Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joygreenwald

T Minus 24 hours...

joygreenwald
9 years ago

...until I am kitchenless.

I have all day to finish emptying my kitchen and set up my temporary eatery (in my kids' playroom in our basement). My before pictures will look cleaner than my kitchen every looked IRL. ;) (I did snap a few with all the mess.) I plan to cook one more meal in my current kitchen. Then it's all BBQ, microwave meals, and whatever I can make in my electric skillet. (Plus, I'm sure, take out.)

At this point it's 99% stress, 1% excitement.

Stay tuned for updates...

Comments (13)

• linste22
    9 years ago

It's demo day for me too, so I understand your excitement. -and anxiety!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Wait until you come home tomorrow - you'll be thrilled (even if working in a temporary kitchen does become "old" later)

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So TIRED. And there's still more to pack/move. I am going to die in this house because if it's this hard to pack up one small kitchen, I never want to pack up a whole house. Yeah, this is our forever house. The prep for this reno has sealed it. ;)

• brightm
    9 years ago

Hang in there. Each step seems gruelling in it's own way. But I hear that it's worth it in the end (as my electrician is trying to solve the puzzle that IS getting electrical into my island).

• rebecca51
    9 years ago

Our demo day was today after 7 months of planning. We spent the weekend packing up the kitchen and moving essentials into the dining room and office. I agree - that's a lot of work - I found things stuck way back in cabinets that I hadn't seen in years! Can't wait to have all drawers below the countertop so that doesn't happen again. Panic is now setting in while i start to second guess all the big decisions.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

Enjoy the calm now before the madness begins! It is an exhilarating ride-so worth it at the end (or so I am told).

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is how we stated the day (I never put up any before pics before, even when asking for advice because they were so embarrassing. I really intended to clean first. Lol)

This post was edited by joygreenwald on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 7:28

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is how we finished. I have a few more things to put away this morning, but I was exhausted. And all the booze out in the open just seemed so appropriate. ;). Every part of me is sore!

P.s. Evidentially, I'm still exhausted. I needed to edit both posts to make them make sense. Ahh, typos in the morning.

This post was edited by joygreenwald on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 7:32

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Yep, keep the liquor in a convenient place for the next few months :)

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

End of day 1! I might be moderately less stressed and slightly more excited. Lol. Cabinets arrived but are still flat packed. The uppers, appliances, and plumbing are out. Wall is gone.

• rebecca51
    9 years ago

End of our day 2 (sorry, no pics): All cabinets removed except those in laundry room. Tile laid in master bath (our kitchen reno includes a few extras). Your cabinets look a lot like ours - 1980 oak?

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rebecca, And here I was thinking that my folks made AMAZING progress. LOL This is kind of fun. Let's keep checking in with each other.

I don't think the old cabinets were oak. They had been refaced with something that looked more maple to me. And behind the face frame, they were 1950s shelves.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Never stop stressing. I left town to visit my parents feeling pretty good about where we were. Then electrical happened. Evidentially, the originally electrician never heard of Code (which changes). Or sense.( which has never included knitting wires back and forth though a 2x4.). Goodbye budget.