Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Butcher Block built into Counter?

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

I've seen photos on Houzz, etc... but what I'm wondering is if any of you have it and if there are issues with cleaning it, stuff getting in the side cracks (between counter), etc... and if you would recommend it or not. I'd assume it could be removed if it got really bad and sanded and replaced. I don't know.

We're doing a walnut island top but not sure about cutting on it. I was thinking of insetting an end grain piece into it for cutting.

Just a thought : ) (PLEASE let this reno be over soon so I can stop thinking!)

Comments (25)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

My mom had one built into the counter. I don't remember her ever taking it out. I know the edge between it and the (probably) Formica countertop had a silver band on it. I'm thinking that was probably something to stop crap from getting in the cracks.

Hers is why I've always wanted a butcherblock.

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

I am with CEFreeman....my mother had one too! It was huge...probably 4 feet long! Was amazing!!!

• beeps
    11 years ago

Interesting how we all say "my mom had one" because mine did too. Maybe that means they are.... dated? =) But it was awesome... just cut things right there with no worries. I'd say she'd had it about 25 years or so when the house was sold. It still looked really good... although did have some "patina." :)

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Here is a link to mom2cohen's kitchen. It's one of my favorites and definately not dated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Built in butcher block

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I have Boos cutting board built into my granite counter. The GC had the block sanded down or otherwise reduced in size so it was closer to the depth of the counter. There is silicone at the side seams, so nothing goes down. It's very easy to clean, and I periodically put mineral oil on it. I love it.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much. Not sure if an end grain block will look silly set into a wood top? I'll think on it. One of the woodworkers mentioned that although many people cut on walnut it isn't the best for it because it's an open grain wood. Not like maple.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Why not just have your cab maker put a big breadboard under your prep area that you can pull out and chop on? You don't strictly need end grain unless you plan to cleaver through chine bones.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marcolo- A breadboard that is attached and pulls out or just a loose one you put on the top. At worst I'll probably just leave my 12 x 18 walnut block on the island. They are a little heavy to carry to sink.

Yes, I'm hearing that plank and edge grain aren't really much different.

I still am tempted to just cut on the island top like that guy who posted a few years back (you were in on the post). If you choose a spot to use it stays in one area and you can always sand it down. I know we do a lot of quick cutting (fruit, sandwiches, veggies) and it would be nice to just do it on the counter.

• sayde
    11 years ago

Some things to consider about the alternative--- a big butcher block cutting board that sits on top of your counter -- you can pull it forward over the trash to push cuttings into the receptacle (assuming you're not composting everything). You can push it over to the sink. You can take it off the counter entirely to clean or just put away. If it is not too big you can lift it and push stuff directly into pots on the stove.

I like having several free standing butcher block cutting boards.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sayde- Yes I can totally see that. Thanks!

My Boos Block is Edge Grain but they are 2" wide. (each board) The two places I'm looking at for Edge Grain island top use about 1" wide so that may be too skinny of a look. I guess if I go plank it might be okay then.

MY cab maker told me it would look just like my Boos Board (even though it would be plank) just with wider boards. I prefer 2-3" though. I don't really want really wide boards.

PLEASE tell me in a few months I won't care about any of this. lol

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Then you'll starting thinking about your bathrooms. Or maybe your landscaping.

I actually had a discussion with a cabinet maker about this very issue yesterday. Sick, I know.

I do remember that thread of the walnut top used as a cutting board, and got very into the idea.

But here's my issue. A lot goes on cutting boards--meat, fish, fowl, as well as stuff ready to eat like bread. And a lot goes on countertops, including grocery bags and women's purses. I would be bleaching that thing ten times a day. So I'm not sure it would work for me. Maybe if my prep area were more isolated it would work, but not if it's also the most tempting plonk space.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

My mom (and we girls) used Windex.
    I grew up in the 60s, like many of us.

We grew up, evidently, before they invented germs.
    And germ mania.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Not in my house. We used bleach, a lot.

Cutting a sandwich on a board that was used to cut raw chicken ten minutes earlier is just not acceptable hygiene. Nor is cutting bread on a surface that has just held a woman's purse that has been on the floor of three public toilets a few hours earlier. This is the part I'm not getting about cutting on countertops.

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

I think it would be great to have a built in cutting board but have the same concerns as others regarding hygiene. I'm considering doing a set-up that my mom had; it was a cutting board that fit into a stainless steel recessed tray in the counter. The tray was set into the counter, but the cutting board just set into it and could easily be taken out and washed. I've looked on the web to see if anything similar is available, but haven't come up with anything. I don't think it would cost much to have the stainless made by a local company that does stainless backsplashes or counters. I think my parents' stainless inset was probably 18 x 24 or so, but you could have it made any size you want.

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

Even though I only ever cut veggies/fruits on my wood cutting boards, I like to be able to *wash* them in nice, hot, soapy water. I feel like they wouldn't get clean otherwise. So I would never get a board set into the counter.

Anything with raw meat gets cut on a plastic board that goes directly into the DW.

And who puts their purse on the counter? Even if you aren't cutting on it - eew?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I cut on the counter it wouldn't be meats for sure! However, that point about everyone putting things on the counter is a great point! Not just pocketbooks, but like you said- grocery bags, paperwork, kids doing homework.

marcolo- What was your idea on the board pulling out of island? Something attached or no?

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I think you all have it backward. Plastic spreads germs way more than wood, according to research. And dishwashers do not necessarily disinfect.

Fishes, you can do either one. If it stays attached, a breadboard extends your counter. But you may not need that. I was just thinking of convenient storage for something you use on the counter.

• momof2doxies
    11 years ago

I put one in about 1 1/2 years ago where my old cooktop used to be. I love it. It sits flush with the counter top. It is only used for baked goods. I have my bread drawer just below it. I don't have a problem with crumbs getting in the cracks. I do remove it to clean it. I am one that has multiple cutting boards for different tasks. There is just two of use so no grocery bags, purses, or what nots are ever placed on top of it.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

momof2- looks great- Sounds like a good system : )

I knew this would start the plastic vs wood issue with germs. I've read various studies. Some conflict but I do think wood is safer from what the research suggests.

So is a mixture of bleach and water in a spray bottle a good way to clean wood tops? (We are oiling ours)

• momo7
    11 years ago

I wanted to do this. I used to have a glass cutting board inset in my countertops. I didn't do it, it was there when we bought the house - just so nobody bawls me out about using glass to cut on. It was handy.

In my new kitchen I wanted end grain on one end of the island for cutting and the rest of the isand edge grain, where the sink will be. I finally found somebody to do it but then the cabinet maker found somebody who could make the whole island top end grain for only $100 more than I was going to pay. So that's what I'm going to do but I'm not sure what to do around the sink - to protect the wood.

I probably won't cut up meat on the island,, I'll still use a cutting board for mucky stuff.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I'm sure glad I don't carry a purse.
    If it can't fit in my pocket, it doesn't come with me.

• pqsmom
    11 years ago

Sorry to hijack, but where do you get smaller sizes of butcher block? I need a piece that is 40" long, and the shortest length I can find is 8 feet.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pqsmom- You'd probably just get a custom size from a place like Craft Art or Boos.

marcolo- You mentioned not needing end grain unless going through bones.
    What's your take on the difference between if I do edge grain or plank? I think I'm hearing that although they are surely different it really doesn't matter too much. I think it depends on the wood type. On the Craft Art info they sent it seems walnut whether plank or edge has low grain variability so wouldn't look much different whether edge or plank. (except with plank the boards would be wider)

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

There's a reason no one uses wood in surgery...