Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melaska

Removable table @ island...is there such a thing?

melaska
12 years ago

This is kind of related to Hawkz4Us's thread about island seating at table height. (Linked below)

Sharonite's picture is the closest to what I'd like. Mine would be more of a "T"...the island being the top cross & seating perpendicular to the island.

My question is: Is there such a thing as a removable table that I can expand using leaves when we have company? We are empty nesters and live in a remote town in Alaska so we don't get visitors from 'Outside' very often. It's just me & hubby 99% of the time.

I don't want island height seating - we much prefer regular table height. I guess I could just push up a regular dining table against the island but I'm wondering how stable that would be - would I always have to straighten the table & chairs - that kind of thing.

If I went the regular table route - how can I make it integrate into the island so it doesn't look weird? I'd like to seat at least 4 at the island if at all possible.

Hubby's idea is to just anchor the table at one end & add leaves as needed on the other end. The only trouble with that is we'd lose one seat at the anchored end.

Our living room/dining 'area' & kitchen are rather small so I don't have a lot of room to play with. It's a fairly small house - meant for our retirement & easy upkeep & easy on the taxes.

Thanks so much for any input you can give :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (18)

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For some reason, the link didn't go through. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0810484515301.html?24

Sharonite's island:

threebee's island - I forgot I had this one. The L of the island would keep the table more secure. I really love this one, too!

• prospect711
    12 years ago

Saw an island with a pull-out table in a Grabel demo kitchen setup. Would something like that be helpful?

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, prospect...do you have a link? I couldn't find anything on Google.

• adel97
    12 years ago

Melaska, I sent you a mail as well, but here is a pull-out table that I was thinking about for you. We almost went this route as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: [houzz pull out island table[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transisions-contemporary-kitchen-turin-phvw-vp~115863)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

For flexibility without breaking the bank, try a drop leaf table with the folded down part against the island. It would give you a normal table that could be pulled out when needed and the drop leaf part is in no one's way when not needed.
    It is probably less expensive than a custom made option....

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sharonite...thanks for that! I wonder if there are plans? Or if you could use wood instead of what looks like steel?

I'll link the houzz page that your pic came from below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Islands with integrated tables

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dianalo - thanks for that idea...I wonder if I could get one big enough. I'd want the drop to be on the ends not the sides. I'll have to poke around & see what I can find. Thanks!

• kaismom
    12 years ago

I know that the island seating at table height is in style right now but I don't see the advantage over the proper/normal table seating. The island has advantage over the table because of the storage under the island. If you give that up, ie many of these table height island facing each other don't have ANY storage, then you have fixed location table that is not flexible. The only thing you have is the "look" and have lost the function, IMHO. You can make the room stream lined and built-in by purchasing a table/chair set that really complements the kitchen, rather than having a fixed table.

If you couple the island with high back chairs, then you can't even use it as a work area because the chairs are in the way. If you want to (think you will) use it as a work area at a table height, make sure that you work well sitting down OR that the seats are backless so you can push the seats under the table height island.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Melaska,

I think you could adapt a regular table to do everything you want. You can finish (or refinish) it to match the island, or pleasantly contrast, so that takes care of the looks. You can also add a top that matches, depending on what you have available. I once saw a leaf table with granite veneers. The granite was maybe 3/16 thick. Thick enough to be fairly durable, but much lighter than a regular stone top. Underneath, was some very rigid hardwood, probably maple or oak.

You can put in some kind of anchoring system so that the table doesn't shift when it's attached to the island. I'm thinking of a kind of marine hook which can fold flat into a recess when not in use, but otherwise sticks out of the island and clips underneath the edge of the table. Or floor sockets to hold the table legs. There are all kinds of other ways of doing it as well. The easiest way is to have a very heavy table. My dining table, for instance, is made of chunky slab teak and is nigh on impossible to push. That might defeat your purpose, however, if you can your husband aren't strong enough to lift and move it.

Why shouldn't you have a table if that's what you want? Why not butt it up to the island when you don't need the extra seating? It sounds like a great plan to me!

