Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickyk22

help with kitchen floor selection - grey cabinets

rickyk22
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

i am new to the site but have been browsing for a few days. My wife and I are moving and are going to be remodeling our new kitchen. We are planning on doing grey floor cabinets and off white upper cabinets (any inspirational pictures would be appreciated).

However, this brings me to my question, we dont want to do wood in the kitchen because that is what we have now and as much as we love it, between the dog, water and high traffic, they got pretty beat up in a short time. So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions and/or pictures of other flooring options that would go with the cabinet colors we are doing. Also, the flooring will carry out into a foyer area and will butt up against wood in the three ajoining rooms.

thanks so much for any help.

Comments (12)

• ptamom
    12 years ago

This is a tile I am considering for my backsplash that is for floors (terrazzo type). I think it is beautiful with a little edge. It comes in dark and light grey and a couple of different patterns. Most lines have extensive, wood look floor tile that could intergrate well with a border tile, also.

Here is a link that might be useful: solistone flooring

• brickton
    12 years ago

How dark grey are you going with your cabinets? Light grey? Medium? Charcoal?

What style house is this in?

Would something like a inlay floor with two types of porcelain tile work? Faux wood and faux marble?

Pattern like this:

"Wood" tile like this (Tesoro Antico Pecan 6x24):
    {{!gwi}}

"Marble" tile like this (American Olean Catarina White 18x18):
    {{!gwi}}

I love the look of wood floors with white and gray cabinets, but I understand the maintenance concerns. These are nice large format tiles so there wouldn't be a ton of grout, but obviously this would be a fairly intense floor, which not everyone would want.

• rickyk22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are not sure on the exact grey yet, but probably something like the link below. I like the wood tile a lot, and had thought of doing the whole thing that way, but since it is going to be connecting to actual wood floors in four doorways, i am afraid it will not match up nicely. I do like the marble tile also, but will that stain easily with liquids?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

I had a hard time choosing my flooring. In addition to your concerns, I wanted something that would be easy on knees and feet,hide a few spots in the kitchen between cleanings and easy care. Tall order but I found the perfect floor for me. There's even a lifetime warranty on the finish.
    It goes with gray and cream too!

with sunlight coming in the window...

It was easy to install. My GC did the install but a DIY could handle it. The company (link below) also makes a similar product for HD, it's not as heavy and the finish is not as good. At HD it's called Allure.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Starloc Flooring

• rickyk22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks nancy. Very nice! What paint color did you guys use in there? It looks like a color we wanted to use in the living room.

thanks again.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

The paint color is Seaside Blue BM #2054-50.

Be careful, it can be pretty bright, I think I'm going to soften it a little, I need to repaint anyway because of some additional work.

Nancy

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

here are a few....

• rickyk22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you boxerpups. These are extremely helpful.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I just used the linked tile below in two bathrooms and I love it! It has many different elements and colors would be great for high traffic areas. I love how it looks and I think it would look great with gray cabinets. Not sure what style you are going for, but maybe it will help? Carbonne was the color I used

Here is a link that might be useful: Trend Tile- Level Carbonne

• ptamom
    12 years ago

A boxerpups~ do you know the specifics on kitchen 1 and 4? I love the backsplash. :)

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I belive those are from Attic Magic or Apartment Thearpy.
    Sorry I wish I had the details...
    : (

~boxerpups

• rickyk22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

any info on the flooring in the 2nd to last picture? looks like bluestone maybe?