Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

Knife block in drawer

olivertwistkitchen
10 years ago

We are getting this, but what are the ins/outs of the different styles? Some are just flat and straight. Others are wavy. How do I accommodate both short knives (5" or less) and long chef knives? Thanks.

Comments (35)

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I'm exploring now, too. Williams Sonoma is back ordered but has the same price as Amazon on the wavy one; the Container Store has the kind with cork-like flexible dividers. Both stores have variations of both types, I intend to see them in person but the wave seems to use space more efficiently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Williams Sonoma wusthof block

• angela12345
    10 years ago

I am using a Hampton Forge drawer knife insert that I got from Target. It is 6.2" wide instead of 9" wide as the Wusthof, so saves a bit of my drawer space. Same length. When I got it, it was much less in the store than the online price, but I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it. It holds 5 large knives and 6 small knives. Another thing I like about it over the Wusthof is that it doesn't have the spot for the knife sharpener. We don't use that kind of sharpener, so this would have been a wasted slot for me.

The smaller knives go in the upper space and the larger knives go in the lower. See the picture on the packaging that shows the knife block with knives in it.

edited to add picture

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.target.com/p/hampton-forge-drawer-knife-block/-/A-11141793

This post was edited by angela12345 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 11:52

• ControlfreakECS
    10 years ago

I've had the Henckels version for years (despite the fact that I have Wusthof knives.) I don't remember any more why I liked the Henckels better, but I do recall comparing them. It holds 6 large and 6 small plus a steel. . . . my tomato knife just barely fits in the small slot, when we got it the large slots were already full. Anyway, I've always liked it and we have continued to use it post remodel. In fact, I made sure I had a good place for it in the prep zone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Henckels 13 slot in-drawer knife tray

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

I have two of the same style knife blocks (the "wavy" ones with the smaller knives--steak and paring-- in one layer and the larger chef and bread knives in another) as angela 12345. They are placed side by side in my cutlery drawer. The two-level storage is a very space efficient design. I think I bought mine at Home Depot or Lowes for significantly less than the Target price.

By the way, it would be easy to cut one block to a narrower width if you need more slots than provided by one large block but don't have space or need for two full blocks.

Once you decide on style, I would suggest you check out the "used" blocks on Amazon. They are probably just returned items and not really "used." You can usually save 20% or so off their "new" price and get free shipping with Amazon Prime. Sometimes really good bargains show up here.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So the wavy one lets me "stack" and put the shorter knives on top? In contrast to this Rev-a-Shelf model which I kind of like better (I don't like wavy) but would be twice as wide 18-1/2" (470mm) W x 22" (559mm) D x 2-7/8" (60mm) H to store 19 knives.

[Cabinet And Drawer Organizers[(https://www.houzz.com/products/kitchen-drawer-organizers-prbr0-br~t_438)

Some criticisms of the Wustoff one is the dowels that are on the bottom. I could see how that would be annoying. Do the others posted above also have these dowels, or are they solid wood on the bottom? Thanks.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

The best money I ever spent was $14.99 for a Grundtal Magnetic Knife Rack from IKEA. The knives are easy to see, easy to reach for adults, & don't get nicked, and............. I don't lose a drawer to storing knives.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knife Rack

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

The best money I ever spent was $14.99 for a Grundtal Magnetic Knife Rack from IKEA. The knives are easy to see, easy to reach for adults, & don't get nicked, and............. I don't lose a drawer to storing knives.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Knife Rack

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the thought, but I definitely want them in a drawer.

Why is it that I have to obsess about even the littlest things? I'm so tired of obsessing over these things but I can't help it!

• williamsem
    10 years ago

We have the wave one, I think Wusthof. Amazon warehouse deal. It does have dowels, we put the knives in blade up, just like we did when we had the countertop model. So far we are loving it!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I haven't had a chance to really use my Wusthof yet - I put it in the drawer, but until we have countertops (next week), we aren't using the kitchen much. I do think I'll like it, though. One of the goals of my remodel was to reduce clutter on the counters - and two knife blocks seemed cluttered to me. I did hang on to the blocks, in case I change my mind when we actually start using it - and I see how the counters look.

Beverly27, my Mom has a magnetic strip like that - it's on the side of the cabinet next to her sink. It does work well, though small paring knives can slip off. I specifically planned a drawer in my kitchen for knives, so I don't feel like I'm losing anything.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Just a question for you knives in the drawer people from a knife block on the counter person:

I understand you have ample drawer space and don't want clutter on the counter. However, in reality, I'm usually wanting maybe a different knife while I have sticky pineapple juice or chicken ick on my hands and can just reach for a knife without 1) having to visualize where it is in the drawer, or 2) transferring the stuff on my hands onto the drawer pull.

Before you prep, do you get all the knives out of the drawer that you plan to use?

• williamsem
    10 years ago

We generally use one knife. Most often the santuko knife or chef knife. If I plan on needing two knives, I generally take them both out, but that's rare. I'd probably rinse my hands first if taking a second knife out, that's what I did with the block too since I always managed to get stuff on the neighboring knives because they are so close!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I have used the same one Angela pictured for years. Works great for all sizes of knives.

