Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerdev

Do I need a backsplash if I have a 12" backguard for my stove?

GardenerDev
10 years ago

I am doing a kitchen remodel, and am trying to figure out how to protect the wall behind the stove. Being new to kitchen remodels, I didn't realized that a backsplash serves a protective function from the stove heat, so I was planning on just skipping the backsplash to avoid the added expense and because I don't like the look where it stops.

I bought a DCS RGT-366 on Craig's List, and was reading the installation manual yesterday, and it said that a backguard is mandatory, I don't want a full height one, but think the 12" might be okay. What I'm wondering is, if I get that 12" backguard, do I still need Hardiebacker behind the stove and/or a tile backsplash, or will the backguard provide all the protection I need for the wall? Regarding water damage, my sink will be on a peninsula, so water hitting the wall is possible, but is a bit less of a concern than in some kitchens. Is there anything else I should be keeping in mind as I make the decision for backsplash vs no backsplash?

Also, if I do need more than just the backguard, is there a paint grade cement board and a heatproof paint that I could use, or do I have to do tile, glass or solid stone? If it has to be stone, is it okay to use a solid piece of silestone? Or if I use glass, are there specific specs I need - is tempered enough, or does it need to be laminated, or is there some other requirement?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

No, if you are using the 12" backguard you do not need a full backsplash up to the height of the range hood.

The specs require the use of a standard or full backguard if the horizontal distance to a vertical flammable substance is less than 12". So the standard backsplash according to spec is enough.

It requires 30" above for a non-combustible surface and 36" for a combustible surface, so your hood will need to be 30" above the cooktop. You will have 18" of wall surface between the bottom of the hood and the top of the 12" backguard.

It does not require that the hood be wider than the cooktop, but it is usually recommended that the hood be 3" wider on each side than the width of the range, so a 30" range gets a 36" hood, a 36" range gets a 42" hood.

• kai615
    10 years ago

I will disclaim this post by telling you am no expert. I am a diyer.

We are doing our kitchen and trying to stay with a more vintage style look. I also hate the idea of a "traditional" style backs plash of tile, stone, glass and everything else I keep seeing. We are doing wood behind our sink and counter area to keep the water from damaging the wall. I know it seems counter intuitive - wood - but if you seal it right, wainscoting of some sort has been used for many generations. I decided to stain mine, much like the pic I added below.

[Rustic Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rustic-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2111) by College Station Home Builders Ellis Custom Homes LLC

The wood is easy and cheap. It comes in tons of profiles at HD and Lowes, look for the 3/4 pine profile boards. Most all the profiles you can use either side of the board for different profile options. It is kind of time consuming to sand, stain and do many coats of poly (I did 5 on mine), but if you painted it would probably be much quicker, I just love the look of color stain (I did almost the same color as the photo above). I did the entire 8' (from counter to ceiling)wall and another 4' (from ceiling to floor) section on the other corner for under $150, another $30 for stain and polyurethane.

As far as the stove, I am not sure if you can or should run the wood behind it. For aesthetics, we are putting a vintage tile right behind the stove. Honestly I have yet to find a new tile that looks nice or would go in our kitchen, however, I have found plenty of neat looking old stuff in reclamation warehouses and even on Ebay that is nice and even cheap. I am personally only running the tile up a bit, but I am one of those horrible OTR microwave people (unavoidable in my tiny kitchen) so I wont need much tile, probably only 5 6x6 pieces. But my point is there are other places to shop to find some really neat and unique stuff besides the expensive tile shops.

Good luck.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

You could also just put a sheet of stainless steel there too, plain or patterned. Very simple, attractive, and functional.

• GardenerDev
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many thanks for the answers and ideas! Stainless and wood are gorgeous, and it's good food for thought to consider using some wood on the partial wall that runs along the start of the peninsula. For behind the stove, it's great news that I don't need the backsplash or any further protection beyond the backguard - for now, I think the backguard will look good and will be nice and simple and inexpensive, so I'll plan to go with that. I'll post some pictures when it's all done, though it will still be a little while!