Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiequsie60_gw

Ceramic Beadboard Backpslash - Done

SusieQusie60
12 years ago

This past week we had our ceramic beadboard backsplash installed. I'm very happy with it! Here are some pix if anyone is interested:

You can probably tell that I ultimately decided to go with the "mellow" theme in my kitchen with the backsplash. I picked something I thought would really blend, leaving my floor and my backsplash (both dark) to really "pop" in my kitchen.

Not a whole lot between me and completion at this point - glass inserts, under cabinet lighting, a few pieces of trim. Can't believe I might really have a "Finished Kitchen" soon.

SQ

Comments (57)

• SusieQusie60
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dianalo - that's pretty funny. I totally agree with you about the horizontal seam thingy. And honestly, I probably wouldn't have even noticed my own seam if the builder had not pointed it out to me! (It does actually run all the way behind the stove - but who cares.) :-)

SQ

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

I love the ceramic beadboard! Your kitchen is lovely, a very welcoming and comfortable appearing space. Congratulations!

• dee850
    12 years ago

Wow, that is so cool! I had no idea that the made beadboard tile. Looks fantastic in your kitchen.

• SusieQusie60
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's funny, when I first started this entire project, I knew I absolutely loved the look of beadboard for a backsplash. But, that was one of the things my husband absolutely would not hear of - just didn't like the idea of wood in any area that was going to get wet (behind sink) and/or greasy/dirty (behind stove.) It was pretty much the same reason he didn't want wood countertops.

The idea of a tile that looked like beadboard just sort of popped into my head one day, and I came here to GW to investigate. I don't remember anyone actually having used it in their own kitchen, although a few people had heard of it. That's the main reason I thought I should post some pictures here so that if someone else is in a similar situation, maybe I can actually be of help!!

SQ

• elba1
    12 years ago

Looks great!

• Mary Ann Boffey
    12 years ago

Hi there,

I also asked my kitchen guy about beadboard backsplash and he also advised against it. I LOVE the look of the tiles.
    One question... my vent hood (stainless) will be at 30" -- what do you think of putting a stainless shelf over the seam at 20" up the wall behind the range?

Anyone have any thoughts on how that would look?

Also does anyone have a source for this in the Seattle area? I found the Ceramica on ppltile.com, but I can't verify the color thru samples.

Finding this website was the best thing to happen to my kitchen design. THANKS to everyone and especially for photos. It's hard to explain to my DH what I'm thinking and the pics have really helped.

• Daicey
    12 years ago

What a great idea!! It looks GREAT!

• onerae
    12 years ago

Looks great...I'm glad to know there is such a product available...

• lala girl
    12 years ago

Love this - It looks so wonderful!!

• lalithar
    12 years ago

How fabulous! Can't wait to see your full reveal.. Love love your open shelves with the chunky wood.

• katsmah
    12 years ago

That looks terrific!

• kmmh
    12 years ago

It looks great!! Thanks for the pictures, I'm trying convince DH to go with ceramic beadboard for backsplash, this should help!

• Laurie
    12 years ago

Love, love, love your backsplash. I've been struggling with what to do for mine (kitchen has been relatively done for many months) and this would fit in nicely with my sort of Craftsman look.

Wonderful!

• celineike
    12 years ago

so cool!!! I just love it!!!

• SusieQusie60
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First - thanks for all the new nice comments.

Maryann - I think what you're describing with the hood would look great. I think a shelf along the seam would do a great job of both hiding it and being useful.

I'm super happy my pictures can be helpful to some people. My husband (who is totally "amazed" that he now has a kitchen as nice as he thinks our is) comments constantly on how happy he is with the ceramic beadboard decision. He was definitely a bit hesitant. (As he was on the green cabinets, and the Blanco sink, and the leathered granite and the hardwood floor...get my point?)

