Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigisland555

10 Foot Island - 2 or 3 Pendants?

bigisland555
12 years ago

Our island will be 4'x10' and we had originally had 3 fixtures installed but we are contemplating 2 because of the size of the lantern-style light I want to use. I know most would say 3, but the width of this light is 12" which seems to go either way - any help would be appreciated.

It's a Progress lighting pendant similar to one at Pottery Barn.

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/foyer-lights/progress-lighting-p3617-88-3-light-hall-foyer-light-heirloom_g140356.html?isku=782211&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

Comments (20)

• kayckay
    12 years ago

I would go with 2. Unless they are exceptionally small/narrow. Ours is just shy of 10 feet and 5 feet wide, and we went with average sized pendants and it looks great, more than that would be an overkill in my opinion and our kitchen designer felt strongly about that too.

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

For a 10' island I'd definitely say 3. The description says that the height is 22" from the top of the ring to the bottom of the glass, so it looks like the width is measured from the outside edges of the metal loops, not the glass. (So the glass may not be as wide as you think.)

Here's a mockup on graph paper (big square = 1 foot). Don't know how tall your ceiling and island are or how low you want them to hang, so the height is just a guess (vertical lines = ceilings at 8, 9, and 10'.). But size-wise the lights compared to the island should be about right.

{{!gwi}}

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

my island is 6x9 and we have two lanterns, 14" wide each.

{{!gwi}}

• bigisland555
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much! We have 9' ceilings. With this recent and major deletion of a 30" cabinet from our island (once the drywall was completed we went to the house, drew out the 12" island and it was then that I was mortified at how long it looked) I wanted to make sure with the lighting as we've obviously got to pay to have the electrician come back out to change the lighting.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I would do three. Three is a visual pleasing, balanced look anyway, and the six od your island could carry three 12" wide fixtures. Chicagoans visual is great.

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

kateskouros those lanterns are terrific! your kitchen is coming along beautifully.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Kris_ma's trick reminds me of the one I've seen mentioned here before. Hang paper plates the approximate size of your fixtures. I don't have paper plates, but I do have balloons. Thanks, Kris!

• dmbnwb
    12 years ago

Kateskouros's love your laterns. Can you share where you got them? Would really appreciate it!! Thanks

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Chicagoans has a good point about the measurements. It will be 11 1/4" from outer loop to outer loop and the diameter of the glass may only be 8". Three lights.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

If you have a very large pendant and a low ceiling two
    might be plenty. If you have a high ceiling and small
    pendants more could work.
    For me it is a visual thing. What works is what looks
    nice to my eye.
    hope these ideas help.
    ~boxerpups

• kayckay
    12 years ago

Kates your kitchen is so beautiful. Your marble is incredible!

• sthomas6978
    12 years ago

Kateskouros do you mind sharing the dimensions of your kitchen? I'm trying to make sure a put an island that is a nice size in a kitchen of 14x16, my architect currently have a 3x4 on my plans, and I'm thinking it's not large enough. The island will be used more for entertaining because there is a raised bar over the sink that will be used for eating?

• muskokascp
    12 years ago

Those are great pictures Boxerpups. Our island is 10'3" and we plan on 3 pendants that are about 10.5" each. Not here yet or I would get you a pic. I think it depends more on the size of the pendants and how much light you require over the island.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Ours are fairly wide lights, so we used 2 for a 9 foot island. We have tall ceilings and an island hood in the middle. YMMV

• User
    12 years ago

Boxer, I had fun scrolling through this set of images of yours, above, counting fixtures -- "3 ... 2 ... 4 ... 3 ... 12. Twelve?!" That's a look I hadn't seen before.

• kseeger
    8 years ago

dianalo

What is the width of your lights? Our island will be about 9.5 width x 5 ft depth and I'm trying to decide if the lights I'm looking at we should go be the 19" diameter or 15" diameter and how many. Anyone else want to chime in would be wonderful!! :)

• agamba
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@kseeger Old thred but curious what you went with?

• marihoula
    5 years ago
    Our kitchen island is 10 x4 in a great room scenario. I am in love with a pendant but it is only 6.6" wide. I planned on 4 . Ceilings are 12'. Will this be appealing????
  • D Macky
    last year

Great suggestions and inspiration for me. Feel free to chime in on my dilemma, 10‘3“ long island, new house, three pendant rough-ins, 32-inch centers. Initially I thought I should move the rough-ins to 34 to 36, but the more I think and obsess about pendant size and spacing, 32 may be OK.

I Found a 16” x 19.75” height, round pendant I ordered it and we’ll see what it looks like in the space since I’ve tried the paper plates and balloons and I still have a hard time visualizing. Here is what I’m considering.

Brandywine Collection 3-Light Farmhouse Sphere Pendant Light Silver Ridge.