Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper for my hood?

Posted by kksmama (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 7:40

I'm sorry to bother you all about this again, it has been the most difficult part of my kitchen remodel. I think I've got the bones right, thank to live_wire_oak in a previous thread; here is the drawing. The "body" will be a little taller and I think the top molding will be, too, like the inspiration picture, but with straight body sides.
 photo posthoodwall_zps2259c15e.jpg

I've been trying to work in the painted white of the cabinets and the stained espresso of the island, but am not so confident about the stained wood. I love copper, but have tried to ignore the yearning because of the expense. But I remember that circuspeanut used copper for DIY counters, and I'm thinking that some (thin?) sheet metal used as a cover can't be too expensive, can it? I doubt my cabinet maker has done it, but it can't be all that difficult, right?
Here are some inspiration pictures from Houzz, could something like this work for me? I know I could faux paint, the bottom one is done that way...but I'd really love the real thing! At a medium level of patina,I think it would tie in my warm wood floors and the espresso island. I have some copper décor items in the adjacent room, and could add more. I've been thinking of my kitchen as leaning toward transitional/modern...is copper with a patina always traditional?

And this one with bronze cladding

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper for my hood?

I think patina'd copper can go in so many directions... modern, rustic, traditional. I may be using a copper panel behind my vintage stove in a rustic-y leaning kitchen redo.

Someone on here told me they got theirs from an HVAC company. Hmmm. I know Angie DIY did a copper front for the fridge. Circus had the counter top. I can't think of the name but this very nice GW'er had a big spread.... Allison!

Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allison's copper hood

o

Oh wow, Allison's kitchen is amazing! I adore that iron seal behind the range. Thank you, Deedles, I'll do some searching for posts by those GWers that might give me direction on finding/using copper.

o

I had a beautiful copper hood in a medium patina in my old traditional light yellow kitchen with dark wood floors. I think it would be just as beautiful in a transitional kitchen. The only thing to consider IMO is whether you like the look of copper with stainless appliances and whatever finish you have on your cabinet hardware. I did antiqued stainless hardware that was nearly black and then the stainless stove and stainless handle on the fridge.

I was thinking about doing a zinc hood in my current kitchen to better match all the stainless stuff, but couldn't get my act together. If you can find a place that will do a copper veneer, I think it will be stunning.

o

I think copper would look gorgeous. I would love to have my stainless hood clad with copper but have no clue how to make it happen.

o

Thanks, Finestra. GW has some amazing threads on this in the metalworking forum, I'll link the longest one here for future searchers.
You are right, I do have to worry a bit about the metal finishes. I'm wishing I'd gone with a cabinet front fridge instead of stainless......I don't think it can be changed. I had planned to go with satin nickel hardware, I'm using stainless finish faucets. Maybe orb, though I'm not so sure about that against very white cabinets...

Here is a link that might be useful: All about copper counters and hoods

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here