Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_halfacre

KD help: new construction

We are a family of 7, four adults, two teens, one child. I cook very little to no prepared foods and we are almost all here for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I'll have two elderly parents who need to be kept safe and (sorry, but...) out of my work space.

Teens will be in this kitchen ALOT. I want them there and want the space to provide for whatever they want to do in there.

I have read all the very long instructions to follow when posting and hope you will find all the answers you'll need to help.

Non-negotiable wants are 1)windows, while the size/placement is flexible, the fact that I want two walls of them is not.
2) island with as many seats as possible. I'd like to keep the work space clear though, remember.

Budget IS an issue, lots of countertop there and I still have many other expenses, obviously.

This is a U shaped kitchen flanked on the left side interior wall by a mudroom with a 13 foot long pantry (storage won't be a big issue for me) and the right side of the U is an exterior wall, flanked by a large deck with a great view.

The whole house is basically a rectangle with two square "wings". The "rectangle's" floor plan is open concept and the kitchen opens out to a dining room then to our living room. All areas are visible to each other.

The kitchen is at one end, the dining room next, then the living room. It's all 16 x 40. I am intentionally not posting the whole floor plan due to architect's privacy request as I've gleaned from an earlier posting to GW.

We are planing on 32'' each frigidaire twin units and a 36'' stovetop with a separate oven so that I can actually stand at the opening of the oven and bend over. If it is a full unit, the island as shown will prevent that. I'd love twin ovens but cannot for the life of me figure out how to include them and not have them be an eyesore by putting them at the end of the right side of the U.

That right side of the U by the way is flexible in length. However far it goes out will be into the dining space. I've also written flexible on the floor since the island can be as deep as needed (or as shallow leaving me plenty of space in the dining room). The dining room of which, I hope to pack that out with people :)

Hopefully I've included enough information about our needs. I'm looking forward to hearing thoughts on how to help improve our design,

Comments (2)