Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to mix base molding?

Posted by sstrazisar (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 8:15

Hi all! I have a setup that's tall pantry-bar area-fridge. I'm wondering if flush molding under the pantry, and then a regular toe-kick under the bar area cabinets would look more finished. I could also pull out the pantry & fridge by 1-2" to make it easier to get that built-in fridge look. I have flush furniture molding on my island, so I thought this might tie in nicely. I'm having trouble finding photos like this, which makes me think it might not be a good idea. My layout is attached. The pantry butts up to a wall, and the fridge is next to a door that goes into laundry room.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to mix base molding?

Flush molding under the pantry would give some symmetry with the fridge, and since the uppers are symmetrical it'd be a nice little detail. As long as you don't overdue it, those little touches will give your kitchen a nice semi-custom look.That said, you could easily go with a standard toekick across the expanse and that would look fine as well. I don't think I'd pull the pantry and fridge out any further though, it isn't necessary and I don't think you'd like the front corners on either side of the bar area.

o

Thanks sparkier, I really appreciate the feedback. I'm looking for that semi-custom look, exactly right! Would you put flush molding around the fridge nook too? I struggle to find pictures of how this looks. Like this transition under the ovens?

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen

o

I often pull out the pantry and fridge panel in situations like that. It allows the counter to "die" into the sides BUT then the faces are not on plane. Other way is to allow counter to be proud at the corners. You have to decide which you prefer. I do both or neither.

If you have to make fridge panel deeper but want faces on a plane then pull all the bases and the pantry.

If you pull it you may want a door swing limiter on that base cabinet.
If full overlay I put a 1" filler (+r extended stile) on the wall side of paantry. May want a limiter there too.

o

Thanks jackuval, loving the details! Can you define "proud at the corners"? Googling the phrase got me nothing.

o

If I'm unsterstanding you correctly, and am correct that this is a free-standing fridge, then air flow is a concern. You can't block the bottom.

o

Definitely true foodonastump. I wasn't thinking molding under fridge.

o

Ok good so I misunderstood. As you were... ;-)

o

quick visual

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here