• hsw_sc
    10 years ago

I have the Wusthof drawer blocks and really like them. One is a 7 knife block and the other is the 14 knife block. I have them in a drawer together and they are exactly 13" wide, hold 21 knives plus a sharpener. The dowels have never bothered me in the 4+ years that I have had them. I bought them for around $50 via Amazon and they are moving with me to NC :)

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

I actually purchased the Rev-A-Shelf knife drawer insert, but upon receiving it, I noticed that several of my larger chef's knives rock back (the handle lays down) and the tip of the knife stuck up from the holder. I was so disappointed!

I am now looking at the Miu 15-slot knife tray. Do any of you have the Miu? How do you like it?

Here is a link that might be useful: MIU 15-slot Knife Tray on Amazon

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    10 years ago

The "wavy" type of storage seems to be taller than the Rev-a-shelf type. The drawer I'm using is quite shallow and I found that I can't keep my chef's knife in my "wavy"-style block at all: the handle will tip up enough to block the drawer from opening!

I'm sure your knife drawer has better clearance than my "pre-reno" drawer, which has 4.25", but I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

hth

edit: ps: I have a bamboo in-drawer block from BBB that has extra slots on the top back for smaller knives like a tomato knife. I don't see it anymore on their web site though.

This post was edited by mtnfever on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 16:14

• bcafe
    10 years ago

I have a drawer block from Ikea that works great and looks great too.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I had a straight block and a total waste of space and the tips stuck up in the air. It didn't hold many knives. Love my wusthoff with the steel in the middle. I also tried a few other styles and returned them.
    Anyone need a 21 inch straight block knife holder?

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I've seen in-drawer knife holders like the ones pictured above at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I don't have one, but I think I'd like them.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I just got the wusthoff block from amazon and I must say that I am not liking the way my global knifes fit in them. There is a piece of wood in the bottom that is touching the cutting edge and I am concerned about wearing out the edge sharpness where the knife edge touches the wood. I think the design is flawed.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I have one of those two level ones in my utensil drawer. I can't remember if I got it at BB&B or Tuesday Morning, but it wasn't expensive. As someone else said, the small knives go in the top and the bigger ones on the bottom. I also have a knife block on my counter that holds the ones I use most: chef's, bread, and filet.

• maid_o_cliff
    10 years ago

I have ordered these, I have one very narrow drawer , that was always just a junk drawer.
    Hopefully these will do the trick for me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Drawer knife organizer set.

• LE
    10 years ago

Have had a block for years, but thinking of moving to a drawer in new kitchen. For those who have switched, was it easy or hard to get used to? Pros and cons? I know I'm just aiming for less visual clutter on the counters.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

We store the knives in our Wusthoff wave style with the cutting edge up.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Williamsem, I just tried that in mine, and the blades of the longer knives stick out above the wood. It would be dangerous for me to grab a knife form the top row.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just bought the Hampton Forge one at Target, and it has that open bottom thing with dowels like the Wusthoff. Can someone tell me if the Henckles or Miu or JK Adams is solid on the bottom? Thanks.

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

This is a still of the video demonstration on YouTube for the Miu knife tray...

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Unfortunately the Wustoff din't fit my knifes (especially the global knives) too well. The wood dowel in the bottom kept hitting the knife edge and I was worried about spot dulling.

You can see the wood dowels in this pic.

I also tried this cork one from container store. I liked it but won't fit in my drawer
    I decided to go with edge guards. This way, the knife is always safe and I like being able to get my knife out when I am setting up the prep and unsheath it just when I want to start chopping.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I just got this one today from BBB

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/14881-culinary-institute-of-america-masters-collection-bamboo-cutlery-drawer-storage.html

And it's perfect! It's by Culinary Institute of America. It's bamboo, and solid on the bottom (no wooden dowels). I love the solid bottom, the flat part in front, that it is not quite wavy, but most importantly, it seems to hold more knives (and not too wide a block either) than any of the others I looked at- 7 long and 8 small knives. Now it's off to return all the others!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Lori in the NW, I switched from a counter block to in-the-drawer. It was soooo easy to get used to, I can't believe I never switched before. Go for it.

For me, the visual clutter didn't reduce. The knives moved to the only drawer in the prep area, and it's so skinny (7.5") that spoons and flippers don't fit. So there's still a crock on my counter.

• Ashe42
    10 years ago

I also bought the Target in-drawer block and love it. I hate clutter on the counters so I used to have a magnetic rack inside the cabinet door in my old kitchen; bought the Target rack on impulse and I'm happy as a clam with it. I use very few knives so reaching in with messy hands hasn't been a problem; the one knife I'll use is out when I start.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

A magnetic rack inside a cabinet door - why didn't I think of that?!

Thanks, all for sharing your solutions (and olivertwist for the thread)! I ordered the same CIA one from Amazon, BBB was online only in my area and pricier with shipping.

I'll probably need edge guards or the magnet rack for extras, thanks for the picture GWlolo!

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Amazon was cheaper, but I ended up ordering 3 different ones from BBB because it was easier to return! No post office needed.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Oliver - that CIA one looks awesome! I might have to investigate getting one.
    Now - you might have to go get a set of CIA vessels to match (I found a good deal on a small set that had just the missing pots that I needed!)

• kksmama
    10 years ago

That was fast! I love this CIA organizer and it fit beautifully in the drawer with an off the shelf bamboo "expandable utensil tray" from Bed Bath and Beyond. I'll try to be patient and do some custom ordering from Wood Hollow but it feels great to get one drawer well organized.

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo utensil tray

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations