Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Letting go of lights in the glass cabinets. *sigh*

Posted by beekeeperswife (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 9:24

My "dream" was to have lit glass front cabinets. We bought the led tape lights to do under the cabinets and inside. However, with the glass ends, you can see the tape strip from the eating area. And they are obnoxious to look at. They are all wired so that they are all on or all off (with a dimmer). We didn't do the insides on a separate switch since we didn't think we would want that. These lights are bright when all the way up, so when using the counters for prepping I don't want to be blinded by the lights inside the cabinet. I think I will regret putting them in there.

Adding more wire to have 2 switches is not an option. We will still do the lights inside the butler's pantry, over by the dining room.

I think that with the cabinets painted white, and having light colored or clear things in them, they look ok.

Anybody else have glass cabinets and chose not to light them? Will it be ok?

Here are the kitchen cabinets with the glass.

Photobucket

Photobucket

view from the eating area of the cabinet, there is still a string of the lights propped up in there, but imagine seeing the lights aiming towards the back of the cabinets.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Letting go of lights in the glass cabinets. *sigh*

Can you show us what they look like on?

o

Hi Bee,

So glad you started this thread. I think there was a similar discussion somewhere and if I come across it I'll let you know.

I Also wanted to do lights in glass uppers but am not. Not for your reasons but for budget ones. To do the LED in 2 upper glass cabs that surround hood was $800 on a dimmer and the glass cabinets over bar was another $400. I'm good at justifying but just couldn't. We ARE doing LED UCL and also lights in the stacked uppers around whole kitchen.

Anyway, I'm also thinking that with the white interiors they will be fine. Being we don't have sheetrock up yet I keep wondering if I should change my mind and put the lights in, but a line has to be drawn somewhere?!? (I'm really horrible at that).

o

Bee, Check out Phantom Lighting.
I'm attaching a link below.
HTH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phantom Lighting

o

Bee - We installed the Haefele LED "tape" for the glass cabinets and undercabinet lighting. The tape is on the face frame of the glass cabinets and not visible. Our cabinets are on a straight wall encased by solid wood cabs. Where is the tape in our glass cabs?

So far, I love playing with the dimmers. They are so small and I know people will have a hard time finding them. But I LOVE them!

o

thanks 2littlefishies for the positive reinforcement.

bellsmom, can't turn them on, currently not all are hooked up and there is this balance the load thing for the transformer, or else you blow out the expensive transformer. But suffice it to say, there a a lot of little tiny bright bulbs on that strand of lights. They look like a runway! And I can just imagine the migraines!

The good news is that if we don't use them, we don't need the 2nd transformer. We can return that, the 200" of lights, and a bunch of connectors.

o

2LittleFishes - Our Haefele lights cost approximately $500 for (2) 16' rolls of tape, (2) transformers and (2) dimmer switches.

o

Bummer. I'm disappointed for you Bee. Your cabs looked so pretty and sparky with the lights on. But, I know from when I had lighted cabs that I really only turned them on when we had company. They weren't something I used on a daily basis so I wouldn't have missed them all that much. So unless someone comes up with a good fix or alternative for you, then at least I hope they aren't really anything you will miss frequently. And, as you say, they are light already with the paint and shelves, not to mention the items you have in them.

o

I'll have my dh look at that link willtv, but I'm not sure if we can do another brand along with these.

motherof3, the tape would go along the front faceframe and it can't be seen from the front, however, with the glass side panels, you can see the lights.

If only I had done separate switches for the ucl and the in cab lights, then I'm sure it would have been fine. But they are all wired together.

o

Oh. Sorry, I missed the part where the ucl and cabs were wired together. And that can't be undone? I guess not, you say it's not an option. Rats. :(

o

We will have cabs that are glass on 2 sides. We decided to put puck LEDs in the top and use glass shelves to avoid the problem you are having. Ours are not built yet; but, thanks to you and other GWers, they will be Dutchwood. I'm sorry your lights aren't working out as you hoped.

o

I'm in the minority here probably, but I didn't want lights in my glass-front cabs. It does look pretty and sparkly, but somehow more like a jewelry store than a home IMO. My cabs do look dark, but yours with the beautiful glass sides look so lovely.

o

"I think that with the cabinets painted white, and having light colored or clear things in them, they look ok."