Here's a fun-fact that we both feel good about: Someone he works with also just redid his kitchen. The main difference is that he and his wife used a kitchen designer that supposedly cost about $8,000. My hubby is so darn proud that his wife (that would be me) did it on her own. (And I'm not "dissing" kitchen designers in any way - #1 couldn't afford one, #2 I enjoy researching and putting things together in my house. I can certainly understand if other people don't really enjoy that.) Bottom line is, I got soooooo many fantastic ideas here on GW I feel like this place WAS my kitchen designer.

Still waiting for my cabinet's glass inserts and then I think I actually will be done. Wow. SQ

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

SQ that looks awesome! I thought I was all set on marble subways...but now I'm really liking that look (and the price too)...and I also really like the idea of the stainless shelf suggested above (although your seam is so well-hidden!). You really did pull together a beautiful kitchen! I'm so jealous that you're almost done...we're still light years away here!

One question, can you notice the vertical seams between pieces of tile? Or is there no grout in there? How did that work, exactly?

• pamike1
    12 years ago

So glad you went with the ceramic beadboard backsplash! It's perfect in every way for your beautiful new kitchen. Awhile back, Breezygirl stated she wanted her kitchen to have.. that one element to make her's a unique, one of a kind beauty, that one thing that GW'sters would remember..besides those beautiful open shelves and backsplash, I believe you achieved that "Aha moment"...nicely inspiring, and an excellent contribution! Mission accomplished. Hope to see more, more, more....

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

I love your beadboard, open shelves, and beautiful cabs! Congratulations, and I can't wait to see your final pics!

• SusieQusie60
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Once again, thanks for the compliments.

jalys6 -the grout lines (or actually "lack" of grout lines) is what really amazes me. Maybe I was just really lucky when I picked my grout color, but honestly, I have to work very hard to find where 2 pieces of the tile are joined. It's so "smooth."

I would highly recommend ceramic beadboard tile to anyone thinking they wanted this look.

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Wow-that looks fantastic! I looked at bead board tile, but it was around $35 a sq. ft. You certainly hit the mother lode! :^D

I love your whole sink wall. Love your windows, and that shelving is fab!

I'm looking forward to your full reveal!

• happycook2
    12 years ago

This looks terrific! I too didn't realize you could get ceramic beadboard. I did wood beadboard in my kitchen on two walls and love the old fashioned look. And I also designed our kitchen and my DH felt the same way. I don't have nothing against KD either, but I love having this room, where I spend so much of my time, reflect my personality and our lifestyle.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Wow, it's gorgeous!! I've seen the BB tile in some baths, too.

• remodel123
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen, want to use the same beadboard tile in my bathroom. Did you use the bianco or the avorio? If you used the bianco, was it a true white or something else? My local tile store doesn't carry this so I'm ordering online. Appreciate any insight you can offer.

• CoastalPeg
    12 years ago

I know that it has been a while since SuzieQusie60 was posting about her beadboard tile backsplash but I hope that she still has info on where to buy the beautiful tile that she used. The PPL company wouldn't send me a sample and I don't want to order it without seeing at least a small piece of the tile. Does anyone know another place to order it ?

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

CoastalPeg- That's what I'm trying to figure out. I only see PPL as selling it and they don't do samples like you said. Did you find any somewhere else?

2LittleFishies

• susiemw
    11 years ago

so loving that I stumbled across this thread. I am doing my bathroom in white beadboard and my kitchen is either going to be white beadboard or perhaps a wider white board... so this ceramic beadboard is just what I need!!

thank you for posting

susan

• PokeyCat
    11 years ago

Wondering whether anyone here was able to locate / purchase this ceramic beadboard tile, other than on the PPL website? Saw it here first, then just came across it featured in BH&G Kitchen & Bath Ideas mag (June 2012). It's the backsplash solution I've been looking for!!

Any info, advice, suggestions would be much-appreciated.

• catlover5
    11 years ago

I found it quite by accident at Cancos Tile and they gave me a sample. I did not see it on their web site but my Google search came up with a PDF document for it through Cancos. And, they were very nice!

