Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Escaping Hood Hell, live_wire, others please help?

kksmama
10 years ago

Some of you will remember that I tortured myself and those patient enough to read my posts with how to make a hood go up to 12' without seeming too tall and dominating the room. Here is the link:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0606574821332.html

The great news is that I don't really have to go all the way up! Adjacent rooms have lower ceilings, so I can simply go through the wall at a more appropriate height and then through the attic to the roof. It makes the dimensions much easier to handle and here is the latest drawing:

The perimeter cabinets are white shaker, the island is espresso, so I've intended to make the bottom and top of the hood white, and the middle espresso, which is why there is the 8" of negative space on either side (thanks live_wire):

Traditional Kitchen by Minneapolis General Contractors Stonewood, LLC
An alternative would be to forget this design and go with a simpler, all white, shaker hood connected to the upper cabinets (which could then be wider like the lowers) like this one:

Traditional Kitchen by Minneapolis Kitchen & Bath Designers Casa Verde Design
Venting has consumed more of my budget and much more of my time than anything else! I have to move on, but after all that I'd like this to be more than "okay": which design gets me closer to hood heaven? If I go with the two-tone, should the bottom be more like 9" instead of 12, with the dark part more like 29" instead of 26"? Set it a little lower and add a slight arch to the front panel? WWYD?

Comments (3)