No, they look freakin' gorgeous! But here's an idea if it's just the top of the cabinet that's bothering you from the sides. You could consider having some stained glass panels made just for the top side panels. I don't know what your favorite accent colors are, but I was keeping with the bee theme a bit here. :) Just a thought in case it helps you keep your lights without the glare. (To see if the obscured / stained glass would help, try taping up some tissue paper outside the cabinet and turning on the lights.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I don't think I'd like lights in those cabinets. I didn't realize you were planning on them.

To me lights signal that the contents are purely decorative. That's OK as an accent or in a dining space. But even though your dishes and whatnot are light and attractive, these are still things that you want to use every day, and it might be odd to light them.

o

sherriode, I didn't do the glass shelves due to the weight of what I wanted to keep in them. Jason said he could do a wood frame with the glass in the middle. But I just decided to do wood.

chicagoans, thanks for the mock up! But the lights are actually designed to run up the face frame from the bottom to the top, aiming towards the back.

Thank you all, I think I can happily let go of the lights inside the cabinet. I think if they were dark inside I would be very unhappy, but I do think they look just fine w/o the lights. And we are going to do the gunpowder colored butler's pantry. That's where the silver pieces are.

: )

o

Bee, I'm glad you're feeling better about giving up something you really like. Just in case it helps that along, I'm with Fouramblues and Marcolo's minority in preferring your cabinets without.

o

Can you put a mirror in the back of the cabinet to bounce the light in the room into (and back out of) the cabinet?

These little "nice" lights are often problematic (and expensive!) And honestly, most people don't have them for that very reason. This group probably isn't a good "typical" sample.

o

I would give it up and move on too if you can see the strips. I like the look without. I only have one glass cabinet and chose not to put lights in it as well. Happily move on to that butler's pantry!

o

I have a display cabinet in my dining room. I never use the light inside. It has a mirror on the back and that catches enough light from the room. You won't miss the lights.

o

I was in your house and I found that there was plenty of light to see what was in the cabinets in the daytime. I realize that night time is a different story but I think you will be fine without the LED lights.

Now, that butler's pantry cabinet is going to be stunning when lit up. That is located in a darker little nook and could use the extra little sparkle.

o

bee, we don't have lights in our glass cabs either. It was an oversight on our part when the electrician was there - we just forgot to have them wired. We definitely don't miss having them at all. It looks like your recessed cans over the cabs illuminate your glass cabs.

Your kitchen is looking gorgeous - loving the new nailhead barstool!

o

Even so, I think Chicagoans stained glass is really gorgeous... in B's K that is!

o

It looks fantastic! I think since you have the sides glassed there is already a nice amount of light and you won't need the lighting. (The dishes just don't seem stuck back in a box like with normal cabs)

o

I think you will be fine without the lighting. With the glass sides, I like the cabinets lit by sunlight. Interior lights seem more appropriate for a china hutch, IMHO. Even then, the lights in my china cabinet are only turned on a few times a year.

o

I'm not a fan of lighted kitchen cabinets. For some reason I just think it's overkill....probably because you wouldn't see them in a vintage home.

Here's a couple photos of our non-lighted, sort of organized (but not really) cabinets. We're waiting for a couple missing parts before we can fully load the kitchen. The tall cabinet just has stuff "tossed" in there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Ours are lighted but we only have two and yes, they hold only glasses and lighter items due to the glass shelves. Plus the light shows the streaks in the plain glass in the upper portion no matter what I clean it with so it's really annoying. I have it so it's fine but also could easily let it go. Don't think you are missing anything here:)

o

Bee,
Bummer but maybe downstream there will be new technology that will work for you in that gorgeous kitchen.

o

Could you try a tiny light rail? Make one up out of cardboard - maybe an inch high and do blue tape to see if it helps with the direct light issue.

If it does, possibly you could get dutchwood to make a matching small molding of some sort?

o

We went with puck lights in our glass front cabs....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here