Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alvareid

Kitchen cabinets

Alva Reid
10 years ago

We have signed a contract with a design build firm to remodel our kitchen. However, I have a major problem -they only contract with Wood Mode. The proposal quoted a cabinet price of approx. 40,000 for the Brookhaven line. So far, in this price range, there are very limited choices. The actual project has not officially begun. I am unable to accept such few choices and can't afford to upgrade to Wood Mode only. Any advice?

Comments (11)

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

There's nothing "limited" about Brookhaven or Woodmode. It's a fine choice. I don't understand your hesitation. Especially since it seemed good enough for you to sign a contract with the firm. You've committed to this now. In writing. Any changes will need to also be in writing and will have a fee associated with them.

I'm sure that any good contractor will allow you to use any cabinet line that meets his quality standards. However, if he is familiar with Brookhaven, and you switch, he will need extra time to familiarize himself with the new line, and to research whether or not they meet his standards. Time is money. And that is why change orders have a fee associated with them above and beyond the cost of the materials and labor themselves being different.

What are your concerns with using Brookhaven? I just don't understand that one at all.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

What is it you are looking for that they do not offer? Like Holly I'm a bit surprised- I sold them at my last job.
    Why sign with an outfit that doesn't offer what you want? I would guess this is a major remodel/addition and that factors in? That price in BH suggests a fair size or a lot of detail for the kitchen.

• Alva Reid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the questions and input. I should have insisted that I would be happy with the two different door styles that were specified in the contract. I assumed that for that price, there would be more choices of cabinets. I also didn't know that Brookhaven is semi-custom. I now have a change of heart and believe that the price is too expensive for this cabinet line.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

How large is your kitchen space? Do you have a diagram? What is your overall budget? Sounds like around a 80-100K overall budget would be appropriate given the cabinet cost. SubZero, Wolf and other pro grade appliances territory.

Remodels are expensive, no doubt, and that can lead to some self doubt as to whether or not it's "worth" doing. Take some deep breaths. Post your layout and your list of wants, and the appliance list that you are using, and we can tell you if you are getting appropriate pricing for your want list.

• Alva Reid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our kitchen is approx. 13x12, but will be expanded to approx. 18x13. It is an old house, 100 yrs. There is also a galley style butler pantry. The new layout has an island = 5.5 feet. The appliances are not included in the overall kitchen proposal, but we have chosen blue star 48 in. Range, 42 in. Kitchenaid frig, etc. Further, we are paying the subcontractors separately. According to contract, we owe the GC 104,000 for cabinets and installation, framing and drywall. You nailed it - definitely serious doubts at this point.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I have Brookhaven
    The finish is excellent.
    I might have gone with plywood boxes instead of the standard boxes - I had a problem with too much weight in the mega drawer but working on the issue.
    Here is a composite picture of our kitchen. BH offers a lot of options.

I might have considered a private cabinet builder as another option if I had the time and $$
    I have friends who have BH for 10 years and it still looks new.
    Remember - despite all good intentions - the final price will be higher. For us, plumbing and sparky added up plus the changes we made to the plans along the way (nothing major)

• Alva Reid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your kitchen looks very beautiful. Which Brookhaven cabinets? Can you share a price range for cabinets and install? Thanks for sharing the picture.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Jblanc
    Thank you.
    Please email me and I can look up my prices to share- it might not be until this weekend. I will also look up which BH cabinets we used.
    Decisions are tough but hang in there.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

You legally (in the U.S.) have 3 days to back out of a contract. I suggest you jump on it.
    You're not happy with anything you've mentioned yet.
    Paying subs seperately? What's the point of a design/build firm (or a GC) if you're handling that?

Get out.
    Do your research before you sign something. This sounds extremely un-thought-out. I want to ask you what you were thinking? Just get caught up in the moment?

BTW. I'd pick Bookhaven's beaded inset cabinetry any time, anywhere if I could afford it. Even with my DirectBuy discount, it's out of my destitute budget. They do beautiful work.

• Alva Reid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are correct, CEFreeman,it was a rush decision and We should have done more research. It has been more than 3 days since signing the contract, unfortunately. We were too trusting of the business's reputation for being the best kitchen design/remodeling co. The terms "custom kitchen" were thrown around and we thought we were paying for custom cabinets. I now understand why the KD gave vague answers when asked about specific sizes, etc. I didn't use my better judgement and listened to the GC, who, the more I get to know him is simply a fast talking salesman. Thanks for the response.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Even if it is after the 3 days try to get out. Call your local BBB and check their rating. Ask for info on how to get out of the contract. Call an attorney. Did you give them any money? If so stop payment. Don't take no for an answer.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz