Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkrazed09

Looking for Photos of Narrow Islands

kitchenkrazed09
13 years ago

I'm looking for any and all photos of narrow, approximately 2' deep, islands. Also curious to know what are the dimensions of the narrow islands, if you have them. Would be especially grateful to anyone who can post photos of narrow islands with "table" style seating at one end (chairs facing each other, instead of in a row like at a counter). Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Not sure if the pic I linked is an island or peninsula, but it is narrow and fabulous!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• krabbypatty
    13 years ago

There was a good thread with lots of pics on this a few months back. Weird--I had better luck finding it through a Google search than through a search on this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on narrow islands

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

Mine is 2' deep, but no eating area...

{{!gwi}}

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

As the resident "think breadboards!" voice, I urge anyone with this kind of narrow surface to consider putting a breadboard or two into the island/peninsula so that you can pull up a stool and sit with knees underneath the working surface for long sessions.

You young people may think that you will always be happy to stand at a counter for work. I may have thought that at one time, but no longer. A pull-out surface also allows you to sit and contemplate when working with recipe books, a newspaper, a quick cup of coffee. There's something different about being seated, as compared to standing, perhaps a different way for the brain to engage with the hands and eyes. Maybe it's just that I'm shorter than some of you and this makes the work more comfortable. Also, standing with your feet under the pull-out surface is a different kind of work from standing at a counter--less leaning and more straight-down energy can be exerted.

Our custom guy charged about $100 extra per breadboard. Worth it to me, although the next drawer below it is a little shallow if it's in a run with other adjacent top drawers.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses and suggestions so far.

Sabjimata - I have that exact photo in my inspiration file. Love, love, love that kitchen! Do you have any other information about it or photos from different angles?

KrabbyPatty - That link was great, it linked to even more threads.

Tinker - What length is your island? Love your kitchen, by the way, especially the idea to have glass doors installed in a base cabinet.

• leela4
    13 years ago

Here's pictures of mine:{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

My aisle widths are as follows:37" between island and bar area, 40.5" between island and dishwasher, and 49.5" between island and stove.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Leela - pretty kitchen, love your countertops. What's the size of your island? It almost looks like what I'm planning. How is the 37" aisle width? We should have about 38" or 39" in one area.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I don't :( but I do love that pic!

I second Florantha....I never had stools/island seating and now, *after* the remodel--I wish I had some! The pullout board sounds like a great idea to me :)

• leela4
    13 years ago

kitchenkrazed-Thanks. We love it too-I can't wait to be able to "really" cook in there.

Sorry I forgot to add this when I posted the pics above-the island is 24" x 72". We were going to place the island exactly in between the bar area and the DW/sink/refrigerator run, but we decided to give a little more room to the aisle in front of the sink etc. In our old kitchen we had a peninsula that ended about 30 inches from the refrigerator, so we were extra sensitive to having more room there. Things are so open now, and there are so many new ways to move around that the space between the island and the bar area seems fine.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Here are a few narrow islands.
    ~boxerpups

Wood Harbor Kitchen

Narrow Spanish Kitchen

Design Ideas Curved Counters

Houste to Home UK

Edwardian Green Cream Mai

Bugalow Kitchen

Pacific 20

Ahearn Blue Kitchen BD09

Hood Grey Remodeling

Blue Spec Newton

Typepad

The Cabinet Corner

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

My island is 24" x 80" - and that does include the island overhang.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

I know this isn't why you posted one of the images, boxerpups, but OMG I LOVE the ceiling in that Spanish kitchen! It simply puts that beautiful kitchen over the top. I could stare at it for hours. Dinner? What dinner? You want me to make dinner?! Sorry, no can do, I'm mesmerized by this incredible ceiling!

• akrogirl
    13 years ago

At present, I have a second, free standing island that is 2' deep. The thing I like about it is that it has a drop-down leaf that can add an extra 1' for serious prep work. Worth considering for areas where space is tight.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Leela and Tinker - Thanks for the info. That helps me get an idea what mine will look like.

Boxerpups - I always love your photos, I'm so glad you posted. I especially like the Houste to Home and the Ahearn Blue Kitchen. (I have a thing for windows.)

Akrogirl - That sounds interesting. What type of countertops do you have?

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

akrogirl's idea is a good one--the dropleaf countertop extension. One foot isn't very much, though. Depends on the situation--my mother in law had one that was probably about 24-30 inches additional workspace and buffet service space, but it didn't increase the width of the peninsula, only the length of it.

• aduncan81
    13 years ago

Please help! We're in the process of building now and trying to determine whether we should include an island in our kitchen. On paper the kitchen is 14'x14' and we were planning on adding a 3'x3' centered. Drywall is up and the length of the kitchen that includes the main walkthru is actually 13'9". The fridge (37" deep installed) is on this length too. We are now thinking narrowing this side of the island to 2' which would give us 40" from the front of the fridge and 40" to the other cabinets on the opposite side. The other sides would still have 42" clearance each and the island would be 3' on this side. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

{{!gwi}}

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

These are from Houzz.com.

• akrogirl
    13 years ago

The top of the island is butcher block. I should add that the 1' leaf goes the whole length of the island, so it does add quite a bit of extra work space :-) However, you could also do a leaf at one end for seating etc.

• akrogirl
    13 years ago

Aduncan81, if you post your layout in a separate thread, I am sure the wonderful posters here will be able to give you lots of great advice :-) Your questions are going to get lost in this particular thread.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Akrogirl.

Pricklypearcactus - Thanks for posting those pretty kitchens. I like the unique layouts.

Aduncan81 - I see you've already re-posted in a separate thread. I hope you received the help you needed.