Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door hardware brand reviews?

Posted by elizamamma (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 8:31

Hi all,
This is a xpost from the Old House forum. I'm posting here because I spend the most time on this board and have found you all so helpful, so I hope you don't mind a slightly non-kitchen specific query. We're looking at door hardware for the entire house, including a few pantries in the kitchen. I'd like to do a fairly traditional oil rubbed bronze knob with a rectangular backplate. Rejuvenation has a lovely and expensive version, as do Van Dyke's (the brand there is Brass Accents) and House of Antique Hardware. Does anyone one have experience with these brands? I know the Rejuvenation knobs are nice and solid and the finish lasts, but I don't know about the others and would prefer to go with a cheaper option if possible.
Thanks for you help!
Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door hardware brand reviews?

We haven't got them yet, but we are getting Emtek handles on our new exterior doors. It's been so long since we picked them out, I don't even remember what we ordered. :: I don't know if they're more or less than the others, but they feel really good. They were recommended by the place we bought the doors. I posted their website, but I think you can get their stuff other places.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emtek

o

Hi - I found this thread searching on rejuvenation. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the brand. I was looking in their store today at the "oil rubbed bronze" finish. FWIW be warned that it's an awfully dark version of ORB. I usually think of that as a slightly red-browner version than what they have. I do like what they have, it's just I'd term it more of a matte black or some-such.

As it happens, I've had an ORB Emtek door handle -- several of them, actually, for years. I really, really love them. Very heavy and lustrous. But I think lots of manufacturers may be great with their door sets? I'm not sure about that; I just know I still just love our door sets.

Anyone have rejuvenation bath fixtures? How do they hold up please?

o

Another Emtek fan here.

o

Plus they're a super-nice small company (east of LA where I am). You can just call them up and they'll do any weird combo you want. I wanted a glass knob in a ORB door set and they said "sure". It's so heavy and pretty.... :) Once I needed info on some handles (all my kitchen handles are from them too) and they said "hold on, I'll go look in the warehouse" and 20 minutes later came back with an answer.

It's odd because they're a seemingly huge national company, but not so where the rubber meets the road.

Old Bat I'm glad you like them too!

o

My doors are Baldwin and they look new after 5 years.
I bought them from a little Baldwin brass store in west Reading PA and they offered a nice discount and shipped them to me.
I also looked at Emtek- they look similar quality

o

Another Baldwin fan here. When we bought our house in 1984, it had the original 1953 Schlage hardware, which was decent quality, but the salt air near the beach had taken it's toll on the brass finish.
So I switched out every piece of hardware, including hinges to Baldwin oil rubbed bronze. Thirty years later, it all still looks great, and functions without problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here