Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Damaged drywall after tile removal

Posted by mychellie (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 9:11

Sorry I posted in the wrong place. Not sure how to remove this post.

I removed the backsplash in my bathroom. After removing all the old tile adhesive, the drywall is now down to the brown paper and there are a few places where the gypsum is exposed. I plan on adding a new backsplash.

From what I've read, I think the best option is to seal the drywall with Gardz and then patch the holes and skim coat before applying the new tile. Is this correct? Or do I patch the exposed gypsum, then apply Gardz and then skim coat to a smooth finish before applying the tile?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Michelle

This post was edited by mychellie on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 12:35

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Damaged drywall after tile removal

I guess it depends how much damage is done, hubby was way too aggressive taking off old tile. We had to have a drywall guy come in and install new drywall, and the seam tape had to be covered before tile man would do work. Some tile men do the repair of dry wall, but it sounds like you are doing the tile yourself? If you only have a few small holes, your solution sounds good to me.

o

I'd install 1/4" backerboard over what you have and put the tile on that.

o

Thanks for the responses. I mistakenly posted this in the kitchen section but this is actually for my bathroom backsplash over the sink. Is there an issue with moisture if I just put the backerboard over the drywall as it is? I added a picture to the original post.

o

Just rip off the drywall and replace it with more drywall. Unless it's in a wet area, you don't need backerboard. Backsplashes are not considered wet areas.

o

The only reason why I would use backer board is so the wall doesn't get torn up as much next time the backsplash changes. Neither are waterproof and the area isn't wet enough for it to be a big deal anyway.

o

I thought of removing the drywall. I'm just not very confident in my skills, as I've never done that. Thought it would be much easier with the sealant.

This is another issue I have in the same area where the drywall came off around the electrical outlet. I was hoping to get away with just patching it.

o

"Or do I patch the exposed gypsum, then apply Gardz and then skim coat to a smooth finish before applying the tile? "

No ... because the skim coating of drywall mud is N OT a structurally sound material. It will soften from the moisture in the tile adhesive and you will have a MESS.

The easiest way is to apply tile backer board, then tile.

o

Maybe there are too many different products out there. lol. I was thinking of a skim coat with thinset which I think is different than drywall mud.

The problem with the backer board is I think it will add too much thickness.

Maybe I'll just replace the drywall. Ahhh, so confused now.

o

Replacing the drywall with so little damage is overkill. Mud it to flush, tile and grout, and forget it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here