Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Stainless steel backsplash behind range?

hobokenkitchen
11 years ago

Just throwing around options/ ideas for a potential backsplash. Thinking of a sheet of stainless steel behind the range. Does anyone have this and if so where did you get it? Custom made or is it a stock piece we could order?

Our range is 48" - Ned to check the height we would need.

Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (13)

• eandhl
    11 years ago

I have a Kobe hood and ordered the SS BS from Kobe also.

• barbcollins
    11 years ago

Yes, we did this in one of our kitchens,

We got ours at HD but it was the standard 30". You might want to check if they can get a 48" one for you.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

My cousin has a ss bs, but only behind the gas range. It has a high mounted, very handy ss shelf. On holidays, she puts all the trays of food on the shelf until its time to put them on the table and they stay warm just from the heat of the range. I actually thought it was a warming shelf, but once I got TKO, I just had to know the details and alas, its just a shelf.

• maggieq
    11 years ago

Some ranges have coordinating SS panels available for a bs...we looked at the Bertazzoni one, but ended up using tile for the bs.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

We got ours from an Amish man who is a sheet metal fabricator. It was the best bargain in our kitchen. Well, that and the custom duct cover he made for us. The sheet metal that we put on the wall is 36 x 36 and cost us less than $30. He is located in Quarryville, not far from the Lancaster outlets, in case you are interested in making it a day out. If you are interested, I can get you his contact info. Send me an email. You leave him a phone message and he will call you back.

Nicest guy. I even showed up twice with "sheet metal emergencies" when we had some issues and he was able to help.

how's the baby?

Bee

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Many people where we live (rural and agricultural) have stainless back splashes that they have fabricated by local steel fabricators. I have a restaurant range steel back splash that came with the range. I will say that I have seen a number of these that have dark burn stains near the bottom behind rear burners. I have also seen marble back splashes with the same burn marks. Perhaps it has to do with cooking style?

• zelmar
    11 years ago

We got ours from a local sheet-metal shop/metal fabricator. We have a 48" range and it spans the distance between range and hood.

I read here that I should ask for "brushed" stainless. The grain runs horizontally. I'm not sure of the gauge, but it's pretty thin, maybe 28 or 32.

It's been up for 7 years and it works well. We don't have to clean it often, but when we do, it's easy. I think it cost $35, but that was a long time ago, now.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• lala girl
    11 years ago

We had a local metal fabricator cut ours - it was around $50. Cheap and neutral - my 2 favorite things!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I have to say, I love this look. So practical, too.

How are things going now that incompetent GC is gone? I hope that you are so deliriously happy (and probably sleep-deprived) with your new baby, that all that stress has just faded away.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I only have a 30" range but wanted a commercial grade stainless back splash with a lip for salt and pepper. I got a 2" ledge. In the next house I'll probably go with a 2 1/2" ledge to fit larger pepper mills. We have a glass mosaic tile where some are textured and I couldn't see me cleaning those all the time, although there is a stretch of the mosaic above the stainless. Ours was purchased online from Frigo Designs. The company was great to deal with not cheap but not over the top.

• ShawnEden
    11 years ago

You could always try a stainless steel mosaic as a backsplash instead of a flat piece of metal, its definitely more visually interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: MetalStainlessSteelTiles.com

• Jordyn Spann
    8 years ago

I'm not sure if this should be obvious to me or not... But when you use metal like this for behind the cook top, do you tile under it or just up to it?