Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poodlemom_2008

White dot on my dark Caesarstone

poodlemom_2008
15 years ago

I had my lagos blue Caesarstone installed the other day. The counters look really nice; however, right smack in the middle of one section is a small white dot. We ran our fingers along it and it's not a chip, just an imperfection.

Again, it's small and anyone visiting would probably think it's fuzz from a napkin, but I know it's going to drive me crazy. There's got to be a way to camouflage it. I'm thinking of maybe dabbing it with a brown Sharpie, but was wondering if anyone else had any better ideas.

Thanks alot!

Comments (11)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I think I'd call the installer and see what they suggest. That would be unacceptable to me.

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

Excuse my ignorance, but didn't I read that you choose slabs for Caesarstone like you do granite? I'm looking at quartz, too, and wondered. For what it costs, I would expect perfection.

• deegw
    15 years ago

Someone had a similar problem with an engineered counter not too long ago. I think it was on her island and it looked like someone splattered paint. I don't think it was considered a defect, just something that happens in the manufacturing process. She might have ended up ripping it out and getting something different (??). Hopefully someone with a better memory will chime in. I say call the installer and if they are no help, try a Sharpie.

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

Deee, I believe it was Cambria, and she had a big splotch of orange, instead of being evenly distributed. She was not happy. I would definitely go up to NH to approve my slab. Especially with a dead white, any imperfection will stick out like a sore thumb.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

I have Cambria Bristol Blue, and went to approve my slabs. I did find a small white dot on one, which was duly labelled to ensure they didn't use that part. Manufacturers do indicate on their websites and in their literature what size of imperfection is to be anticipated, and this sounds like something within their tolerances. I would recommend to anyone to get quartz, but to make sure they go and approve the slabs.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

there's something called 'resin pooling' that can happen with the engineered quartz surfaces. the 'glue' that binds the quartz together pools up and doesn't blend into the overall look.

the person with the cambria posted pictures of hers and it looked terrible. huge bright orange splotches in the middle of a brown-ish counter. i believe she was told that her situation was within the acceptable amount of resin pooling (which is a travesty, since it looked hideous).

yes, always approve your slabs in person.

to the OP--you should talk to your fabricator and perhaps to caesarstone, but given that it's such a small dot, i'm thinking they'll be little help to you. a sharpie might be your best option. maybe ask them if there's something else that might be a more permanent suggestion.

• poodlemom_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your quick responses.

I did some really careful scrutinizing, and now find another white dot (same size) by the faucet, and, get this, a 2-inch long small crack near the end of the run! (it looks like a tiny river on a map -- just a little white showing, but, who knows, that could eventually open up!)

(You know, when the fabricators finish and are standing there with the paperwork for you to sign, you can only really tell so much under the circumstances).

I just called the place I purchased it from and they're calling Caesarstone on my behalf. They said Caesarstone will probably send someone out to look at it. Seriously, for over $4,000, I should get a better product!

Thanks again for your responses...will keep you posted on what happens next.

• sayde
    15 years ago

Hi live wire
    Your posts were very informative. Can you please answer a couple more questions?

Is the color irregularity more likely to occur or to be noticeable in light or dark colors of Caesarstone? Or are there any particular colors that are good or bad in this respect?

Can one see the slabs they're getting before installation, and if there is a color irregularity, can one ask for a different slab?

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

I had a super small chip on my dark brown zodiaq and had a fix nightmare...one guy said that he would have actually dabbed a sharpie on it instead of bringing out the big guns which ruined the slab....so I say break out the sharpie...

• logic
    15 years ago

Lagos Blue will also show white when it chips..and it can indeed chip. I chipped my sample very easily by dropping a buttter knife on it which landed handle down.

That said, maybe the best bet is to indeed find a sharpie that matches the counter...and keep it on hand.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County