• elleb77
    9 years ago

Just wondered, SuzieQ, if you are still happy with your tiled beadboard. I'm going to order from PPL, but as others have stated, they do not sell samples.

• janjan212
    9 years ago

I am also looking for this beadboard tile. I believe PPL tile was just some guy drop shipping tile orders, and the phone number is now disconnected. I haven't seen it locally, at least not at any of the tile shops I've been in. If anyone has been able to get it, can you please let me know where? Thanks so much. Love your kitchen SuzieQ!

• lala girl
    9 years ago

That looks gorgeous! What a wonderful kitchen, I just love all your choices. Enjoy!

• 4isablessing
    9 years ago

SuzieQ, where in NJ did you find the beadboard tile? I'm in love with your kitchen!!!

• yelloweasterbunny
    8 years ago

What is the tile manufacturer on the beadboard? I am desperately trying to find it

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago

Try www.ppl.tile.com. The tile is on this page. I too loved this tile and had the link saved on my pin board. Hope it helps. : )

• speaktodeek
    8 years ago

A houzz search yielded this vendor for a tile beadboard product: http://www.tile-shop.com/products/boiserie/boiserie.html

• dmeah
    8 years ago

Crossville also makes a ceramic beadboard tile in their Savoy line:

Crossville 12x24 beadboard

• Tricia Roe
    8 years ago

I live in nj and can't find this ceramic beadboard. Can anyone suggest a tile store??

• catlover5
    8 years ago

Cancos Tile

• Tricia Roe
    8 years ago

I was quoted $26 per square foot by some tile store today. :o( feeling defeated.

• Judy Bee
    7 years ago

I absolutely love the look, but wonder if it would be hard to clean. I don't think it would be as simple as wiping it down.

• yelloweasterbunny
    7 years ago

why do you feel it would be difficult to wipe down, Judy Bee?

• Judy Bee
    7 years ago

The grooves could collect stuff missed by a surface wipe, possibly requiring cotton swabs?

• practigal
    7 years ago

That is really beautiful!

• Aloha Girl
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

SusieQ - I have admired your kitchen photos for years. Now I am building a home and would love to incorporate your beadboard tile. Can you provide either the manufacturer or your husband's friend's tile store? Thank you!

• Jeanne Fernandes
    5 years ago

Here is another place I have found the bead board tiles. https://www.tile-shop.com/products/boiserie/boiserie.html also http://cancostileandstone.com/index.php?route=common/home

Both have them, no idea on price - will call and find out. The Tile-shop.com is in California, but their ad says the Berkeley shop services others areas (means shipping out of state?). I am in California and not far from Berkeley so will go their in person once I call them and verify they have them! We are doing a French Country kitchen in green and gray with island in gray and white. I had a baking center made with wooden bead board on as the backing (painted bright white), so we are in love with the bead board tile to match this! It is a must have for my new kitchen. I will post pix when it is done.

• Aloha Girl
    5 years ago

Thank you Jeanne! I communicated with Artwalk Tile (who has a competitive price) a few days ago. They kindly added a sample option to their website. I ordered a sample and am looking forward to seeing the tile. I will post here when I receive it.

• Aloha Girl
    5 years ago

I received my beadboard sample from Artwalk Tile. It is beautiful, - creamy white with a smooth matte finish. Alas, I want shiny, bright white. I attempted to color match with a Sherwin Williams paint sample in the photo below.

• N S
    3 years ago

@Jeanne Fernandes @Aloha Girl Did you end up using the beadboard tile? I'm also thinking of using it, but would love to see the Boiserie in someone's kitchen first. Also, wondering about the shade of white, whether it's more warm or cool. And great job on yours @SusieQusie60

• Bobby Quitzon
    2 years ago

Would you happen to have a 1’ x 2’ piece left? I need one for my backsplash in my bathroom lol