swiveling or the handles moving freely w/o hitting the obstruction (sill, counter edge, etc.) behind the sink.

• katsmah
    12 years ago

Thank you WhiteRiverSooner. The name on the granite was Caramelo. It was the only slab they had of this color and I had never seen another one with that name. It is somewhat similar to Golden Persia.

• ww340
    12 years ago

It is a very pretty granite katsmah.

Buehl, I got that sink after reading posts where you recommended it. It is not installed yet, but it is here and looks nice. I love that it comes with the racks for the bottom. I also ordered the cutting board.

• chrisk327
    12 years ago

to weigh in, I had a D shaped sink in my last house. for what I was doing and for the size of the kitchen I did like it a lot.

couple of comments regarding D vs Rectangular. you may lose slightly on the curve of the D. however, D shaped sinks go back further than rectangular. I did like that my faucet was offcenter.

it really depends on what you're comparing to also. in my new house in my new kitchen, I didn't get a D sink. I got a Franke Orca as I could fit one and the 34" sink cabinet.

the D sink I had was in a 24 inch cabinet. If you are in the 24-27 inch size I think it is definately worth considering. If you're in the 33-36 inch cabinet and its not some abnormally large D you are considering I think rectangular is better. Or get the best of both and get an Orca!

a lot of people say that guage is all that matters in a sink. I don't know if it is true. I was happy with my D shaped nobrand sink. I am happier with my Franke. it seems to have a nicer finish and the 18 vs 16 guage I don't think is a big deal. for whatever its worth, the Franke drain seems to work correctly, unlike the no name brand. Also, the Franke grates, although you do have to pay for them, are significantly beefier and nicer feeling than the no-name.

I'm not saying that Ticor isn't a good bang for your buck, it sounds like it is... I guess all I'm saying is I like my Franke, and it really feels/seems nice. I paid for a little fit and finish, and for the propriatary design.

• steff_1
    12 years ago

If you use cookie sheets or sheet pans, it's a problem to get them in the sink and rinsed. I had a D-shape and water really splashed out all over the counter when you try to rinse or wash something large and flat.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

How big was your sink Steff_1? I'm asking b/c I don't seem to have that problem.

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

I love my KWC "Geneva" undermount D shaped sink that is 8" deep. (18 gauge) It is in the far corner of a very small galley kitchen in an island cottage. The D shape allowed for the faucet to be in the left hand corner and the spray head in the right. Due to the limited space we have just sent for the cutting board insert. It is a great sink.

Good luck with your choice!

• steff_1
    12 years ago

Buehl - It's been about 6 years since I moved from the house with the D-bowl sink, but I think it was about 24" wide inside across the front and 16" or so front to back. A cookie sheet would fit in the the wide front area but I couldn't tip it over or place fully in the sink because of the curve. When the water hit the flat surface, it would often splash out. If you have the larger, elongated version where a large pan will sit flat it should work better.

• sophie123
    12 years ago

I have a ticor 405 d shaped sink and a grohe ladylux3 faucet. Love everything about it except that the faucet doesn't position over the sink hole - it is an inch or so short. Maybe i bought the wrong faucet? I might try and fix that if i can. Anyone else have this problem? I twist the faucet head so that it positions over the hole but its still not great.

• studioren
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of choosing a d shaped sink. My cabinet will be a 36 inch corner base. I was advised to get a 21 x 17 single basin sink but can't seem to locate any online. Anyone have this size sink?

• Buehl
    12 years ago

I think this one will fit in a 36" corner sink base...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ticor S405 Undermount Stainless Steel Single Bowl Kitchen Sink

• alwaysfixin
    12 years ago

Buehl, Studioren said a corner cabinet, so the S405 won't fit. However, I do not see why she has to go as small as 21". We fit the 30"-wide (exterior dimension) Blanco Diamondprecis silgranit sinto into our corner location. We did notch the sides of the cabinet to get it to fit. BTW, love my sink and love the corner location! But I'm in the "rectangular sink camp" and Studioren asked about a D-shape sink in a corner, but I think her question centers more about the corner factor. Really, I think 21" is too small. I suggest that Studioren post a new thread, entitled something like "What is the biggest sink to fit in a 36" CORNER cabinet?", rather than tack onto this thread which is solely about pros and cons of D-shape sinks.

• syzygy
    12 years ago

We had to have a small sink due to the small U-shaped kitchen, and we did like the D-shape, but the radius of the curves were too large for a small sink (in our opinion).

I think both Kindred & Franke had a near-'zero radius' style, but in a composite material, and we preferred stainless.

I found the Nantucket D-shaped sink NS03-Pro-16, which was near-zero-radius, heavy 16 gauge 304SS, and we think it looked much better than the typical large-radius D.

I was a little concerned about how it would hold up, and quality, etc., but it's been a year and it still looks great.
    I'd do it again in a minute - and it was pretty reasonably priced.

http://www.nantucketsinksusa.com/DetailView.aspx?product=32

Here is a link that might be useful: Nantucket NS03-Pro-16

• dsglobal
    8 years ago

I read that if you have a bridge faucet you should use a dsink? I would like to know why not, as I am using one. I have two sinks, one in the corner, 36" and one further down. Should I match both or can I use one like this and one regular?