Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelvar

Fabrication Prices

kelvar
14 years ago

We will be buying the granite ourselves (2 to 3 slabs depending on layout) and paying for delivery to the fabricator ourselves. Does anyone know what a per footage amount it would - or should be - to fabricate? The granite isn't a delicate piece requiring any special install work. I know that edges run up the cost, but I'm just looking for a benchmark cost - fabrication with standard edge. We're going to be looking at a couple of places to do the fabrication and I want to know what is considered normal/expected pricing vs. high. The cost of the granite shouldn't matter (I think) since that will be over and done with since we're paying that separately.

Comments (10)

• muscat
    14 years ago

I dont honestly remember in terms of square feet what I paid, but having the granite delivered from the stone yard to the fabricator was part of the deal. Maybe it is local custom, but I've had 2 countertop projects done by 2 different fabricators, and in each case the fabricators and the granite yard were all willing to ship the pieces at no charge. I think they have trucks going back and forth all the time.

• vrjames
    14 years ago

sleevepresto,

You are in Atlanta correct? Did you use the company in Kennesaw?

James

• pence
    14 years ago

wow, ive never heard of doing that--why won't the fabricator pay to have it delivered? what if the delivery people break your granite and you've already paid for it? Sure they'd be responsible but will you really ever get your money back?

also, I'm not sure, ask some of the stone people on this forum, but i would think that some granites are harder to fabricate because of their density, harder to finish an edge, for example

• vrjames
    14 years ago

pence, you are just skating on the edge of the potential problems associated with "owning" your own slabs.

In Atlanta this is not a common practice yet. There is one supplier that just started his, "retail" program. I am curious if sleevepresto is using him or someone else and the reception he is getting from the fabricators. None that I have spoken to are willing to accept the liability.

Blessings

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

We did exactly what you are doing (and I prefer it that way than the 'all rolled into one' route.

We paid for the slabs and our fabricator picked it up (they work with the supplier often is only a mile away).

They did the templating, fabrication and installation. I supervised each of those personally. We also got all of the extra pieces back (expensive stone so the left overs are worth something).

The cost of fabrication including cut outs, laminated flat edge and floor returns was about $30 per sq ft (finished sq ft).

• vrjames
    14 years ago

Pharaoh,

Iknow you have been a proponent for a long time for this type of set up. I must ask you a few questions.

What if your fabricator had called you and said your slab broke while we were placing it on the saw. It had a hidden fissure/flaw/weak spot, you need to buy another slab? Understand he has no liability for your material.

Or what if he was carrying your sink deck into the house and it breaks while he is laying it down. IT is your material you need to buy another slab. Weak spots occur in materials which is why fabricators that are smart pad the cost of materials to cover the 15% breakage that always occurs.

Those of us in the industry are hearing horror stories daily.

I am just curious.

James

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

I understand the need to cover liability. That is why I supervised the fabrication myself. I wanted to make sure that if there were any hidden issues with my stone, i would pay for extra slabs.

Mishandling, breaking a slab by the fabricator would have to be covered by them.

I guess fabricators dont want to work with such uncertainties, that is why they should pad their prices to cover breakage. Whether it is $30 or $60 per sq ft, is up to their business model and economics.

I am DIY person so I like to have the freedom to shop for raw materials, pricing, process and details.

To give you an example, I mentioned the term 'floor return' and 'waterfall' edge to the fabricator. They had no idea what i was talking about. That is why I had to show them how to fabricate this!

I am not a contractor or anyway related to the construction industry so I only profess what I like to do. Of course, the market will support only certain lucrative models and not others.

In los angeles, the supplier/fabricator as two separate businesses is a common model.

• vrjames
    14 years ago

You have just said the reason it really is not a wise idea. Even though it worked out well for you and works generally well.

The Mistakes though turn into disasters for the homeowner.

What you refer to as "mishandling" can be blamed and supported as a weakness of the stone. YOUR stone. Unless you have a signed contract with the fabricator accepting liability for your stone, you are on the hook. Not him.

Return and waterfall, If you were working with a true Professional that did not understand those two basic terms, then you truly got lucky.

I received a call today from a "guy" wanting to pick up a slab for his customer. He was not a fabricator and I think he was going to do the work in her yard. I ran him off. He got quite upset.

I am glad it worked out for you.

• kelvar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

vrjames - What company in Kennesaw are you referring to?

• vrjames
    14 years ago

sleevepresto, I was curious as to where you purchased your slabs. But after rereading your post I see you are buying, not bought.

Have you called any companies in Atlanta to cut them? I will be interested who you will be able to get.

You may not be aware but I work for a supplier in Atlanta, G&L. and as you can see our position on Homeowners buying their own slabs.

You are taking on so much liability I can only hope everything goes well.

James

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living