Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookworm61

all pulls or knobs and pulls?

bookworm61
14 years ago

Hi,

I am up to the point where I need to pick pulls and/or knobs. Has anyone done all pulls instead of knobs and pulls? My concern about this is that the pulls on the drawers are horizontal and the pulls cabinets are vertical. Not sure if that would look funny. My only issue with knobs is on lower cabinets where they are sometimes a problem snagging on clothes. Otherwise the combined look of pulls and knobs is fine to me.

Any photos would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• lilyinmtl
    14 years ago

I will be doing all pulls. I will have larger versions of the same pulls on the upper cabinets and they will be placed vertically whereas the pulls on the drawers will be horizontal. Sorry, no pics as my kitchen is a work in progress right now but I don't believe it will look funny. The workers and I held them up before I decided and I think it will look quite nice. I was going to put the shell variety of pull on the drawers and decided against it. I opted against knobs on my lower cabinets for the same reason as you indicated. My old kitchen had knobs and it got to be annoying at times.

• User
    14 years ago

I have handles and pulls, and I think it looks fine. No knobs for me at all.

• lilyinmtl
    14 years ago

sorry bookworm, I should have said I would have handles everywhere and not pulls. Forget everything I wrote!!!

• kmgard
    14 years ago

I have pulls on all the drawers, and knobs on all the doors. So the result is all knobs on the uppers, with a mixture of knobs and pulls on the lowers. I'm very happy with how it functions and how it looks!

• bookworm61
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. Those photos were very helpful. I think I will probably go that way.
    Now, though, I have read through some old forum topics and it seems I may need to think about the size of the pulls because some drawers are wide and deep and may need some more substantial hardware. Is that true or can a regular sized pull work on those drawers?

• charlikin
    14 years ago

I have all pulls. I think the vertical vs. horizontal thing looks fine. (I did somewhat large pulls, too, because I didn't want my hand to feel cramped using them. :-))

{{!gwi}}

• Fori
    14 years ago

You don't need bigger pulls for the big drawers unless they look goofy with the small ones. Modern drawer slides don't require anything special.

It's all about looks!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I just posted this on another thread!

I put knobs on all doors & the 6" pullouts flanking my cooktop. I put drawer pulls on all drawers & the trash pullout.

My drawer pulls are 4" on center.

The knobs are spaced 1" in from the side and on the upper cabinets 3" up from the bottom edge, while on the base cabinets 3" down from the top edge.

For the drawers, I put one pull on drawers = 30" wide. The pulls are centered vertically. Horizontally, when there's one pull, it's centered; where there are two knobs, they vary...the ones on the 36" drawers are 8" from the edge, on the 33" drawers they're 7-1/2" from the edge, on the 30" drawers they're 7" from the edge.