Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash meeting on Tues! Hand-glazed ceramics

Posted by sstrazisar (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 8:17

My plans (which are constantly shifting) seem to have settled on off-white perimeter cabs with leathered antique brown granite. Island is chocolate stain and black walnut butcherblock. It's taken awhile to come to the "white cab" camp, but I couldn't find a wood stain that fit. Anyway, I meet with backsplash designer on Tues. They carry Sonoma tiles, and I love the hand-glazed look with subtle variation and pooling of color at the edges. I don't want a white BS, or busy mosaic. I can get 3x6 tiles in the attached colors (and more), but I'm unsure of a color direction. Any advice? Things to avoid?

http://www.sonomatilemakers.com/brochures/STM_1.pdf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash meeting on Tues! Hand-glazed ceramics

Photo of cabinets, counters, and floor. Thanks!

o

I saw some of their glass coated tile yesterday and it was gorgeous. Doesn't quite sound like what you're looking at, but regardless I'd check the mfr's install instructions and make sure they're followed. In the case of the glass tile they require sealing all cut ends with crazy glue and then a regular sealing of all the tile prior to grout. Perhaps neither of these are uncommon, but I thought I'd pass it on.

The other thing of note, I got three quotes for what I liked, two were the same and one was about $9/sq ft more. Based on the email from the third store I found out that the lower price is 20% off list, so it seems that might be a reasonable target.

Can't help you with colors - if I was good at that I'd have a backsplash by now! Good luck and please post back about what you saw.

o

Since you admit that your plans continue to shift, I would not make a backsplash selection until your kitchen is installed and you can finally see the effect of all the combined finish selections. You might be surprised about the final effect. Seems many on this forum are.

Backsplash tile will be the last item installed and unless it's a long lead time item, it can wait. Lovely tiles from Sonoma, but there are many other tile manufacturers that also create lovely tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Collections from Country Floors

o

Thanks to both of you! Good advice on the install and on when to purchase. eI'd like to have a BS plan, but will remain open to change it. I'm also looking at WZ and Encore. Kinda similar to Sonoma...guess that style attracts me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here