Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Extended warranty?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

We bought new appliances when we built the house in 2007. Delivered Sept 11 2007. Bought extended warranty when originals ran out - paid about $1000 for warranty on roughly $3000 worth of kitchen appliances (Kenmore Elite smoothtop range, K. Elite/LG French door fridge, Bosch DW) and added our old (1996) Kenmore W/D.

Sears called yesterday and said warranty was expiring today (!), I guess when we combined them (we already had warranty on W/D), they changed the date. They want $1000 for 2 yrs on all 5 and $700-something (lost call while looking for pen) for just the 3 newer appliances. I have had a couple of service calls for the icemaker, and 1 for indicator light for burner on stove, plus 1 on washer.

Does it make sense to keep the warranty on the kitchen appliances? What about paying extra $200-something for the W/D since it is replacement coverage (if they can't fix it, which may happen if parts become obsolete on these old machines) to extend 2 yrs until they are 20 years old and DS goes away to college, when I may replace them with something else? The kitchen appliances will be 9 years old then too.

Thanks - posting here rather than Appliance forum since I "know" people here.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 15:46

Comments (3)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals