Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

2 Foot Deep Island with Seating

aries61
11 years ago

Someone suggested for me to have a 2'deep island with seating. It would consist of a 12" deep cabinet with a 12" overhang. Does anyone have any pictures ? or Seen something like this? or Have one?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• biochem101
    11 years ago

How long will the island be?

Could you put a full width 24" cabinet at either end and have it open underneath in the middle?

• User
    11 years ago

It would HAVE to be securely fastened to the floor and the counter secured to the cabinet as well because it would be tip happy. And 12" isn't really enough overhang for counter height seating. 15" is the minimum if you want adults to be comfortable and not have to sit sideways. Don't forget about the larger aisle width you will need with island seating. If you want to pass behind someone seated, you need 60" to do so comfortably. If you don't mind turning sideways and scootching by, then 48" can work as long as it's not a pathway through the home.

• babs711
    11 years ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We have 12" overhang and we (and all of our guests) are totally comfortable at both sides of our large island. We have five chairs there. My DH is 6'0" and I'm 5'5". 12" is completely fine for most people. I hear people say it's not enough a lot on here but we've never run into anyone at either house we've had this in (our old house had this too) look strangely uncomfortable or say a word about it. It wasn't even something I thought about at all until I came here. I just had to get that out there.

Having said that, I don't think I would put seating at a 2' island. It seems narrow. I agree with hollysprings on all other counts!

• aries61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

biochem101 .. It would probably be around 66" long.

Hollysprings and Babs711 ... It's only one of many options that I have received from various indivuduals. Just looking at all my options.

No one has come up with a perfect layout. Probably will end up with a combination of them. Attached is a blank layout of the kitchen if anyone is interested in recommending the perfect layout. The sink and range have to stay in the general location of where they are. The sink can't be moved because where I'm at, plumbing relocation is high since I have to use cast iron and copper. PVC can't be used for plumbing.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Aries--the layout experts around here are sure to be of help to you. To call the most attention to your need for layout help, you might want to start a new thread with a new title. Good luck!

• positano
    11 years ago

I have a 2 1/2 deep island by 5 feet. With a 12 inch overhang. I feel the overhang is fine and never had a problem with not enough space. Our trash and recycling is on the short end(18 inch ) and then we have a 24inch cab on the long end.

From Holiday 2011
    From Positano's Finished Kitchen

• aries61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

breezygirl - Thanks for the advice. I will try that later today.