• prospect711
    12 years ago

I don't have a link because I saw it in person, not on a web site. Its at a Grabill showroom in Beavercreek, Ohio. As I recall, its a very nice high-end island, in cherry, with a pullout table, also in cherry.

I can get some photos if you are interested - I drive past there almost every day.

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kaismom - thanks for your suggestions. I wasn't going to have anything at the back of my island anyway. Plus, with the addition of the "L" part of the island, I'll have even more function since I will now have a close-by landing spot for things taken out of the wall oven. Plus, I will have more room for more drawers on the non-table side. I want my island to be island height (at least 36" - maybe a little higher - I have back issues) but I wanted table height seating (at least 30")

When we have company, it will be easy to add the leaf & more chairs. Our house will be fairly small so this addresses lots of needs.

p1llog - you are right! I'm going to (at this point) have a regular table that I will butt up again this L-shaped island and move it when I have more company. The "L" part of the island will help stabilize it.

I love threebees solution - this is what I want:

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

prospect...Oh, thank you! Please, don't go out of your way to take pics. But, if you're ever there - sure, that would be great :) Thank you!

• threebees
    12 years ago

I only pop in here once in a while and I just happened to see this post and the photos of my kitchen :)

I just wanted to let you know that this set up has worked incredibly well for us. We eat here all the time and at the moment we have four chairs around the table because we have company. I am so glad we did this and didn't go for counter or bar height seating because I don't think it would have been quite so comfortable.

Hope everything works out for you!

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

threebees...I would love to see your entire kitchen. Are your pics up on GW? Thank you so much for my inspiration...I'll let you know how it works out. Thank you for letting me know how it worked out for you - sounds like you have a winner & hopefully, I can do it as well as you. Also, I love that table...where did you get it? Thanks!

• threebees
    12 years ago

melaska, the kitchen photos that you have show all of my kitchen:) I haven't posted many photos because I am just not a very good photographer. If you need to know or would like to see something specific, I will do my best for you.

The table was purchased from Ashley Furniture (Canada). It's not the best quality but at the time I was desperate to have my kitchen functioning again (after living in the basement for 5 months)and it was just about the perfect size. The leather chairs were purchased from Costco.

Hope that helps!

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ohhh...thanks threebees! Yes, that does really help. We have an Ashley Furniture store in Anchorage 300 miles away. Yeah...those chairs look very high quality - I'm sure they weren't cheap! Are you happy with them? That style is exactly what I want. I do not like ornate anything so this is right up my alley! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Your kitchen - well, you did a wonderful job with the pictures you took. Your kitchen looks like it's laid out a lot like mine - I'd love to see your floor plan?

Thanks!

• threebees
    12 years ago

I'm afraid I don't have a floor plan anymore. I got rid of all the unnecessary paperwork after the reno.

The chairs were about $800 for 4 of them. They are excellent quality (all leather) and very comfortable.

As for my style, sometimes I think it is a little bit boring but I have learned that I can't live with visual clutter and busyness.

We live in Calgary, Alberta and Alaska is on our places to visit list. I'm leaning towards a cruise to see the beautiful sights along your coastline.

• melaska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

threebees: Glad to hear you like the chairs...I did find them on the Costco site - I hope they carry them for a while longer until I can get some. My style is very simple & plain, too. I do not like ornate things. I look at everything & think, "Ok, how easy is this to clean/dust?"

I love the clean lines of your kitchen - exactly what I want. What kind of counters do you have?

Did you always want a white kitchen? I've gone back & forth so many times. I love both darker & white cabs. I've even thought of doing 2 tones.

The closest I've been to Alberta is driving through the Yukon Territory & British Columbia on the Alcan going to the States. Is it much like BC? I hope you do get to visit Alaska. I've heard the Inside Passage is gorgeous. I need to be a tourist so I can see more of my home state :) Maybe you can choose a cruise that comes to the port of Valdez (where I live). Valdez is called the "Little Switzerland of the North.