Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pghgolfgirl1

Jeffery Court Pietra Opus Fire & Ice Quartz

pghgolfgirl
11 years ago

Thinking of using this for my backsplash after seeing the awesome photos on this forum. What color grout did you use? Can you give me a ballpark figure as to what to expect to pay per square foot? Is it too difficult to DIY? Or will I need a pro? Does it need to be sealed? How difficult is it to keep clean?

All responses appreciated!

Comments (10)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Pictures or links would help.

• pghgolfgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry - I assumed that everyone was familiar with this tile as it is often mentioned in the forum as being used as a backsplash.
    Attached is a photo of the tile. Any assistance is appreciated.

• andreak100
    11 years ago

It's pretty, but I would imagine that even if you sealed it, it would be a nightmare to keep clean if you cook anything that would splatter like tomato sauce or anything with any oil at all.

Hopefully someone that has it can step forward and give you better info.

• pghgolfgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought of that too but the one good thing is that I have a Bosch free standing range so there is a metal backsplash (or whatever you call that back part of the range!) so that should help somewhat. Also, in the interest of full disclosure, compared to most people on this forum, I don't cook a lot!
    I would definitely be interested in hearing from people who have already installed this tile to hear about how it is to clean.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Give a shout out to jodi in california. She has a beautiful kitchen with this backsplash for a number of years now.
    She would be a great person to ask about how it is holding out.

• pghgolfgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just sent jodi in so calif an email so hopefully she'll respond. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Got your email Joey but will reply here for everyone to read.

What color grout did you use? Quartz

Can you give me a ballpark figure as to what to expect to pay per square foot? About $15 a square foot not including installation

Is it too difficult to DIY? Or will I need a pro? We're not DIYers but there have been a few people here on the Kitchen forum who have installed it themselves. The tiles come in an approx 1 foot squares with white net backing. White thin set must be used to ensure the netting is not visible. We replaced several of the clear glass pieces with a darker burnt umber color glass. Our supplier no longer carries that size glass pieces. Others here have had trouble finding replacement glass as well. But after seeing other F&I kitchens, I think the b/s looks fine without replacement glass.

Does it need to be sealed? We sealed ours but did not 'enhance' it. The sealing did not change the tile color or brightness but enhanced tiles I've seen are darker/brighter looking

How difficult is it to keep clean? With no kids at home, we do not cook a lot so I'll have to refer you to someone else who does.

Hope that helps some.

Jodi-

• pghgolfgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jodi: Thanks so much for replying! Yours was the first kitchen that I noticed with this tile and it was love at first sight! There are 2 places in Pittsburgh that carries F&I and I'm hoping to stop there within the next few weeks to finalize things. Thanks again for your help and I'll post photos once my kitchen remodel is complete.

• kks_kitchen
    11 years ago

pghgolfgirl,
    I've had fire and ice for over a year. We did not enhance but do seal 2 times per year. If you don't it begins to look chalky. It doesn't take long to seal it. 30 minutes at most. I replaced some glass with black and I did a bake on technique to reach a burgandy color which I desired. It turned out beautiful. My husband is no pro but installed ours. He is a talented person and built most of our home. Below is a link while we were in the process of the remodel. Hope this helps. Can't remember my grout color. Sorry. Here's a link

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0512330625086.html

Here is a link that might be useful: kks kitchen

• pghgolfgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kks kitchen: Thanks so much for the info and link! Your kitchen is lovely. I still haven't decided whether or not I'm going to try to install it myself - the deciding factor maybe the the labor cost to have a pro do it.
    I will post photos when my kitchen is all done (hopefully within a month.)
    Thanks again!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz