Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbitsy_gw

Need white subway tile recommendations

msbitsy
13 years ago

I know this topic has been posted several times and I've researched the archives but still can't come up with a good option.

I'm looking for a wavy finish, gloss white subway tile. I've ordered a sample from Ann Sacks' Capriccio line. I looked at Sonoma Tilemakers and they don't have what I want.

Any suggestions and pricing would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (7)

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Not sure what you mean by wavy finish but it sounds like you don't want the very crisp Daltile or American Olean. Now that mine is up, I just told someone recently that I'm not sure the difference was that great and if I had to do it over again, that would be one place I could trim some cost. BUT, I also didn't have a lot of splash and the cost wasn't that great which is why I didn't. ;-)

Mine is Crossville Savoy. It is a white gloss with a handmade look and is slightly thicker than the standard tiles. The surface is not perfectly flat and that slight ripple, the irregular reflection of light off of it and the thicker tile are why I chose it. I am very happy with it and it gets good comments, so don't get me wrong. I am not unhappy with it, and I don't think it was a waste. In fact, I think it is a good balance between the $2 sq ft from the big box store and the $30+ sq ft other folks were looking at. I don't remember now, but I am thinking that it listed at something like $13-15 sq ft at the time and my cost (fabricator passed on the discount) was in the $9-11 sq ft range.

If you enlarge the top photo in the link, it is in the top half of the shower, the tub surround and behind the sink. That bath has too many things going on, so keep in mind that it is a display and just focus on the subways.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crossville Savoy

• ginad
    13 years ago

I really like these too. They have a great texture and shine. What is your counter top? I am considering black asolute polished granite. Do you think it will be too much shine and reflective light?

• msbitsy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lasctx -- you described what I'm looking for much better than I did!

• lascatx
    13 years ago

The counter I have in front of the tile is honed white marble. One of the reasons I went for gloss plus a polished chrome faucet is that I did want light reflection. Those are the sparkle factor in my kitchen, and the handmade look goes with the older, comfirtable feeling I wanted from the marble.

My island is brushed (antique) Cambrian black. I think I would like that in front of the tile more than the polished black granite, but I don't really like the shiny black. I prefer a softer look on the counters and the light to reflect off the splash. It's a brighter, lighter feel for me.

• lilydixie
    13 years ago

We used this 2x6 subway from Tileshop.com The edges are fairly straight but the surface has that "wavy" finish that gives it a hand made look. I LOVE it!!! Price was about $8.00 SF with free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Shop 2x6 Subway

• kelbie
    13 years ago

i had been looking at a Horus Art subway tile that was glossy and had some "wave" to it - I found it at a tile wholesaler in NJ for $7.95 a sq ft which seemed good compared to other places for it.