Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Height of wall oven / micro convection combo

Posted by SadieV (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 5:35

Planning a complete kitchen remodel, and need to decide how to configure the cabinet for the wall oven and micro/convection oven. I don't have a lot of room, so I'm trying to fit a lot into a small space. I've selected the Kitchenaid KEBS107SSS wall oven (height 28 3/4"), and the Kitchenaid Convection/Micro Combo KBHS109SSS (height 20 1/2"). I would like to have a drawer at the bottom for baking pan storage, the wall oven above that, the micro above that, and then vertical baking sheet storage above the micro. I would like the drawer for pans as deep as possible (I do a lot of baking), but also need to be able to reach the baking sheets stored above the micro. Suggestions? If you have a similar setup, I'd love to see your pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Height of wall oven / micro convection combo

Hi Sadie - I have a cabinet with the set up you are looking for. The 20" drawer below the oven is deep enough that my contractor also built a pull out drawer for added storage which is great. The 28" wall cabinet above the microwave is great to stack my baking sheets and muffin tins. I attached an older link but it is from my facebook page and I have not figured out a better way to attach photos. I think if you send me a reply, I can then provide you a few PDF attachments of the configuration I have. My unit is an Electrolux Icon convection oven/microwave combo.

Here is a link that might be useful: conv oven/micro combo cabinet

o

I think I have a similar oven,micro/convection that you are considering. However, mine is a 27inch. I think yours is larger. My unit measures 43inches and the top of the micro/convection is 62inches from the floor. I have a very large (disorganized) drawer below and large deep cabinet above. Trying to post pics. Technology challenged!

o

o

Here's my oven/micro combo in my galley (can't get any farther away hence the two pictures lol) kitchen. Same as stacieann63 said, mine is a 27" oven so narrower than the typical 30". The micro shelf is oddly shaped since it originally held a state-of-the-art 1979 built-in micro, which I replaced with my own Amana after we moved in.

The micro cubby is 18" high. The cabinet above the micro is 21".
Photobucket

The oven is 29" high and the cabinet below it is 22".
Photobucket

The two cabinets are hugely deep to me but maybe because I've never had a wall oven before. I have my long-handled pizza peel in the top cab stored diagonally with extra inches to boot. The lower cab stores my pasta pot and large dutch oven, again with extra space behind. I have baking tray storage elsewhere so no dividers in these cabs.

I'm 5'7" and find it easy to get at both the oven and micro. The upper cab I can only reach the first 6" or so without a stepstool and the lower I can reach the pasta pot and dutch oven easily but have to kneel to get at the back (so I put rarely used knick knacks back there).

HTH

o

My oven cabinet is similar to what you described, although I have different appliances. The oven is 28 1/4" high, while the micro/convection is 17 5/8" and there is a 1" rail between them.

kitchen finished oven cabinets

Below the ovens there is drawer with dividers deep enough to hold cake pans and muffin tins. Above the ovens, we left a gap for the micro shelf that goes in and out frequently, and then installed tray dividers on the shelf above that. The top, deep shelf is for stuff we never use, since the cabinet goes to the 9 foot ceiling.

The micro/convection is mounted with the bottom at 49 1/4", since it opens down rather than to the side. We are all tall here, so that might still be too high if you're short.

o

Kitchen Sync is a blog by a kitchen designer. She discusses the ergonomics of oven placement. Great information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Sync: Cooking Ergonomics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here