Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mghnb

soapstone countertops- backsplash

mghnb
9 years ago

We are going with soapstone for our countertops in our 1931 kitchen. Does anyone have any feedback on a 4" soapstone backsplash? The countertop company says that it's currently trendy to go without the 4" backsplash and take the tile backsplash all the way to the countertop but that the extra soapstone is better protection against damage. Anyone with experience in this? Thanks!!

Comments (16)

• remodelfla
    9 years ago

We have glass tile that goes right down to the counter. Basically, we preferred the look and after almost 4 years of use there has been no issues of damage and it's super easy to keep clean.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

A 4" high backsplash in the kitchen is a dated look.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I wouldn't say its dated, you just can't put a tile backsplash on top of it (just personal taste though, to me it looks like an afterthought).

Either backsplash made of soapstone, or just a backsplash of tile but not both.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I think taller soapstone backsplashes are really stunning in old farm-style kitchens. And if you're married to tile, maybe you could do something like this?

{{!gwi}}

What kind of damage do you think will happen to the back edge of your soapstone? I'd be more worried about the front edge....

• texaspenny
    9 years ago

We took the easy route and used the soapstone entirely as our backsplash! We used a sheet of stainless steel behind the range.

But I do agree....4 inches of soapstone and then tile would look dated. But, if you like it, go for it. It's YOUR kitchen. In 10 years the look will probably be in again.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Isn't the 4" backsplash is back in style? It's a very clean look if you just have paint above it.

• fivefootzero
    9 years ago

We decided with marble subway tile. I like the look better than the 4" backsplash. What exactly needs "protecting"? A kitchen is used and surfaces should be cleaned, but you're not weilding chainsaws and slinging tomato sauce around I imagine. Almost any else can be cleaned.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I put a 1.5" soapstone splash and then the other backsplash material sat on that so I didn't have a joint and change of material at the same spot: My backsplash was back-painted glass and any water would have started working on the paint.

• arch123
    9 years ago

I would not use both 4" backsplash and tile - looks weird and what is the point. We are planning a kitchen remodel with soapstone counters and plan on 4" backsplash - we want to have a kitchen faucet coming out the wall behind the sink so the soapstone will be 10" maybe a little more behind the sink to allow for the faucet, but the rest would be 4".

• ablab38
    9 years ago

We put in soapstone countertops with the 4" back splash and no tile. The veining in the soapstone is so interesting I didn't want to detract from it with tile. It would be too busy. 10 months later I still love it, it looks so clean with just paint.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

ctycdm - I like how the veins all line up. nice!

• quadesl
    9 years ago

We went with the soapstone backsplash. We had the tile backsplash prior to the new counters and wanted to keep it. The soapstone backsplash is especially nice around the sink. Just tonight I overflowed my water cup and the backsplash kept the water contained.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Quadesl That's a beautiful example of how the combination can look great and be practical too...very nice!

This post was edited by ctycdm on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 21:13

• Mags438
    9 years ago

All soapstone is beautiful and it shows how versatile it can be.

• mommytoc
    9 years ago

I'm using a soapstone "look-a-like", aqua grantique, and will have a 2" aqua grantique backsplash, with tile behind my rangetop. (Otherwise, I'll just have a painted backsplash.)

I chose the short backsplash to keep my window trim (counter-height windows) off the counter, and would have used it even with an otherwise fully tiled backsplash.
    Dated, maybe, but functional IMO.

• Ivan I
    9 years ago

My favorite backsplash with soapstone I've ever seen is that one with an arabesque-ish shape in the color of the veining (grey-ish) but with the little pieces of soapstone-green-black colored circles. It's very low-contrast although that description doesn't sound it...

I've seen it done on HGTV a couple times with soapstone and it was gorgeous.