Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glitter_and_guns

Are there "rules" about using counter material as backsplash?

glitter_and_guns
9 years ago

I am working up to a kitchen something - remodel or refresh. Whichever way I go, the counters are going. Right now the back splash is just a few inches of counter up the wall (no tile). I am thinking that I want to carry the counter material up the wall to the bottom of the uppers but it is obvious that tile (subway in particular) rules. Are there rules for when it is "ok" to run the counter top material up the wall? Good chance I will break the rule, but I at least wonder what it is.

Any reason not to do it other than the aesthetic not being the current look? Here are a couple of samples. These are not exactly where I would be going, but I saw these early on in my looking and the idea stuck with me.

Comments (12)

• glitter_and_guns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more pic.

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

This link nosoccermom provided may be useful [Future of Backsplashes[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/the-future-of-backsplashes-stsetivw-vs~29887594)

I would say the less busy the material, the better it looks. I love the seamless look of a common material though...

This post was edited by gemcap on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 10:28

• glitter_and_guns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh goodness gemcap! Thank you so very much! I hadn't seen that link before. I am just going to go drool for a while now.

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

It was posted by nosoccermom in a reply to a post of mine on a similar matter (same floor and backsplash) so all credit and thanks to her :-)

• glitter_and_guns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to her too! I had searched here before I asked trying to see if it had been discussed, but I must not have included enough to get your floor/back splash post.

My kitchen is somewhat visible from the main living area and I don't really want to introduce another element into the space. Trying to treat it all as one big space - makes for a challenge.

• alizarge
    9 years ago

We ran the same soapstone counter material right up to the window as a backsplash. We love it - the look, the feel, and the fact that there are no grout lines to collect dirt.

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

G&G - you could get inspired (or not) with these
    Pictures of granite countertops as backsplashes

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

Our kitchen is on the google search gemcap linked, but it's a picture before we received the switchplates fabricated from the counter material (azul do mar quartzite).

We also used the stone for the window sill and a shelf outside the pass through window.

and when we redid the family room end of the room later, the fireplace surround:

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

The only rules are that it fits into your budget! To have that smooth, clean look is on my wishlist, but probably something that will not realistically make the cut in our future remodel. The look will probably become more popular and common within the next ten years, I think. I agree with the other posters about watching out for too much busy color. But other than that concern, beautiful examples above.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I don't think there are rules really, but trends and regional variations.

I think the oldest style was probably matching: wood to wood, tile to tile, laminate to laminate, (linoleum to linoleum, etc.)

The four-inch backsplash was the most common in a lot of areas (and is still not uncommon, really) through the second half of the 20th century.

I think because we are a couple decades into the subway tile resurgence that there is going to be a shift away from subway a bit (except in kitchen styles where it makes the most sense. And there may be a shift away from more complex ornamental backsplashes with multiple tile sizes (except in the most formal-traditional kitchens)

I think that matching to the countertop can be very formal or contemporary. Large format tile or sheet glass tends to be contemporary.

If you look at English kitchens there often seems to be no backsplash or an extremely short backsplash matching the countertop material--even in the most formal, traditional or upscale kitchen.

• lala girl
    9 years ago

hi - we did this in our kitchen. We have a smaller space and worked to keep the number of different finishes to a minimum to keep the space "quiet" (plus I kept seeing so many posts about backsplash tile selection quandaries, and I really wanted to avoid all that). We've loved it - HTH

• glitter_and_guns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gemcap - thank you for the link - I see what you mean about some granites seeming more suited to the job than others. Thanks for the link - I am not sure I would have been as careful as I should have if I hadn't seem that.

Cloud_swift - thank you for your pictures. I love how your counters echo the shades in your pool. It looks so very pulled together. I also like how you brought the stone into your living side of the space. I do have a fireplace that will need something - right now it is large and brick. Maybe I can think about getting some of my stone over here. I guess it depends on what I pick how we could use it for that. I really appreciate you taking time to share this. (and I love the soap stone).

LaurainLincoln- I really like your kitchen. I don't see me doing white this time because of my general furniture style and the space being open, but your white could almost convince me to give it a whirl. I do see that a more subtle shade has made the space seem bigger and more pulled together. I will be thinking of that while I am shopping for stone. I also really like the glass shelf in your cabinets. I have a set of glass cabinets that I am trying to figure out how to address. I am going to be marking it.

Thank you all so very much. I do think Palimpsest, you hit the nail on the head - so many groutless options are very contemporary. My decorating style doesn't fall in line with that and since it is an open space, I have to be really careful about picking the right material. It is strange - I am not a contemporary furniture/decorator type, but I could totally love a very contemporary kitchen... strange, huh?

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville